MaBSTOA B/O Exam #9100

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the immediate future, click here for the pre-employment packet (if you need it). The CPD-B booklet is not necessary since this is not a civil service position.

For those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com, which is free! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

If you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

Good luck!

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, beanz said:

Hey guys..

I'm a train operator but asking for a friend. Is this list you are all on about to expire? They are taking applications for exam number 1100. How soon will he be hired if he takes that exam? I see u are all still in the process and the filing for 1100 isnt up until august 25th. Does anybody even know when the test might be given?

As per the guidelines of the website, can we please make an effort to post in the relevant forum? You are aware that there is a thread/topic for Exam # 1100, which can be viewed here, right? As far as how soon your friend will be hired, it will be a while because after this list, they have Exam # 0100 to go through followed by Exam # 1100.

As far as when Exam # 1100 will be administered, it says on the Notice of Examination that they will start administering the exam in January of 2021. However, depending on what's going on with the Public Schools, since they normally rent out a Public High School on the weekend to administer the examination, I have a "gut" feeling that this might be pushed back until who knows when.

46 minutes ago, bkborn said:

Anyone else Called in for medical? Crickets here, was told they’re still filing for the 30th by hr though.  

All I have to say is this: "I'll believe it when I see it."

52 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

As per the guidelines of the website, can we please make an effort to post in the relevant forum? You are aware that there is a thread/topic for Exam # 1100, which can be viewed here, right? As far as how soon your friend will be hired, it will be a while because after this list, they have Exam # 0100 to go through followed by Exam # 1100.

As far as when Exam # 1100 will be administered, it says on the Notice of Examination that they will start administering the exam in January of 2021. However, depending on what's going on with the Public Schools, since they normally rent out a Public High School on the weekend to administer the examination, I have a "gut" feeling that this might be pushed back until who knows when.

I did see the other thread but there is like 10 replies in there so I figured I would get a reply quicker in here. My bad.

6 hours ago, +Young+ said:

Thats what was told to me on Monday 8/17 but yeah I agree lol.. 🙃

@Markito Kind of disappointing lol. Giving me time to take care of business though, still feels like a cliffhanger. 

Edited by bkborn

12 hours ago, bkborn said:

Anyone else Called in for medical? Crickets here, was told they’re still filing for the 30th by hr though.  

Who were you able to speak to? How and when? Just wondering cause I know that people aren’t very accessible these days. I am list number 11XX yet people are getting opportunities before me. Very frustrating if i will not be in the 8/30 class unless there’s another one right behind it. If we have to wait a long time after that it is not right!

On 8/18/2020 at 9:05 PM, Natalie said:

To those who started the 10 day training class this past Sunday. How is it? How many students are on the bus with the instructor?

There are "4" to a bus

It is stressful just take it slow and do exactly what they ask.  My supt. Is super strict on the social distancing but not all are like that.  YOU HAVE TO read the book they give you, and prepare every night and SHOW UP EARLY.  We just finished day 4 and I feel like its all coming together.  If you can pack breakfast or a snack for the bus and most depots don't have parking so have a plan on how to get there, and get there early to park on the street! Keep in mind the subway still isn't running 24 hours!

I started the 10 days with the 8/16 group.

On 8/19/2020 at 3:12 PM, Moody said:

Did anyone have an expired cdl permit and was permitted to proceed because the dmv extended expiration dates until further notice? Mine expires in mid September. I made an appointment to renew my permit. 

No it will have to be valid, I had my CDL B that was "expired" and they refused to let me start had to wait for the dmv to open to get it renewed

34 minutes ago, Ramirez1523 said:

There are "4" to a bus

It is stressful just take it slow and do exactly what they ask.  My supt. Is super strict on the social distancing but not all are like that.  YOU HAVE TO read the book they give you, and prepare every night and SHOW UP EARLY.  We just finished day 4 and I feel like its all coming together.  If you can pack breakfast or a snack for the bus and most depots don't have parking so have a plan on how to get there, and get there early to park on the street! Keep in mind the subway still isn't running 24 hours!

I started the 10 days with the 8/16 group.

@Ramirez1523 thank you for responding. Do you report to zerega every morning or different depots? 

9 minutes ago, Natalie said:

@Ramirez1523 thank you for responding. Do you report to zerega every morning or different depots? 

They assign you a depot at random and you report there until day 7. If you qualify you go to a different depot for equipment training. If you don’t qualify they send you to a different depot with a different supt for days 8 & 9. And day 10 you to to Zerega to try to qualify again. 

14 hours ago, Natalie said:

@Ramirez1523 @lornaevo what is the first day of zerega like? Do you go out on a bus or is it just paperwork? Also it all day? Good luck to the both of you!

first day is paperwork only and you will be assigned to a depot to do your 10 day training. Im in day 4 now.

so far day 1 & 2 all students drove 40mins to 1hr learning how to turn the bus. 

day 3 we did some highway driving (under heavy rain unfortunately)  , servicing bus stops and wheelchair 

day 4 turning under the train tracks ALOT! parallel parking and backing up the bus. 

your experience will vary depending on your classmates and instructor , luckily for us our instructor is great and has a lot of patience. 

we drive from 6am to 2pm with a 1hr lunch and 15min break around 10am. bring water with you to the bus and something to take notes.

Good luck everyone  

1 hour ago, Natalie said:

@luiggi0102 thanks for all that info!!!!! So it’s Sunday through Thursday with Friday off? You’re off today? Ok last question, is it a lot of highway driving? I wish you the best of luck!!!!

So far each of us have done up and down the van wick exp from the Belt to College Point and the Belt Parkway from JFK to Coney Island.  Focusing on driving in the right lane gauging merging traffic and not leaning to the right.  

Some of us on Day 1 drove on the Highway after practicing turns

Day 2- Focused more and turns and the specific turns we have to make (Highway driving for everyone as well)

Day 3- Bus Stops and Pretrip inspections as well as driving in "busy" Jamaica (around the LIRR Station and 168th and Hillside) practicing pull ups and pull ins up and down the Q6 (NIS obviously) and pivot points on the turns, covering your right and other methods in a busy setting.  We did straight backing and  a Obstructed view (blind spot) exercise.  Luckily it only rained for our pretrip unlike @luiggi0102

Day 4- Going in and out of pillars under the subway, learning your pivot points and how to use your mirrors to your advantage.  More Highway Driving for us and we did offset and parallel parking as well as tight left side turns.  We went over the fare box as well and the wheelchair area.

4 hours ago, luiggi0102 said:

"bring water with you"   

I agree but careful of your intake because of Corona there are a lot less places to go on the road, which we ran into a few times but good advice! :)

2 hours ago, Ramirez1523 said:

So far each of us have done up and down the van wick exp from the Belt to College Point and the Belt Parkway from JFK to Coney Island.  Focusing on driving in the right lane gauging merging traffic and not leaning to the right.  

Some of us on Day 1 drove on the Highway after practicing turns

Day 2- Focused more and turns and the specific turns we have to make (Highway driving for everyone as well)

Day 3- Bus Stops and Pretrip inspections as well as driving in "busy" Jamaica (around the LIRR Station and 168th and Hillside) practicing pull ups and pull ins up and down the Q6 (NIS obviously) and pivot points on the turns, covering your right and other methods in a busy setting.  We did straight backing and  a Obstructed view (blind spot) exercise.  Luckily it only rained for our pretrip unlike @luiggi0102

Day 4- Going in and out of pillars under the subway, learning your pivot points and how to use your mirrors to your advantage.  More Highway Driving for us and we did offset and parallel parking as well as tight left side turns.  We went over the fare box as well and the wheelchair area.

I agree but careful of your intake because of Corona there are a lot less places to go on the road, which we ran into a few times but good advice! :)

I see the training bus around College Point but which depot are you training out of? 

On 8/17/2020 at 5:35 AM, lornaevo said:

Maybe the first couple of weeks were mostly nights. Being on the extra board i would have to pick my work weekly or nightly. So i would ask my Dispatchers for Early Reports (most times they would oblige) so i would start early morning 4,5,6am and clear about 3,4pm. Haven’t been able to get weekends off though. When we did summer picks i was able to pick a run with Mon,Tue,Wed early am and Thu,Fri off and weekends Night work. So at least I get a couple daytime shifts. For the fall pick i was able to pick all day time work. Maybe I got lucky. Maybe it’s my depot. But so far I’ve been okay with the schedule. Nights are very quiet but you do have the occasion idiot driver on the road. 

I just wan to clarify a bit on this. This is how it works at the TA depots in Queens. (Jamaica, Casey Stengel and Queens Village) You won't be able to work as an OA employee at these depots.

When they cut you loose after graduation and place you on the extra list (if you aren't able to pick your own work), then you will be placed at the end of the list, which is mostly midday to PM reports.

Throughout the year, you have depot picks where you choose your work. So if you're looking for AM work, you can pick it if it's open. For example at my depot, you can pick a hawk (overnight work) with 6 months to a year on.

You would have to pick vacation relief if you want to pick your work weekly and that is done in seniority order. (Against everyone else on VR) So again, if you see a run that fits what you want and it's open by time you pick, you can take it.

On 8/19/2020 at 2:23 AM, beanz said:

Hey guys..

I'm a train operator but asking for a friend. Is this list you are all on about to expire? They are taking applications for exam number 1100. How soon will he be hired if he takes that exam? I see u are all still in the process and the filing for 1100 isnt up until august 25th. Does anybody even know when the test might be given?

Tell your friend to put in for 1100. They might call off both lists concurrently since they're looking to fix the staffing shortages everywhere. 

On 8/20/2020 at 6:52 PM, Ramirez1523 said:

Keep in mind the subway still isn't running 24 hours!

The subway is still available to employees overnight. You will need your pass in order to board the train.

1 hour ago, SevenEleven said:

Tell your friend to put in for 1100. They might call off both lists concurrently since they're looking to fix the staffing shortages everywhere. 

Are the staffing shortages that bad?

What are the chances they will speed up the hiring process for exam #1100?

8 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Are the staffing shortages that bad?

What are the chances they will speed up the hiring process for exam #1100?

Yeah. Staten Island is working on an 80ish operator shortage. Idk bout speeding up any faster. They're moving as is to catch up from the COVID hiring freeze.