Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

It's not as bad as you're making it out to be...

I've seen it first-hand.

LMAO... Can't be any worse than the area over by Dyckman...   :lol:

Maybe you can come over from your penthouse at Henry Hudson Parkway and 239th to see for yourself since you've never been to Inwood, as you yourself stated   :lol:. In all seriousness, comparing the two areas is an insult to the hard-working folks here.

Edited by lupojohn

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen it first-hand.

Maybe you can come over from your penthouse at Henry Hudson Parkway and 239th to see for yourself since you've never been to Inwood, as you yourself stated   :lol:. In all seriousness, comparing the two areas is an insult to the hard-working folks here.

Well actually I have been to Inwood, just not east of Broadway... :lol: The Cloisters is located in Inwood, and is lovely, but west of Broadway, which is like a different world.

Well actually I have been to Inwood, just not east of Broadway... :lol: The Cloisters is located in Inwood, and is lovely, but west of Broadway, which is like a different world.

Have you ever actually been to Dyckman Street itself?

Edited by lupojohn

I've seen it first-hand.

My mother goes to church right on Bedford and Halsey, and my brother and his wife live on Franklin and Atlantic. I'm over there almost every weekend and have been for years and I can tell you it's not as bad as you're making it out to be...

My mother goes to church right on Bedford and Halsey, and my brother and his wife live on Franklin and Atlantic. I'm over there almost every weekend and have been for years and I can tell you it's not as bad as you're making it out to be...

It's a safe place to walk around during daylight hours, even if you're alone. I wouldn't say the same for 20 blocks east of there, in ENY, or in parts of Harlem and Washington Heights.

Since Red Hook has no subway service, I think that the (G) should be extended into Red Hook and have ~3 stops there. That way, it wouldn't run along the (F) for as long, where it's semi-useless.

Also, they should extend the (R) to Staten Island from Bay Ridge

How would the R get to Staten Island really

Via Verrazano Bridge or a newly built tunnel ?

And then where would it terminate once in Staten Island ?

I have an idea for the Staten Island Railway tho.. Establish the north shore already

Get those tracks redone and build new stations

New Brighton.. Livingston... West Brighton... Elm Park... Mariners Harbor... Arlington... Forest Ave... Goethals Rd... Bloomfield

Teleport... West Shore Plaza

Co-Op City Shuttle Loop  (S) (Underground)

Baychester Avenue  (5)

Darrow Place (Baychester/Darrow)

Dreiser Loop  (Near Garvey School)

Debs Place (Dreiser/Debs)

DeKruif Place (DeKruif)

Baychester Avenue (Near P.S 153)

Hemmersly Avenue (Edson/Hemmersly)

Burke Avenue (Edson/Burke)

Givan Avenue (Edson/Givon)

Baychester Avenue  (5)

Edited by DailyDose

Since Red Hook has no subway service, I think that the (G) should be extended into Red Hook and have ~3 stops there. That way, it wouldn't run along the (F) for as long, where it's semi-useless.

Also, they should extend the (R) to Staten Island from Bay Ridge

The (G) could then connect all the hipster communities!

Wasn't there that tunnel down in Bay Ridge that was started but never finished? It would make sense to finish it and connect the (R) to Staten Island that way.  But that's probably not going to happen in my lifetime.

Yup, evident by an unfinished spur immediately south of 59th Street, and the underground bridge north of Bay Ridge Ave, its four tracks not two which is both visible if you railfan the (R) , overengineering on the part of the Dual Contracts engineers in prep for the SI tunnel. There is also a closed up bellmouth under Owls Head park south of 95th St by the Verrazano Narrows Bridge.

What if the R went via verrazano bridge to staten island and merged with the SIR (thus requiring the SIR to become a subway) would this be possible? Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

The VZ bridge wasn't designed for rail traffic in the first place. Although the bridge is fairly young compared to the others in the city (built in 64 or something like that), it would still cost way to much to convert it to handle trains. The bridge approaches are steep enough as it is for cars

Wasn't there that tunnel down in Bay Ridge that was started but never finished? It would make sense to finish it and connect the (R) to Staten Island that way.  But that's probably not going to happen in my lifetime.

First, it was the (7) to New Jersey and now this. What's the big fascination with connecting NEW YORK trains to NEW JERSEY?

First, it was the (7) to New Jersey and now this. What's the big fascination with connecting NEW YORK trains to NEW JERSEY?

They've been talking about linking Staten Island since the days of the Dual Contracts. Tunnel approaches sort of already exist, but the biggest problem is figuring out how you would get additional trains using the 4th Av express tracks through DeKalb. If there was a way to directly link DeKalb's inner express tracks to Montague, it would be perfect as you could have a Staten Island express to Chambers St, but the actual logistics of it would be a bit tricky.

Edited by bobtehpanda

Since when was Staten Island part of New Jersey?

My mistake. You get my point, though.

This is the NYC metropolitan area, NJ should not be segregated just because it's a different state.

This is the NYC metropolitan area, NJ should not be segregated just because it's a different state.

No, but they should be segregated since they provide absolutely nothing to MTA finances.

If New Jersey wants the same regional tax that we in the New York section of the metro area pay, then it can get services.

I'm not arguing against that. It just seems ridiculous to me that NYC TRANSIT would extend a line to New Jersey when they have their own system, although I think that (7) to NJ idea is dead, for now. As for the (R) to Staten Island, it is a part of New York that doesn't have subway service, but it would be a long, expensive commute that would need serious debate if the idea was ever taken up by the (MTA)

What if the R went via verrazano bridge to staten island and merged with the SIR (thus requiring the SIR to become a subway) would this be possible? Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't merge it with SIR... SIR is spec'd differently from Subway hence the name Railway.. Those R44s they have aren't the same R44s that ran on the A for years... Those are totally different

But back to this mystery tunnel I've heard about... Since they did start a tunnel to Staten Island it would be logical to finish it and just run the R to SI... Eventually I do think someone in power with the right mind will push for this expansion... The 7 to Jersey makes sense or they could just continue it down the west side to lower Manhattan too...

Since they just extended the 7 I don't see them really looking into any further expansions with that line yet...

We'll probably see Metro North to Penn Station before we see the 7 extended again

No, because i'm not coming back from a bar stoned late at night(not directed at you. Directed at the heavy overnight crowd). Honestly, I never knew there was THAT much service overnight. As for the money issue, I don't want to hear it. If they didn't unnecessarily order new cars or do the Hudson Yards project(very few people use 11th Avenue) or SAS, they'd have money. The (MTA) is their own worst enemy in regards to their shortage in finances.

Again, this is not how funding works. Those are massive Capital Program projects often with partial city or federal money which is required to go to a construction project, not rolling stock. In the same way NYCB gets money for specific numbers of buses to order, this is pre-determined construction money. As for SAS, that is an essential project that cannot happen soon enough, and Hudson Yards was funded in decent part by the city explicitly for that purpose--but also, the point is not who uses 11th Ave now, it's who will use it in ten years when there are huge developments there. Finally, what unnecessary new cars?

Also, the Franklin Shuttle is totally tame, not sure what the issue is.

Finally, what unnecessary new cars?

Also, the Franklin Shuttle is totally tame, not sure what the issue is.

The R179's and R188's. Maybe i'm just not happy that the bullets are no longer part of the train in their correct form, but I like the R32, R42, R46, etc. Maybe I don't know finances as well as I should regarding the (MTA) , but I do know those cars can be cleaned, upgraded, etc. I know the newer cars have automatic announcements and better seating, but there's no reason to get rid of all of them. 

As for the Franklin Shuttle, I was on the platform and a guy thought I had an issue with him and carried it much further. When I actually got in the train, a different guy thought I was looking at him(totally f**ked if you know what I mean). His buddy had to step in to calm that down. It's my only ride on there, but it wasn't pleasant and didn't look like the greatest area, anyway.