MaBSTOA B/O Exam #9100

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the immediate future, click here for the pre-employment packet (if you need it). The CPD-B booklet is not necessary since this is not a civil service position.

For those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com, which is free! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

If you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

Good luck!

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ramirez1523 said:

To give you guys an update from my class (8/16/20) all passed today on Day 7;  I didn't feel personally like the course was overly hard, just have to watch out for bikes and people!  Mind you for my class Days 2-4 were trainwrecks we all felt like we weren't going to make it, yet all of us pulled through! You just have to listen and apply everything they tell you, We had 2 Permits and 1 License in the class.  Supt even made me take the bus back through the Midtown Tunnel which was nerve wracking but like everything else they teach you, take your time and go slow!!

We have to report for Equipment training tomorrow for the Nova Buses and the New Flyers 

Congratulations. 

2 minutes ago, lornaevo said:

Congratulations. 

Any Idea what line training will be like?  Especially like what the schedule will be like, from what I put together from my Supt is your schedule will be all over the place for a while.  I don't mind I just like knowing in advance 

16 minutes ago, Ramirez1523 said:

Any Idea what line training will be like?  Especially like what the schedule will be like, from what I put together from my Supt is your schedule will be all over the place for a while.  I don't mind I just like knowing in advance 

For line training they pair you up with a seniority driver. Some of them pick 8 hour straight which means you will show up early and work 8 hours and go home. Some of them love long swings, meaning you show up early. Do a couple trips. Go home and then come back pm rush and do a couple more trips. 8 hour straight it nice because you go home early. Long swings are great because that’s how you make money. My first day of line training I did a straight was done by 3pm. The rest of my line training was all long swings. 

2 minutes ago, lornaevo said:

There is very little parking. Well more like no parking at Jamaica Depot areas. Leave early. Take the bus. 

I am going to take the Subway to the Railroad; I figured parking wasn't even worth the hassle , and the walk from LIRR didn't look bad.

3 minutes ago, lornaevo said:

For line training they pair you up with a seniority driver. Some of them pick 8 hour straight which means you will show up early and work 8 hours and go home. Some of them love long swings, meaning you show up early. Do a couple trips. Go home and then come back pm rush and do a couple more trips. 8 hour straight it nice because you go home early. Long swings are great because that’s how you make money. My first day of line training I did a straight was done by 3pm. The rest of my line training was all long swings. 

It is a different driver everyday, right? along with a different route?  Also was there any consistency to your days off or was it different every week?  

Edited by Ramirez1523
Spelling

2 minutes ago, Ramirez1523 said:

I am going to take the Subway to the Railroad; I figured parking wasn't even worth the hassle , and the walk from LIRR didn't look bad.

It is a different driver everyday, right? along with a different route?  Also was there any consistency to your days off or was it different every week?  

During line training, since you’re paired with a senior driver you will most likely have weekends off. I had all my weekends off during training. Different driver daily and different runs. Show up earlier than expected and wait for your trainer. Don’t have them wait for you. And don’t be exact on time. These guys have a daily routine and they’ve been doing the same thing for years.  Some like to leave early and stop at their favorite breakfast spot and so on. I was always 1 hour early and waited for them. If we did stop for breakfast I paid or at least tried to. Most won’t accept. Try to soak in as much info from these guys/gals you can. They have valuable info to impart. 

2 hours ago, Ramirez1523 said:

To give you guys an update from my class (8/16/20) all passed today on Day 7;  I didn't feel personally like the course was overly hard, just have to watch out for bikes and people!  Mind you for my class Days 2-4 were trainwrecks we all felt like we weren't going to make it, yet all of us pulled through! You just have to listen and apply everything they tell you, We had 2 Permits and 1 License in the class.  Supt even made me take the bus back through the Midtown Tunnel which was nerve wracking but like everything else they teach you, take your time and go slow!!

We have to report for Equipment training tomorrow for the Nova Buses and the New Flyers 

Wow ! Midtown tunnel! That’s crazy congratulations , I passed day 7 today . 

My apologies if I'm annoying, however, for those who recently qualified, what are your thoughts about the handouts? Good? Bad?

I know that for some people, such as @Mr NewFlyer, the handouts were his "lifeline." If it weren't for the handouts, I don't think him, and a few other people on this site would have passed the "intense" 10-Day training session.

In addition, for those who have to take the road test, have you looked at this thread? My apologies for not posting any of these "handouts" since I do not have access to them. However, if someone else is willing to share, please do not hesitate to do so.

Good luck!! Stay safe and healthy!!

Edited by +Young+

Anyone who’s due to report on 8/31 get a second email saying the same thing? I am just wondering why it was sent again. Trying to see if anything is different in this one that I didn’t catch???

congrats to those who just passed! Those that started training with only a permit, were you able to get some practice in prior to the MTA training??

31 minutes ago, Natalie said:

@lornaevo my neighbor works at Livingston and she told me a few weeks ago that she was looking for another job because she was getting laid off. She told me not bus operators though. So It sounds like they are just cutting back on clerical. 

The letter specifically mentions BO’s