Frequency on Q to increase (SAS)

Union Tpke

It would be a waste to extend them via the Brighton Line. Even if there were enough cars, they would be better used for a slight increase in M service to 12 TPH, an increase of F service from 14 TPH to 15 TPH, an extension of the C to Ozone Park, an increase in (Q) service, or an extension of the (W) to Bay Parkway during rush hours.

if only the allotment of rail cars actually worked like that...

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, yes. That is implied without being stated.

Although, the (J) and (Z) run 12 trains per hour in the rush hour. That is honestly too much service to extend down the Brighton Line; extending only half of the service (6 trains per hour) would be more appropriate. However, I'm not sure of how this would relate to the (J) and (Z) since extending one but not the other could be difficult.

I like that, but in the case of the (J), you have to remember you have only eight car trains and that actually means (in the peak direction towards Jamaica Center) the (J) and (Z) actually operating.

You're forgetting a small detail: Z trains are put ins from eny. For example, in the pm, Z trains start at Bway Jct, run local to broad. Then come back up as the skip stop (as a J or Z). And each peak there's only 6 Z trains.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

This is a weird quote from the Daily News article.

I am curious to see how R trains are supposed to be sent up Second Avenue.

What in God's name do they mean by that?!

Probably the same way they send N trains up second ave. Extras and put ins/layups. What's so weird about that?

Probably the same way they send N trains up second ave. Extras and put ins/layups. What's so weird about that?

The thing is that the (N) trips are to be expected because they were just the previous 57 Street bound trippers extended. In the (R) schedule, everything goes to Forest Hills.

If they do end up running additional (R) trains from Bay Ridge to 96 Street and back, well that's extra trains to Bay Ridge, so that's good for me.

They probably mean the (N) trains they already send up 2nd Ave (signed up as (Q) trains northbound). I guess the "Sea Beach Q's" aren't sufficient extra service if they're planning to add another trip during both am and pm rush. If that's still not enough and they decide to send any (R) trains up 2nd, it's possible they might also be signed up as Q's northbound, which is easy to do with R160s. Maybe not so easy with R46's.

The only issue I have with sending one or some R's up 2nd Ave is the impact it may have on Queens Blvd local service. Because Queens Blvd has its own service issues that need to be dealt with.

They probably mean the (N) trains they already send up 2nd Ave (signed up as (Q) trains northbound). I guess the "Sea Beach Q's" aren't sufficient extra service if they're planning to add another trip during both am and pm rush. If that's still not enough and they decide to send any (R) trains up 2nd, it's possible they might also be signed up as Q's northbound, which is easy to do with R160s. Maybe not so easy with R46's.

The only issue I have with sending one or some R's up 2nd Ave is the impact it may have on Queens Blvd local service. Because Queens Blvd has its own service issues that need to be dealt with.

I agree with that. If some R's went up 2nd Ave, Part time (G) service to Forest Hills could be made to provide for the R's going to 96 street but i'm not really sure if thats the best possible way.

Edit: Instead of extending (G) to Forest Hills part time (V) service might help but i don't really know about the Queens Blvd area well.

Is $1200 an hour operating cost standard? I know trains cost a lot of money to run but this seems absurd.

Considering that newer trains convert brake heat into electricity that goes back into the grid, I think that number isn't as bad as it sounds. Because if that's a number with the savings included, I can imagine the older models cost more.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

Considering that newer trains convert brake heat into electricity that goes back into the grid, I think that number isn't as bad as it sounds. Because if that's a number with the savings included, I can imagine the older models cost more.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

I thought the MTA opted against regenerative breaking?

Y'all know that UES residents tend to be wealthier than those of Queens, right? Also, due to 2010-2016 intracolor merging in Manhattan and a limited-capacity terminus in Queens, adding more (Q) trains wasn't possible before.

Y'all know that UES residents tend to be wealthier than those of Queens, right? Also, due to 2010-2016 intracolor merging in Manhattan and a limited-capacity terminus in Queens, adding more (Q) trains wasn't possible before.

I'd beg to differ.  Not all of the UES is wealthy.  There are housing projects on the UES, so I'm not sure what your point is? Someone living in a mulit-million dollar home in Forest Hills Gardens, Neponsit, Douglaston or Little Neck can be wealthier than plenty of UES residents.

I'd beg to differ.  Not all of the UES is wealthy.  There are housing projects on the UES, so I'm not sure what your point is? Someone living in a mulit-million dollar home in Forest Hills Gardens, Neponsit, Douglaston or Little Neck can be wealthier than plenty of UES residents.

Right.  Most of the housing projects are on 1st Avenue from 92nd Street and really north of 96th as well as other areas north of 96th.  

Right.  Most of the housing projects are on 1st Avenue from 92nd Street and really north of 96th as well as other areas north of 96th.  

Either way, I don't see what that has to do with what sort of subway service a neighborhood gets, since the subway is for the masses.  We all know that plenty of people of different means use it in comparison to say the local bus.

Could they add more (R) train on top of what they have now? It could start at 9 Avand provide additional service on 4th Av Local, Downtown Manhattan and Broadway Local, up to 96 St. I choose 9 AV because I am unsure if Bay Ridge could handle additional trains.

Could they add more (R) train on top of what they have now? It could start at 9 Avand provide additional service on 4th Av Local, Downtown Manhattan and Broadway Local, up to 96 St. I choose 9 AV because I am unsure if Bay Ridge could handle additional trains.

Bay Ridge has poor terminal capacity, so 9 Av would be a good place to turn them.  However, I'm not too sure that could work with the switches the (R) would have to make, and if there are enough cars to do this in the first place.

That being said, there is the possibility of some (R) trains running regularly to 96 St ...

I could be wrong about this, but with the (N), (R), and (W) already running on the same track from 42nd to 57th, I bet the capacity there couldn't increase much more. And you'd have a situation with the (N) switching between 34 and 42 and the (R) switching the other way after 57 that'd definitely lead to a bottleneck

What in God's name do they mean by that?!

Easy buddy, I am just as shocked as you are.

And I agree with whoever said extend the (J) down into Brooklyn. The (J) should be extended down to Bay Parkway just like the (M) did prior to the 2010 cuts.

Its hard to add service considering the  (R) share trackage with 2 lines  (M) in queens  (W) in manhattan...Me personally ill send current  (W) service to either 9av or 95st bay ridge  to help out the bklyn portion of the  (R)...

All of this hubbub over two additional trains per day on a line that most definitely has a bit of spare capacity lol.

It isn't about these two additional trains per day.  It's about the overall picture that's being painted and I have a problem with it.  The kind of attention that (Q) line is getting the entire system needs.  That's the point.  The (Q) has nice new stations on 2nd Avenue, nice new trains, and a concerted effort by the NYPD to keep vagabonds OUT of the stations.  They aren't doing that elsewhere and that's the problem.  The whole thing reeks of "let's serve these people with money on the Upper East Side". Meanwhile, the vagabonds are taking over the stations elsewhere, and you don't see the cops being nearly as determined to keep them out.  Prior to the (Q) running to 96th street, every time I would use it on weekends, I would find several cars with vagabonds in them.  Now that's been cleaned up. I wonder why...  <_<

A band of city buskers sang a sad song Thursday, claiming overzealous cops are unfairly harassing them on the Second Ave. subway line.

The musicians and artists said they were forced to speak out after enduring a rash of recent police confrontations inside the gleaming new stations on the Upper East Side.

“This is particularly ironic given that the MTA has highlighted the stations for promoting public art,” grumbled Matthew Christian, co-founder of Busk NY, a group representing subway performers.

Musicians are allowed to perform underground as long as they follow certain rules such as avoiding busy areas and not using amplifiers.

But mandolin player Marc Orleans said he was doing none of those things Wednesday when a cop ordered him to leave a subway platform at the 72nd Ave. station and move to the mezzanine level.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/buskers-accuse-cops-harassment-ave-subway-line-article-1.2950840

They're keeping the 'undesirables' out of the new stations to avoid bad press, and yet keeping them out attracts a different kind of bad press. It's a paradox that the (MTA) cannot win. The aristocracy wouldn't ride with the commoners anyway.

They're keeping the 'undesirables' out of the new stations to avoid bad press, and yet keeping them out attracts a different kind of bad press. It's a paradox that the (MTA) cannot win. The aristocracy wouldn't ride with the commoners anyway.

Well you can't win when you have commuters being attacked by homeless people like that lady that was sliced in the face the other day on the train.  It's a disgrace that they have the manpower to patrol those Upper East Side stations on the Second Avenue line to keep them pristine, but meanwhile even in Midtown you can see homeless people with all of their personal belongings just spread out throughout various subway stations, along with the deranged ones, and not a cop in sight.  Goes back to what I said earlier. No conspiracy at all. Just a situation where a select group of people are getting special treatment, and it's blatantly obvious for anyone that uses the line with any regularity, especially on weekends.

Archived