Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You do know that's a 40% increase in overnight service on the aforementioned lines and all of that causes alot of money, right lupojohn?

No, because i'm not coming back from a bar stoned late at night(not directed at you. Directed at the heavy overnight crowd). Honestly, I never knew there was THAT much service overnight. As for the money issue, I don't want to hear it. If they didn't unnecessarily order new cars or do the Hudson Yards project(very few people use 11th Avenue) or SAS, they'd have money. The (MTA) is their own worst enemy in regards to their shortage in finances.

No, because i'm not coming back from a bar stoned late at night(not directed at you. Directed at the heavy overnight crowd). Honestly, I never knew there was THAT much service overnight. As for the money issue, I don't want to hear it. If they didn't unnecessarily order new cars or do the Hudson Yards project(very few people use 11th Avenue) or SAS, they'd have money. The (MTA) is their own worst enemy in regards to their shortage in finances.

There really isn't a need for more service. Except for the 1 sections north of 96th and south of Chambers on both lines in Manhattan, there is 10 minute headways on the line. Even if there was money, they still wouldn't implement it, because it's unnecessary.

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

I always wondered why the (3) was never extended to 34th Street - Penn Station; the switches are there, it's one station away, you could transfer to the Long Island Railroad, Amtrak, and New Jersey Transit (all which I don't know run at night; if they didn't, I realize why they don't extend it).

I always wondered why the (3) was never extended to 34th Street - Penn Station; the switches are there, it's one station away, you could transfer to the Long Island Railroad, Amtrak, and New Jersey Transit (all which I don't know run at night; if they didn't, I realize why they don't extend it).

Easier for transfers. 34th is designed to prevent people from transferring between the local and express. How it is now, a (3) can sit at 42nd and wait for the (1)(2) to drop people off. Nobody misses a connection. Can't do that at 34th because of the setup. The southernmost exit at 42nd is at 40th Street and there's a direct entrance into Penn at 34th. 6 block walk or wait a couple minutes for the local. How many people from the 2 stations served only by the (3) would be going to/from the Island during the 5 hours of overnight service?

It would be nice to revive the bay ridge line it would do south Brooklyn like a crosstown but it gotta make connections somewhere like Bway junction and by the M line but where would it head I'm thinking

How many times do we have to say that it won't work? If somebody wants to go from southern Brooklyn to Bushwick (which is rarely the case), they can (and will) transfer to the (A)(C) at Jay Street or via the Franklin (S). People didn't ride the (M) and the move you're suggesting could have been accomplished by a transfer to the (J)(Z) between Broad and Myrtle.

How many times do we have to say that it won't work? If somebody wants to go from southern Brooklyn to Bushwick (which is rarely the case), they can (and will) transfer to the (A)(C) at Jay Street or via the Franklin (S). People didn't ride the (M) and the move you're suggesting could have been accomplished by a transfer to the (J)(Z) between Broad and Myrtle.

The Bay Ridge ROW has merit. You've got fairly sizeable crosstown travel demand in Brooklyn (the B6 comes to mind), and any connection between Queens Blvd, Ridgewood, and B'way Junction is worth investigating. It would make a lot of cross-borough travel easier to do by mass transit.

Considering that the cost of laying an additional pair of tracks in the ROW isn't ridiculously high since nearly all of the ROW is wide enough, its cost-benefit analysis looks pretty good since the costs are much lower than any other comparable project save Rockaway Beach.

The Bay Ridge ROW has merit. You've got fairly sizeable crosstown travel demand in Brooklyn (the B6 comes to mind), and any connection between Queens Blvd, Ridgewood, and B'way Junction is worth investigating. It would make a lot of cross-borough travel easier to do by mass transit.

Considering that the cost of laying an additional pair of tracks in the ROW isn't ridiculously high since nearly all of the ROW is wide enough, its cost-benefit analysis looks pretty good since the costs are much lower than any other comparable project save Rockaway Beach.

The Bay Ridge ROW is worthwhile. I thought he was talking about sending a Nassau service down there. Relatively inexpensive and creates transfer points.

The crosstown would be very useful if it stopped at all the major lines (D)(N)(R)(F)(Q)(2)(5) and bus routes 

After Nostrand:

Utica-Kings Highway - B46, B7

Remsen Ave - B17

New Lots (L) and/or Junis-Lavonia (L)(3) 

Atlantic Ave (L) LIRR

Broadway Junction (A)(C)(J)(Z)(L)

Myrtle Ave - B55, B13 etc, you get the point.

Metropolitan Ave - 

Elliot Ave Q38

Grand Ave Q58/59

Roosevelt Ave with link to 74th St (7)(E)(F)(M)(R)  

Northern Blvd Q66

and either Ditmars Ave (N) or Laguardia Airport.

If not the High Gate with a crosstown 125th Street Line.

:P

DEFINITELY NEVER going to happen. Just one of my random pipe dreams. 

http://goo.gl/maps/MY1rE

Hey, what the hell, this used to be the 'Create Your Own Subway Route' thread, so don't go blaming me for foamy routes.  :rolleyes:

@N6 Limited Do ya mean hell Gate?  :P

@lupojohn You don't really see any service changes on the line really (Or so I think), so I don't get what's the problem.

Edited by TrainFanInfinity