New Express Bus - Ulmer Park Depot?

Via Garibaldi 8

11 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I just saw a video of an express bus with the NYC scheme.  Ugly IMO. It has another exit door as well...

.... That other door is for wheelchair accessiblity.

(NYCT) missed a perfect opportunity to get a new express bus scheme. We’ll see what happens down the line. 

Just now, Future ENY OP said:

.... That other door is for wheelchair accessiblity.

(NYCT) missed a perfect opportunity to get a new express bus scheme. We’ll see what happens down the line. 

Only for that and not for others to get off? This ugly bus would've come in handy a few weeks ago. We get along Henry Hudson Parkway and the front door wouldn't open.  He goes to the next stop. Same thing.  We spent almost 20 minutes stuck on that bus. We had to exit through the wheelchair exit. One passenger got so cranky that she called the Fire Department while we waited. lol

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Only for that and not for others to get off? This ugly bus would've come in handy a few weeks ago. We get along Henry Hudson Parkway and the front door wouldn't open.  He goes to the next stop. Same thing.  We spent almost 20 minutes stuck on that bus. We had to exit through the wheelchair exit. One passenger got so cranky that she called the Fire Department while we waited. lol

For right now... Yep! 

I’ll say this. Either this or prevost and we all know the consensus on that is. We won’t be getting anymore D4500CT’s. Although from what I saw with (NJT) D4500CT’s 2018/2019 we’re operating in great condition. 

I do want to ride the new bus and base my opinions later. 

5 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

For right now... Yep! 

I’ll say this. Either this or prevost and we all know the consensus on that is. We won’t be getting anymore D4500CT’s. Although from what I saw with (NJT) D4500CT’s 2018/2019 we’re operating in great condition. 

Two steps backwards with that hideous signage and why is the bumper so big? 

The scheme is likely kitbashed, that's why it looks terrible.

The bus itself looks fine. The rear door can also be used(and has been used) for regular passenger exit as well.

41720025032_880f357d53_b.jpg

6 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

For right now... Yep! 

I wouldn't say all that now...anything can happen. No one knew that we were going to test a double decker bus.....

1 minute ago, Cait Sith said:

The bus itself looks fine. The rear door can also be used(and has been used) for regular passenger exit as well.

I wouldn't say all that now...

Is it bigger than the regular express buses? I can't tell but it looks bigger. Could just be the design though.

7 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

I wouldn't say all that now...anything can happen. No one knew that we were going to test a double decker bus.....

You have a point there. 

Yes, bus is excellent. However, the scheme is so-so to me  

Didnt know it can be used for regular side door. Only thought it was for ADA Accessibility. Thanks for correction. 

29 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

What really stands is the front. Especially given the expansion of yellow almost everywhere on the R211s, the color just sticks out so much. The poles are fine, but the brightness hurts my eyes on the exterior.

Maybe the pictures does it no justice, but as a colleague would say... "Holy schnike's", that's an immense waste of interior space.....

Only way I'd run those bad boys in service is if I knew first-hand/can guarantee that there's going to be a wheelchair passenger on whichever particular trips (which is of course, is idealistic thinking).... Cool concept though, I will admit.

26 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Why cant they get rid of the dumb storage areas under the bus and make the whole thing low floor? I understand Greyhound needs the storage areas, but not MTA, NJT, etc

The fuel tanks and other equipment are also below the high floor...

8 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

The fuel tanks and other equipment are also below the high floor...

I'm sure there is a workaround if they knew there would be a big enough market to make it worth the cost. That Millenium express bus was supposed to fill that market but that seemed to fizzle out. 

18 minutes ago, RailBus63 said:

I don't know ... the idea of segregating wheelchair-bound patrons to a separate lower level of the bus just doesn't seem right, even if the ramp is an improvement over the current lifts.  

I have to agree.  I'm assuming they're keeping to wheelchair areas as they currently have.  I also wonder if there will be fewer seats with this arrangement.  

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I have to agree.  I'm assuming they're keeping to wheelchair areas as they currently have.  I also wonder if there will be fewer seats with this arrangement.  

IIRC, the MCI rep said they lost 4 seats with that configuration (the single seats), since there's four seats on the lower level when there isn't a wheelchair.

Archived