Constant confusion between (R) and (W) trains at 59 St (BKYN)

Lawrence St

For the last 9 times I have caught one of the (W) to 86th Street trips, people have been confused out of their minds.

Just yesterday, the conductor on an 86 St Bound (W) at 59 St failed to announce that the train was operating to GRAVESEND-86 St, not 86 St on 4th Avenue. The signs did not help either as they all just said "86 ST" and 95% of people don't know what "VIA SEA BEACH." means.

Anyway, all the people got on that (W) thinking it was an (R) , only to go into a panic because the train wasn't going to the 86th Street they wanted to go to. This resulted in people hoarding the conductor at 8th Avenue, demanding how to get to 86th Street. People didn't know what the difference between 86th St-4th Ave and 86th St-Gravesend were.

This is not the only time this has happened, it's been happening more and will continue to increase since it's now the summer season and tourists are coming, so how do we fix this problem?

For the last 9 times I have caught one of the (W) to 86th Street trips, people have been confused out of their minds.

Just yesterday, the conductor on an 86 St Bound (W) at 59 St failed to announce that the train was operating to GRAVESEND-86 St, not 86 St on 4th Avenue. The signs did not help either as they all just said "86 ST" and 95% of people don't know what "VIA SEA BEACH." means.

Anyway, all the people got on that (W) thinking it was an (R) , only to go into a panic because the train wasn't going to the 86th Street they wanted to go to. This resulted in people hoarding the conductor at 8th Avenue, demanding how to get to 86th Street. People didn't know what the difference between 86th St-4th Ave and 86th St-Gravesend were.

This is not the only time this has happened, it's been happening more and will continue to increase since it's now the summer season and tourists are coming, so how do we fix this problem?

Here's an idea: don't fix what's not broken. The (W) program was perfectly fine when it said "GRAVESEND-86 ST" and announced it as such. Then they had the brilliant idea to change the announcements to just "86 Street-bound" and then the sign to "86 ST"

Why have them terminate in Gravesend anyway? There's like 5 (N) trains at times for every (R) train. Bay Ridge would be better off with the service.

Since all those trains are going back to Coney Island Yard MTA figured there was no point in running them back to Brooklyn empty.

Here's an idea: don't fix what's not broken. The (W) program was perfectly fine when it said "GRAVESEND-86 ST" and announced it as such. Then they had the brilliant idea to change the announcements to just "86 Street-bound" and then the sign to "86 ST"

Exactly! At least have Charlie Pellet record an announcement that says "Ladies and Gentlemen, this train is operating to Gravesend-86 St on the (N) line via Sea Beach. This train does not stop at the 86 Station on the (R). For service to 77th Street, 86th Street, and Bay Ridge-95 St, get off this train and wait for the next available (R) train."

Exactly! At least have Charlie Pellet record an announcement that says "Ladies and Gentlemen, this train is operating to Gravesend-86 St on the (N) line via Sea Beach. This train does not stop at the 86 Station on the (R). For service to 77th Street, 86th Street, and Bay Ridge-95 St, get off this train and wait for the next available (R) train."

IMO this is overkill. Having "This is Gravesend-86 St bound (W) local train, via the (N) line." since 36st is sufficient.

With an announcement like that, people who want the (R) will hear only the (R) and ignore everything else.

Maybe the (W) trains to the yard should be signed as (N) instead.

That would create more confusion since the (N) doesn't usually run via Whitehall.

Then maybe the " (W) to 86th" sign code should be scrapped.

The train can say " (W) to Whitehall" from Ditmars to Whitehall (in other words, be signed as a normal (W) train), then change to " (N) to 86th" for the rest of the trip. This way, passengers north of Canal Street wouldn't be confused, while passengers in Brooklyn would figure that it's just a rerouted (N) (which probably happens from time to time).

Or maybe just run them as (N) trains the whole way.

...or if you're not really sure, don't get on the train

Foreign concept, fam.....

People want to get on what's moving; even if it's a service they're unsure of just where the hell it's going.... Must be a NYC thing.... It's yet another reason I don't take the subway near as much as I used to... I've gotten pretty sick & tired of being asked for directions, I give them the directions and modes to take, and then wanna cop attitudes when the answer I give isn't what they want to hear....

Or, starting at 36th Street, they can change the announcements to say "This is a Gravesend-86th Street bound, (W) train, via the (N) line."

Don't they do similar announcements when a NTT is rerouted? IIRC, they do that exact thing when (5) runs on Broadway.

Don't they do similar announcements when a NTT is rerouted? IIRC, they do that exact thing when (5) runs on Broadway.

All the rush hour programs on any NTT (i.e (2) to Crown Heights, (W) to 86) don't say "via _____". They really should tho.

All the rush hour programs on any NTT (i.e (2) to Crown Heights, (W) to 86) don't say "via _____". They really should tho.

I distinctly remember being at 149th St and another time at 14th St/7th Av hearing the automated announcement saying "This is a (5) train to Flatbush on the 7th Av Express".

Once again, another genius with no knowledge of the history of the BMT Lines came up with something that proves to me why this genius should thank his/her lucky stars that they have a job. When our great BMT leaders wanted to make sure that there would be no confusion between 86th Street Bay Ridge and 86th Street Gravesend, they did not place either 86th Street signs on the roller and instead used "Kings Highway" and "95th Street" and thus everyone knew where the train was going.. This worked for about 90 years and there was never any problem with anyone being  confused about where the train was going and on what line whether the sign said Sea Beach Exp, Broadway Express, N, R,,Broadway Local, Fourth Avenue Local  or anything else.For the record, the only time that the Fourth Avenue Local terminated at 86th Street for an extended period of time was from 1916 to 1925 when the 95th Street Station was completed.

We used to have a saying in government "Keep it simple, stupid" but that seems to have been changed to "Keep it Complicated,Krazy" which I think has become the norm today.  My opinion is just have the train crew change the signs at City Hall to N to Gravesend 86th Street" or better yet go back to "N to Kings Highway" which everyone will understand.

Once again, another genius with no knowledge of the history of the BMT Lines came up with something that proves to me why this genius should thank his/her lucky stars that they have a job. When our great BMT leaders wanted to make sure that there would be no confusion between 86th Street Bay Ridge and 86th Street Gravesend, they did not place either 86th Street signs on the roller and instead used "Kings Highway" and "95th Street" and thus everyone knew where the train was going.. This worked for about 90 years and there was never any problem with anyone being  confused about where the train was going and on what line whether the sign said Sea Beach Exp, Broadway Express, N, R,,Broadway Local, Fourth Avenue Local  or anything else.For the record, the only time that the Fourth Avenue Local terminated at 86th Street for an extended period of time was from 1916 to 1925 when the 95th Street Station was completed.

We used to have a saying in government "Keep it simple, stupid" but that seems to have been changed to "Keep it Complicated,Krazy" which I think has become the norm today.  My opinion is just have the train crew change the signs at City Hall to N to Gravesend 86th Street" or better yet go back to "N to Kings Highway" which everyone will understand.

Train crews are usually forbidden from changing letters mid-route.

Archived