Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

It's not really a new idea but rather finishing up on a project

Finish the E train extention into South Jamaica

Via Underneath Guy Brewer Blvd up the Blvd to Baisley Blvd Rochdale Village

With a small underground yard underneath Rochdale Complex

With stops at 109th Ave... Linden Blvd.. and last stop Baisley Blvd

I would've also sent the J via underneath Jamaica Ave to Belmont Park....

If it's feasible, extend it all the way down to Rockaway Blvd for an easier connection to JFK.

Also, why can't this just go in the new subway route topic?

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

B train to Forest Hills via 6 ave express via 63rd street tunnel queen blvd local. F train back to 53rd street M train to 145th Street(weekdays, night and weekend) extend to Bedford Park Blvd during rush hours via 6av/central park local Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another local turned express route? Nope. Not having any of it. The (Q) express/local setup already sucks.

It's not really a new idea but rather finishing up on a project

Finish the E train extention into South Jamaica

Via Underneath Guy Brewer Blvd up the Blvd to Baisley Blvd Rochdale Village

With a small underground yard underneath Rochdale Complex

With stops at 109th Ave... Linden Blvd.. and last stop Baisley Blvd

I would've also sent the J via underneath Jamaica Ave to Belmont Park....

Not Baisley, though. Rosedale like originally planned. The last 3 stations (Farmers Blvd., 224th St. and Francis Lewis Blvd.) are already built. Leaving, in my opinion, 109 Av. Linden, Foch, and Baisley Blvd. to be constructed.

The (M) from Metropolitan to 145/BPK is a terrible idea, because 6th Ave is not set up for local trains to go to the Bronx. It would slow down the whole railroad to have it go 2 to 4 N/B, and 3 to 1 S/B.

The (B) from Brighton Beach to Continental via 63 St could work, since the 63 St line can go either express or local at 47-50.

No on both ideas...

The B if anything should be extended full time to Bedford Park Blvd... Allows Exp D service

Also I would just simply bring back the V and W

The M can go back to Bay Pkwy 4th Ave Local...

V goes back to being QBL/6th Ave Local to 2ve... With plans to eventually extend into Brooklyn (provided Culver Line is completed)

W goes back to Whitehall St-Astoria

And being that the W is coming back to Astoria... the Q needs a new home...

Q to Parsons/Hillside via 63rd at QBL Exp... (Till the R stops running into Queens) then is cut back to 71st and Runs Local overnight via 60th St

Doing this give QBL the option to run the E Exp overnight or continue it's current local service but now giving riders Broadway access from QBL 24/7

OR you could just do the logical thing and just put the Q back to 57th/7th full time until SAS opens. You start by basically suggesting rolling the clock back to 2010 on 6th and Broadway, but then throw the curveball of a train that WILL NOT FIT.

The E and F already run on tight headways, and you want to throw Broadway into the mix?

No on both ideas...

The B if anything should be extended full time to Bedford Park Blvd... Allows Exp D service

V goes back to being QBL/6th Ave Local to 2ve... With plans to eventually extend into Brooklyn (provided Culver Line is completed)

Q to Parsons/Hillside via 63rd at QBL Exp... (Till the R stops running into Queens) then is cut back to 71st and Runs Local overnight via 60th St

Doing this give QBL the option to run the E Exp overnight or continue it's current local service but now giving riders Broadway access from QBL 24/7

No. We've discussed this to death. Ridgewood-6th Av is far more useful than the old V, and this would still be the case if it was extended through to Culver. Does Culver even need that much service, with 6th Av locals and express and the Crosstown?

No on both ideas...

And no on extending the (Q) onto the Queens Blvd Line, bringing back the (V) and reverting the (M) back to its pre-July 2010 route. The current (M) route is more popular than the old one was and is going to be extended to Essex St on weekends, eliminating the need to transfer to the (J) at Myrtle for Manhattan service. If it was still running the old route, you'd never see this happen. Why would you want to mess with that?

I don't disagree with bringing back the (W). The W should - and most likely will - come back when the (Q) is rerouted to 96th St and 2nd Ave. If the (R) is not enough and it is not possible or efficient to increase R service, and the loss of the old ( M ) is really that much of a loss, then perhaps resurrected the W should operate in Brooklyn to supplement the R at the local stops between 36th and Pacific (I will not call it "Atlantic Ave - Barclays Center"). And because the W will almost certainly be based out of Coney Island Yard, perhaps at least rush hour W trains can go into service at Bay Pkwy. At least then, they can cut down on deadheading and (D) line riders can have the option of direct service to downtown Brooklyn and Lower Manhattan again. Midday W service can run from Astoria to Whitehall; there's probably no need for the extra service in Brooklyn during midday hours.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

But then the question becomes this: will there be enough cars for a (W) service on the 4th Avenue/West End corridor once the R179s and/or R211s are delivered? How many people from South Brooklyn work in Downtown Brooklyn and Lower Manhattan than Midtown Manhattan?

I also wonder if you're aware that southbound (R) trains are almost empty leaving the CBDs every morning and northbound (R) trains are almost empty entering the CBDs every evening, respectively. Same happen with the old brown (M) that ran to/from Bay Parkway during rush hours.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

And no on extending the (Q) onto the Queens Blvd Line, bringing back the (V) and reverting the (M) back to its pre-July 2010 route. The current (M) route is more popular than the old one was and is going to be extended to Essex St on weekends, eliminating the need to transfer to the (J) at Myrtle for Manhattan service. If it was still running the old route, you'd never see this happen. Why would you want to mess with that?

The weekend (M) was going to be extended to Chambers before budget problems

The extension of the old M to Chambers was supposed to cut a three-train ride from Myrtle to midtown to a two-seat one. The current extension to Essex St solves that just as efficiently.

Still missing a direct connection to the (4), (5), (6), (N), (Q), and (R). An (M) to Chambers Street rather than just Essex Street is 4 times better in terms of reach.

I'm sure the (L) serving the west side of Manhattan has been proposed before. This one has an addition. The full details have been shaved back to lessen/eliminate confusion. Full details.

This new line serves the entire west side from Battery Park City to the Upper West Side. The new (K) line will provide 24 hour service along the entire route. The (L) will be split into two services with alternate trains going north and south. Late nights, weekends and major holidays the (L) would terminate on the center track at 20th Street 10th Ave.

Battery Park Station (Terminal) (K)(L)

Liberty Street-WTC Station

Harrison Street Station

Houston Street Station

Perry Street Station (K)(L)

14th Street  (L) line joins/separates here.

20th Street-10th Avenue Station (K)(L)
14th Street  (L) line joins/separates here.

33rd Street- 10th Avenue/Jacob Javits Convention Center Station

42nd Street Station (7)

54th Street Station

Lincoln Center Station

72nd Street-Broadway Station (Terminal) (K)(L)(1)(2)(3)

Any questions/criticisms are welcome.

I'm sure the (L) serving the west side of Manhattan has been proposed before. This one has an addition. The full details have been shaved back to lessen/eliminate confusion. Full details.

This new line serves the entire west side from Battery Park City to the Upper West Side. The new (K) line will provide 24 hour service along the entire route. The (L) will be split into two services with alternate trains going north and south. Late nights, weekends and major holidays the (L) would terminate on the center track at 20th Street 10th Ave.

Battery Park Station (Terminal) (K)(L)

Liberty Street-WTC Station

Harrison Street Station

Houston Street Station

Perry Street Station (K)(L)

14th Street (L) line joins/separates here.

20th Street-10th Avenue Station (K)(L)

14th Street (L) line joins/separates here.

33rd Street- 10th Avenue/Jacob Javits Convention Center Station

42nd Street Station (7)

54th Street Station

Lincoln Center Station

72nd Street-Broadway Station (Terminal) (K)(L)(1)(2)(3)

Any questions/criticisms are welcome.

Tunneling may not be feasible, particularly under West St, due to the fact that most of that area is fill. Think about the WTC Bathtub.

Still missing a direct connection to the (4), (5), (6), (N), (Q), and (R). An (M) to Chambers Street rather than just Essex Street is 4 times better in terms of reach.

Yep, and get ready for the weekend (F) to get hit even harder. Many Myrtle Ave riders who would normally just take the (L) into Manhattan (to avoid a 3 or 4 seat ride) are gonna do the (M) to the (F) so Delancey-Essex lower level is gonna be CRAAAAAAZY.

Tunneling may not be feasible, particularly under West St, due to the fact that most of that area is fill. Think about the WTC Bathtub.

I'm no engineer and I don't pretend to know the lay of the land, but I'm sure with the right planning, techniques, equipment and knowledgeable people, it's possible to drop the 'un' from unfeasible. I believe it's doable. Seems not many others think so. The thread title says "Create Your Own Subway Route!" Well here it is.

:rock:

I'm no engineer and I don't pretend to know the lay of the land, but I'm sure with the right planning, techniques, equipment and knowledgeable people, it's possible to drop the 'un' from unfeasible. I believe it's doable. Seems not many others think so. The thread title says "Create Your Own Subway Route!" Well here it is.

:rock:

Coming from an engineer, I'll tell you that, while possible, costs will be very high. We're talking at least 2-3 times the per-mile cost of SAS. You'd have to be deeper than PATH no matter how it is constructed. Everything would have to be built in a waterproof underground box not unlike the "bathtub" housing the WTC or in the bedrock underneath the landfill. Think Exchange Place and the Washington Heights stations are deep? This would be deeper if not in a bathtub. Then you'd have to build access shafts. Would a line further west be nice? Yep. But you'll never get it that far south while keeping it west of what currently exists. The (1) is about as far west as a line can go south of Chambers.

So all those buildings; hotels, apartments & condos, Battery Park City, the WFC...all that is built on/in the bathtub and this tub precludes any new projects from being built below them? I refuse to believe that the great minds of this millennium cannot come up with a plan to get this done without having to drill to China. The stretch from Battery Park to Chambers (your southern border) is about 1 1/2 miles. OK, it would cost more to build than it would outside that bathtub. When the plans to build the original WTC were drawn up very few people thought it could be done and the costs were astronomical, yet the job was completed. Many projects started with only a dream and a pencil.

Above Chambers the only problems would be the normal headaches faced in doing new construction. Building in the vicinity of the WTC complex might need cooperation with the PA, but if funding was available I see this as a doable project. I didn't know I'd need a BS in Engineering to defend it! :D

Any problem with the rest of the route above Liberty St?

Yep, and get ready for the weekend  (F) to get hit even harder. Many Myrtle Ave riders who would normally just take the  (L) into Manhattan (to avoid a 3 or 4 seat ride) are gonna do the  (M) to the  (F) so Delancey-Essex lower level is gonna be CRAAAAAAZY.

What happens when the uptown (F) runs on the (A)(C) line?