B/O 7612 Hiring Process

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.d4d31222306cbee543b3fb965499ff7c.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 7612

List Status:  This list has been extended to October 17th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.16 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more up-to-date recent information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

40px_exams_nyct.png

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Mikepro6 said:

How long untill your first raise ? & how much ?

been at my job for almost 8yrs really trying to figure out if I should leave or not , I don’t know if I can get a leave of absence for the 10day training that starts Monday and with not having any experience with busses I don’t know how good my chances are of passing the training 

You get your raise on you appointed date Annually. Top pay is 5 year and subject to change as contract expires. 

I encourage you not to be intimidated with the buses size and etc. 75% of new hires barely operated the bus and ended up making it, and all it takes is to listen and learn. By day 3 or 4, you should be able to handle the bus. I have already 2.6 years on the job, and I operate the bus like if its a sedan. Mind you my favorite buses to operate is the 60-65 Footer Articulated buses. I move that baby all the time in weird situations and tight spots.

**Just want to inform everyone that is attending training to be humble, and don't feel intimidated during training. Expect for the Superintendent Instructor to yell and critique what you are doing. This is part of the training to toughing you up with the mistakes you did, and to make you understand what you will be facing everyday on the road behind the wheel with passengers and vehicles on the road. So be humble and you will earn what you'll looking for.**

1 hour ago, cwing813 said:

I declined the training for Monday, but will they put me back to the pool for the next available training class? the lady told me this will considered i declined this position. do anyone know anything about this?

I don't know scenario when the training was offered to you, but I'm sure you are able to return back but not sure if it will be the next class........

1 hour ago, Moussy said:

Anyone know hows the parki ngf on Zerega?

Just passed medical and heading there on 7am monday

Awesome!  The area is shared with School Bus Companies, Dept of sanitation, and other local business mix with residents. Parking will be hard to find if you don't manage to get there super early. Usually when I have to go to Zerega for a refresher class between the hours of  06:00 , 07:00 or 09:00 hrs I manage to reach there before 5AM just to find a parking and just rest inside my car till its almost time for me to go inside or hangout inside the swing room at Zerega till they make announcement.  Remember don't be late on the first day or you will be sent home.

Edited by Flatbush SBS Duece
spelling

21 minutes ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

You get your raise on you appointed date Annually. Top pay is 5 year and subject to change as contract expires. 

I encourage you not to be intimidated with the buses size and etc. 75% of new hires barely operated the bus and ended up making it, and all it takes is to listen and learn. By day 3 or 4, you should be able to handle the bus. I have already 2.6 years on the job, and I operate the bus like if its a sedan. Mind you my favorite buses to operate is the 60-65 Footer Articulated buses. I move that baby all the time in weird situations and tight spots.

**Just want to inform everyone that is attending training to be humble, and don't feel intimidated during training. Expect for the Superintendent Instructor to yell and critique what you are doing. This is part of the training to toughing you up with the mistakes you did, and to make you understand what you will be facing everyday on the road behind the wheel with passengers and vehicles on the road. So be humble and you will earn what you'll looking for.**

I don't know scenario when the training was offered to you, but I'm sure you are able to return back but not sure if it will be the next class........

Awesome!  The area is shared with School Bus Companies, Dept of sanitation, and other local business mix with residents. Parking will be hard to find if you don't manage to get there super early. Usually when I have to go to Zerega for a refresher class between the hours of  06:00 , 07:00 or 09:00 hrs I manage to reach there before 5AM just to find a parking and just rest inside my car till its almost time for me to go inside or hangout inside the swing room at Zerega till they make announcement.  Remember don't be late on the first day or you will be sent home.

Thanks for the info man, it helps alot

5 hours ago, cwing813 said:

I declined the training for Monday, but will they put me back to the pool for the next available training class? the lady told me this will considered i declined this position. do anyone know anything about this?

I do, since I initially had to decline when I initially received the invitation for Bus Operator 4600 due to their 5-year rule.

As far as them putting you back in the pool for the next available training class, I highly doubt it since it sounds like there will not be an April 29th or May 13th class. Therefore, since you declined once, if you still want to be considered you have to restore your name to the list. You can do this for a maximum of three times, so just be careful to make sure you do not waste your chances. To restore your name to the list, click here and read posts 6469 to 6472. If you have the time, you can go downtown to restore your name, however, just like with @msmcmillan, I also emailed them for B/O 4600 and other lists besides those for NYC Transit, and that was equally as effective.

Edited by +Young+

47 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

I do, since I initially had to decline when I initially received the invitation for Bus Operator 4600 due to their 5-year rule.

As far as them putting you back in the pool for the next available training class, I highly doubt it since it sounds like there will not be an April 29th or May 13th class. Therefore, since you declined once, if you still want to be considered you have to restore your name to the list. You can do this for a maximum of three times, so just be careful to make sure you do not waste your chances. To restore your name to the list, click here and read posts 6469 to 6472. If you have the time, you can go downtown to restore your name, however, just like with @msmcmillan, I also emailed them for B/O 4600 and other lists besides those for NYC Transit, and that was equally as effective.

that lady said there won't be anymore class after next Monday, i will call to HR to find out on Monday.

I m very new for this Forum. I received an E mail today for pre employment on 18th of April. unfortunately i am in vacation with my family in an other country. 

Can i postpone my pre employment date after 3 weeks? Or should I cancel my trip and return to home with family?

After I read this post, I understand that,  After I finish the pre employment ( if i m eligible)  I have to wait for the medical and drug test? then wait for training classes? can anyone explain the hiring process?

49 minutes ago, Shon said:

I m very new for this Forum. I received an E mail today for pre employment on 18th of April. unfortunately i am in vacation with my family in an other country. 

Can i postpone my pre employment date after 3 weeks? Or should I cancel my trip and return to home with family?

After I read this post, I understand that,  After I finish the pre employment ( if i m eligible)  I have to wait for the medical and drug test? then wait for training classes? can anyone explain the hiring process?

The pre-employment is the drug test. Then they can call you anywhere from 3-90 days from then for medical. After you pass medical they assign you to the 7-10 day training. After you pass that you get assigned to a depot for line training. 

54 minutes ago, Shon said:

You can enjoy the trip with your family. You will have to call the HR number and state your situation being away. They will probably remove your name off the list and you will have to reinstate your name when you're  ready. Expect delays reinstating your name onto the list.

11 hours ago, Deirdre0407 said:

7am

Ok... Just try to be there early so you can find parking and make sure your dressed properly with a tie on. Monday will be easy day just filling out paper work with the entire class together. The paper work will be with a 19a Superintendent going over paper work and Etc. Later on the day you will be giving your Employee pass "Enjoy taking the buses or train unlimited" and you will be assign to a depot where you will have to report for training for the first 7 days.  

**Remember don't be intimidated with the bus size or with the Superintendent yelling or critiquing what you did wrong. They have to be tough to toughen you up.**

Edited by +Young+
Emphasize last sentence...

1 hour ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Ok... Just try to be there early so you can find parking and make sure your dressed properly with a tie on. Monday will be easy day just filling out paper work with the entire class together. The paper work will be with a 19a Superintendent going over paper work and Etc. Later on the day you will be giving your Employee pass "Enjoy taking the buses or train unlimited" and you will be assign to a depot where you will have to report for training for the first 7 days.  

**Remember don't be intimidated with the bus size or with the Superintendent yelling or critiquing what you did wrong. They have to be tough  to toughen you up.

Thank You. I really appreciate the information 😊

What to expect -->  ((Dept of Buses training demo))  <--  Each training bus will have a total of 4 students  and a Superintendent instructor that will be teaching you the first 5 days. 

Day 6 is pre qualification day

Day 7 is Qualification day

Day 6 and 7 you will have to demonstrate your skills operating the bus safely and executing all turns properly and etc.

Making left, right, Acute, pivoted, S Hooks turns, Servicing a few bus stops, Controlling the bus, FORWARD planning, Scanning mirrors, Calling out Bicyclists, 4ft spacing on necessary streets, and ETC... The Superintendent wants to feel like you are an Bus Operator and ready...

Fail to demonstrate the skills they are looking for will send you to continue to Day 8 and Day 9 with another Instructor at another depot

If you did good on both day 6 and 7..... Congratulations and you have the position and will move forward learning other buses type with other students who qualified

Day 8 is instructions day and learning for students who did not qualified on day 6 - 7

Day 9 is qualification day "Demonstrate  your skills"

If you successfully passed Day 9, you will join the other students who qualified and learn other buses. If you did not qualified on day 9, You will have one more chance to make it on Day 10.

If you Qualified on either of Day 7, 9 or 10 the test is over and you officially have the position and will be considered a Probationary Operator for 1 year in order to obtain the position.

7 hours ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

What to expect -->  ((Dept of Buses training demo))  <--  Each training bus will have a total of 4 students  and a Superintendent instructor that will be...

Just my two cents:

In order to qualify on Day 7, you have to do everything 100% perfect, between pre-trip, parallel parking, straight backing, bus stops, etc. However, Days 8 thru 10 focus on straight driving - no pre-trip, no backing up, no parallel parking. Day 9 will also feature the "stop, pop and go" if you happen to stop on the hill on Lexington Avenue. Unless they changed it, here is some advice for Day 6, here is the route for Day 9 and for Day 10 (if you go there), you will be in the Bronx and on the highway. As a tip, for those that have to go to Day 9: Look up the route on Google and familiarize yourself with the turns, which should help. Before I took one of my CDL road tests in Maspeth, Queens, I went around the route at least 10 times with my car, which definitely helped me pass.

2 hours ago, Mikepro6 said:

I got put on medical hold and they’re unfortunately closed weekends , so I won’t be in Monday’s training class , couldn’t get any information out of them on when the next class will be , does anybody here have an idea ?

According to this, they will be calling again in July through September.

4 hours ago, Moussy said:

I have a question, I dont really understand what is EL pillars. Can anyone please help out. Much appreciated!

According to the handouts posted in another thread, the EL pillar exercise is very similar if not the same to one I did when I trained as a school bus driver for my current employer. 

It involves you having to navigate a set of 3 or more obstacles that are lined up straight. You go through them in an S- pattern.  It's made to make you aware of your vehicle's pivot point/and using your mirrors correctly to navigate the objects. 

1 hour ago, SoSpectacular said:

According to the handouts posted in another thread, the EL pillar exercise is very similar if not the same to one I did when I trained as a school bus driver for my current employer. 

It involves you having to navigate a set of 3 or more obstacles that are lined up straight. You go through them in an S- pattern.  It's made to make you aware of your vehicle's pivot point/and using your mirrors correctly to navigate the objects. 

Thank you so much for the nice and clear answer!

23 hours ago, +Young+ said:

Just my two cents:

In order to qualify on Day 7, you have to do everything 100% perfect, between pre-trip, parallel parking, straight backing, bus stops, etc. However, Days 8 thru 10 focus on straight driving - no pre-trip, no backing up, no parallel parking. Day 9 will also feature the "stop, pop and go" if you happen to stop on the hill on Lexington Avenue. Unless they changed it, here is some advice for Day 6, here is the route for Day 9 and for Day 10 (if you go there), you will be in the Bronx and on the highway. As a tip, for those that have to go to Day 9: Look up the route on Google and familiarize yourself with the turns, which should help. Before I took one of my CDL road tests in Maspeth, Queens, I went around the route at least 10 times with my car, which definitely helped me pass.

According to this, they will be calling again in July through September.

For the Pre-Trip portion it all depends on the Supt. Some don't test you on the pre-trip part to determined whether or not they should qualify you but you will still have to do them on day 7. I know students who  only has the CDL B P Permit will have to really keep practicing and they'll make sure they get more pre-trip practice time compared to the student that actually has their CDL Class B P.

My 7 Day Instructor wasn't really pushing on the Pre-trip.  Another student in my class had a Supt who wanted everything perfect, So I'm guessing every Supt has their ways making a judgement decision.

Edited by Flatbush SBS Duece
typo

On 4/14/2019 at 1:24 PM, +Young+ said:

Click here, fourth image from the bottom.

On 4/14/2019 at 6:29 PM, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

For the Pre-Trip portion it all depends on the Supt. Some don't test you on the pre-trip part to determined whether or not they should qualify you but you will still have to do them on day 7. I know students who  only has the CDL B P Permit will have to really keep practicing and they'll make sure they get more pre-trip practice time compared to the student that actually has their CDL Class B P.

My 7 Day Instructor wasn't really pushing on the Pre-trip.  Another student in my class had a Supt who wanted everything perfect, So I'm guessing every Supt has their ways making a judgement decision.

Besides proper ID, what else to we have to bring to the medical appointment???

3 hours ago, New2this said:

Besides proper ID, what else to we have to bring to the medical appointment???

You need everything you had from the pre-employment PLUS your CDL B permit with Passenger endorsement ("P") and air brakes which removes the ("L") restriction. You didn't need the permit at pre-employment but you will need it for the medical and final processing because both happen on the same day should you clear the doctors.

I encourage you not to be intimidated with the buses size and etc. 75% of new hires barely operated the bus and ended up making it, and all it takes is to listen and learn. By day 3 or 4, you should be able to handle the bus.

Shoot. My first time behind the wheel of that bus was a little unnerving. I would hope I get settled in enough by that day.

Edited by SoSpectacular
Sidenote

3 minutes ago, SoSpectacular said:

You need everything you had from the pre-employment PLUS your CDL B permit with Passenger endorsement ("P") and air brakes which removes the ("L") restriction. You didn't need the permit at pre-employment but you will need it for the medical and final processing because both happen on the same day should you clear the doctors.

Shoot. My first time behind the wheel of that bus was a little unnerving. I would hope I get settled in enough by that day.

I was called today to go in tomorrow for medical. They said to bring a "postal money order". Would the MTA accept any else for payment for the fingerprint???? Credit card or just a regular money order???

3 minutes ago, New2this said:

I was called today to go in tomorrow for medical. They said to bring a "postal money order". Would the MTA accept any else for payment for the fingerprint???? Credit card or just a regular money order???

You can use a Western Union money order, they don't take any other form of payment as far as I know. They don't ask for that until you get to the actual fingerprinting part.