MaBSTOA B/O Exam #9100

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the immediate future, click here for the pre-employment packet (if you need it). The CPD-B booklet is not necessary since this is not a civil service position.

For those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com, which is free! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

If you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

Good luck!

2 hours ago, emmanuelv8 said:

When did you take your drug test?

I took the drug test last Monday 8/3/2020

2 hours ago, luiggi0102 said:

Congrats ! I got my pants from old navy and black Under Armour boots from dicks sporting goods , they’re “tactical boots” . Those are similar to the ones that mta will give you later. 

Thanks! I’ll check out old navy, I looked at dickies on amazon but they won’t get here till Monday so I’m going to have to go in store! Thanks for the tip! 

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@emmanuelv8 thank you. I’m just leaving now and passed my medical. I got there at 6:30 but they didn’t let me up until 7. The medical process took about 4 hours for everything. But had to wait until 12:30 in order to take the pic for my pass which we will receive the first day at zerega. Good luck to us all, you will get that email when you least expect it. 

@bkborn when you receive the medical email they will tell you to bring your social security card, money order for $88.25 for finger prints and Cdl or permit and license and birth certificate. They do a urine test, eye, hearing, bp, and ekg. They also give you a few books showing Mta policy, benefits, what to wear to zerega and an orientation book that you have to bring to zerega. The lady that gave my medical I think she name was Tasha, very nice. 

7 hours ago, Natalie said:

They do a urine test, eye, hearing, bp, and ekg. They also give you a few books ... and an orientation book that you have to bring to zerega.

Although they are a little outdated, if you look at this post and this post, while in medical, do they still make you change into a gown to not only physically examine you, but to also do different movements including "squats" as well?

As far as the 'orientation book' that you have to bring to Zerega, is it titled "Student Bus Operator Instruction Manual" or is it similar to this book? If so, I'm glad they're giving them out at Livingston Street and giving the candidates time to read it, compared to giving them out at Zerega on Day Zero.

@+Young+ once I was in the room with the actual doctor. I did not have to change into a gown, she asked me a few questions like if I drink, smoke, and a bunch of other questions. Then she told me to stand up and try and touch my feet without bending my knees, walk on my tip toes, walk on my heels and then stop and turn my neck around to face her. After that she measured my neck to test for sleep apnea. But while doing all of this I did not change into a gown. And no unfortunately I do not have that book that you posted. The name of the book that we have to bring to orientation is “New York city transit benefits orientation package”. 

Edited by +Young+
Correction

Oh and one more thing. The vision test was kind of challenging for me and I thought I have perfect vision, no glasses or anything. They have You to look through this instrument and it has multiple lines and they ask you which line can you read and I said line 6. And then she said “oh you said 5 right”? And I said oh yes I meant 5.” And I tried my hardest to see line 5 and called each circle out to her. After that she told me the reason she said line 5 is because line 5 is passing. Each line had small circles and some of them are full circles, some are slightly open to the right, left, up, or down. You will have to be able to call them out to her. But remember she told me line 5 is passing. I know it’s a lot to type but I hope I explained it well. 

I know it'll be a while before I'm called, but I had a few general questions about being a B/O for MaBSTOA:

1. I know you have a 10 day training course, but is it true you can complete it in 7 days?

2. Do you get to choose what depot you want to be assigned to, or does it depend on where you live?

3. Is it possible to switch between MaBSTOA and NYCT if you want to work in SI?

4. I've been told that when you start, you are put on the extra list at your assigned depot and assignments can vary as to when you work and when you finish working. Is this true?

Thanks

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I know it'll be a while before I'm called, but I had a few general questions about being a B/O for MaBSTOA ... Thanks

Question #1: You can complete the training course in seven days, however the majority of the people complete the course in nine days. As a 'preview' of what you folks are about to go through, I would encourage you to click here, here and here.

Question #2: Once you pass the 10-Day training session, on Day 12, you will be able to pick your depots providing there is a vacancy. It does NOT depend on where you live. However, just like in the other MTA Departments and in other companies, once you have more seniority, then you'll be able to pick a depot which will be easier to commute to, depending on the situation.

Question #3: It is possible to switch between MaBSTOA and NYCT if you want to work in either Staten Island or Queens, providing you took the TA Bus Operator Exam, such as Exam 4600, 7612, 9604 or 9618. When they reach your list number on these civil service examinations, you will have to go back to 180 Livingston Street to re-do the entire pre-employment process. However, since, by this time, you already passed the 10-Day Bus Operator Training Session, you will need to report to Zerega for a few days, and, if you're lucky, you should be able to stay in the same depot until your "transfer" goes through. See the second link that I posted in Question #1 for more information.

Question #4: There is a good chance that you will be put on the "extra list" until a run opens up. However, depending on the timing and how things work out, if there is a run available, they might give it to you, depending on the circumstances and/or the situation.

Hope this helps.

Edited by +Young+

2 hours ago, Natalie said:

what do you mean stay XL? 

'XL' means 'Extra List.' This will include doing all of the lines in the depot (depending on the day-to-day situation) and possibly some "Subway Shuttles" on the weekends as well.

In addition, @Natalie, you know that there is @dman, who hasn't logged on in over 10 years and @dman1455, right? Even for me, there is a difference between @young, who hasn't logged on in over seven years and @+Young+, in which you need to type '@' followed by '+.' Therefore, going forward, if you can try to be more careful, it would be appreciated.

3 hours ago, dman1455 said:

Just want to chime in on the run part, guys who just graduated we're able to pick steady work due to the numerous amount of runs that are open. I'd advise to stay XL until you know all the lines in your depot though.

If I recall correctly, these folks were from the March 16th class, which was the last class before the pandemic, right? Therefore, the class that is going in tomorrow will be the first class in this "new normal," correct?

Good luck to those reporting to Zerega tomorrow for Day Zero!!

Edited by +Young+