Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

Nassau St-4th Avenue service has been pitched in various ways. Whether it's though sending the J to 95 St or 9 Av or bringing back the Nassau M, the answer has pretty much been the same. The ridership for such a service just isn't there. Most riders on the 4th Avenue local want Broadway service.

Id really want it there to accompany the (R).The tImes i rode the (J) during the summer it was always on time unlike the (R).this gives 4 Av local riders a fallback service...

and I would just like to make it clear that I understand your points about ridership

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Id really want it there to accompany the (R).The tImes i rode the (J) during the summer it was always on time unlike the (R).this gives 4 Av local riders a fallback service...

and I would just like to make it clear that I understand your points about ridership

Exactly. Many more people who live in South Brooklyn work in Midtown Manhattan than Downtown Brooklyn and Lower Manhattan. Hence why the Montague Street Tunnel is the least crowded of all East River crossings. Hence why the (B), (D), (N) and (Q) trains are significantly more crowded coming from Brooklyn into Manhattan in the AM peak (and coming from Manhattan into Brooklyn in the PM peak) than the (R) train.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

You know what I think, I think the (J) should be extended to Brighton and be local and for a one seat ride to lower Manhattan/ downtown brooklyn

Edit: My plan in detail some J trains stored in ci yard, during the highest ridership point in the morning 12 J trains running 5 minutes apart on the local would deadhead to Brighton. They would have to enter service there on the local track without waiting for more than a minute. Then they would run local up until dekalb where they would switch to the montague line then they would take the existing path as the m used to take only till Jamaica instead of the m terminal. They would run in regular service up until 4 where they would start in Jamaica and go to Brighton. In order for this to happen some q trains would have to start at whitehall or prospect park

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Edited by NYSubwayBuff

I'm not sure if this idea has been tossed out there, but once SAS opens, how would a reactivated (W) From Astoria to Bay Ridge via B'way exp and 4av lcl work?  The (R) will get its much needed help and passengers get their B'way service.

Any station served only by the (R) has relatively low ridership. There isn't a need for more local service on the 4th Avenue line in Brooklyn.

Any station served only by the (R) has relatively low ridership. There isn't a need for more local service on the 4th Avenue line in Brooklyn.

North of 36th could use it, especially on weekends when the (R) runs irregularly. Service at 9th Street, a major transfer point, is miserable. Of course, that could be fixed by sending the (D) local on weekends (which would also shut up Brighton riders wanting an easy ride to 6th Avenue, as a same-platform transfer would be available).

I dont want to sound rude,but I suggest riding the (R) before making such a statement...

Been riding the (R) damn near daily too. As I told you before, if many more people from South Brooklyn (which also includes Bay Ridge) work in Midtown Manhattan than Downtown Brooklyn and Lower Manhattan, then why should there be more local service? Nobody is currently passing up the (R) due to severe overcrowding. Hell, even during the off-peak, Montague ridership is a hell of a lot more lower. With Montague closed, all the nearby alternative routes, taken together, can easily fully handle the (R) train's relatively smaller ridership in Lower Manhattan and Downtown Brooklyn. If some people get left behind on the platform, they will indeed run more service on this line or send another line in the long run to help out.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Been riding the (R) damn near daily too. As I told you before, if many more people from South Brooklyn (which also includes Bay Ridge) work in Midtown Manhattan than Downtown Brooklyn and Lower Manhattan, then why should there be more local service? Nobody is currently passing up the (R) due to severe overcrowding. Hell, even during the off-peak, Montague ridership is a hell of a lot more lower. With Montague closed, all the nearby alternative routes, taken together, can easily fully handle the (R) train's relatively smaller ridership in Lower Manhattan and Downtown Brooklyn. If some people get left behind on the platform, they will indeed run more service on this line or send another line in the long run to help out.

I hate to invoke the great VG8, but sometimes when I want to go deep into Bay Ridge (well, 86 St at least) when I come from New Jersey into Manhattan, I dial up a $20 Metrocard and hop the X28...lol

Most people do not realize that the purpose of express service is NOT to make a trip shorter, but is to even out loading.  Most locals take less than 5 minutes longer than the express covering the same distance.  The 1 only takes 5 minutes longer than the 2 and 3 between 96 Street and Chambers Street.  The 7 express only saves 4 minutes over the 7 local.  The 6 express only saves 3 minutes over the 6 local in the Bronx.  And the 5 Bronx Express is only 2 minutes shorter than the 2 local!  Even the 6 in Manhattan only takes 7 minutes longer than the 4 and 5 expresses, despite making 14 more stops!  On the IND,  in midtown and lower Manhattan, there are only 5 local stops between both the 6th and 8th Avenue lines!   

Most people do not realize that the purpose of express service is NOT to make a trip shorter, but is to even out loading.  Most locals take less than 5 minutes longer than the express covering the same distance.  The 1 only takes 5 minutes longer than the 2 and 3 between 96 Street and Chambers Street.  The 7 express only saves 4 minutes over the 7 local.  The 6 express only saves 3 minutes over the 6 local in the Bronx.  And the 5 Bronx Express is only 2 minutes shorter than the 2 local!  Even the 6 in Manhattan only takes 7 minutes longer than the 4 and 5 expresses, despite making 14 more stops!  On the IND,  in midtown and lower Manhattan, there are only 5 local stops between both the 6th and 8th Avenue lines!   

The problem is that 7 minutes can add up, particularly if trains are delayed and the subway is not the only part of your trip. Time is money.

I just see it causing confusion. One could just as easily make the (B) and (M) run on weekends to eliminate the 53rd Street issue.

You'd run into issues at the 34th Street interlocking as the (M) would have to switch between the express and local tracks. A few times over the past couple weeks, people with the (MTA) have posted that personnel assigned to a route get paid even if a GO suspends service. That's the reason why the (G) stopped running to Forest Hills- it rarely went there due to construction but the extra crews still got paid. Hence why 6th Avenue only operates with 2 services on weekends. Annoying, yes, but either 6th or 8th always has something going on and it allows them to reroute trains without suspending services and wasting money.

The (M) from Metropolitan to 145/BPK is a terrible idea, because 6th Ave is not set up for local trains to go to the Bronx. It would slow down the whole railroad to have it go 2 to 4 N/B, and 3 to 1 S/B.

The (B) from Brighton Beach to Continental via 63 St could work, since the 63 St line can go either express or local at 47-50.

Edited by Snowblock

B train to Forest Hills via 6 ave express via 63rd street tunnel queen blvd local. F train back to 53rd street M train to 145th Street(weekdays, night and weekend) extend to Bedford Park Blvd during rush hours via 6av/central park local Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

QB Local via 63rd street is less than ideal because it would skip the important Queens Plaza transfer point. 

The (R) would get hit harder because riders for 8th Av would be ill-advised to take the (B)

You'd also incur delays at 47-50 streets. 

It's an interesting idea - I'd love any Queens Blvd service to be an express in manhattan - but this proposal causes as many problems as it solves. What problem does it solve anyway? 

It's not really a new idea but rather finishing up on a project

Finish the E train extention into South Jamaica

Via Underneath Guy Brewer Blvd up the Blvd to Baisley Blvd Rochdale Village

With a small underground yard underneath Rochdale Complex

With stops at 109th Ave... Linden Blvd.. and last stop Baisley Blvd

I would've also sent the J via underneath Jamaica Ave to Belmont Park....