B/O #9604 Hiring Process (TA)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.ad709944b622affec9979d37954c1e50.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9604

List Status:  This list has been established as of November 27, 2019, with an expiration date, as of now, of November 27th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.19 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Flatbush Operator said:

Starting September, all MTA employees will be required to either be vaccinated or have to take a weekly Covid test. 

Ok, so where do we go for the weekly covid test? 180 livingston street or do we do that on our own time, ( Off the clock) ?

4 hours ago, Flatbush Operator said:

Normally, you can resign and return back within a year and still keep your seniority. Being back at the same depot will be up to management. Now since your friend was still on probation, she will need to contact Zerega for further information. She technically still belong to “Zerega” since she didn't finish probation.

You keep your seniority/depot after the first year. Before that, the most they can do is rehire you. My classmate was a rehire and he had to start from scratch with the 10 day. 

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone can help me with something. My list number is 5xx and back on Jun 8th I received a canvass email asking if I am still interested in the position, my abstract and all that fun stuff. I responded the next day Jun 9th, but have not received anyword since. I'm mostly concerned about it because one I've been told by multiple people that it shouldn't take this long to get a respond and second I have a friend that took 9604 and was placed 13xx and was already called to Livingston. Does anyone have any ideas of what could of happened or maybe have contact information of someone that actually responds? Thank you guys in advance

22 hours ago, Flatbush Operator said:

Nobody knows. It hasn't been effective yet. 

Ok, and lets say you go to get your covid test and you test positive, what happens after that you are on probation? Does your probation get extended because you test positive for Covid, Or No?

2 hours ago, Nrod85 said:

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone can help me with something. My list number is 5xx and back on Jun 8th I received a canvass email asking if I am still interested in the position, my abstract and all that fun stuff. I responded the next day Jun 9th, but have not received any word since. I'm mostly concerned about it because one I've been told by multiple people that it shouldn't take this long to get a respond and second I have a friend that took 9604 and was placed 13xx and was already called to Livingston. Does anyone have any ideas of what could of happened or maybe have contact information of someone that actually responds? Thank you guys in advance

First of all, welcome to the Forums! Glad to have you on board.

Second, have you tried reaching out to the "higher ups," whose contact information can be viewed here?

Finally, if you're still having trouble figuring out what happened, and if you have proof from your friend that he/she was already called to Livingston Street, send me a Private Message (PM) and we'll take it from there. This feature can be found on the top right-hand corner of the webpage.

Good luck!!

6 hours ago, train1290 said:

Ok, and lets say you go to get your covid test and you test positive, what happens after that you are on probation? Does your probation get extended because you test positive for Covid, Or No?

Yes. If you miss days during probation it must be made up on the back end. Except if you use an AVA. But sick time must be made up. 

How is the turnover for this position? 

Around how many years into the job are you able to pick from the more desired runs? By year 3? Year 7? Year 15? 

Any of you current B/Os, are there any other civil service jobs you'd leave TA for? For example Firefighter, Suffolk County police, etc 

40 minutes ago, KDGallagher said:

How is the turnover for this position? 

Around how many years into the job are you able to pick from the more desired runs? By year 3? Year 7? Year 15? 

Any of you current B/Os, are there any other civil service jobs you'd leave TA for? For example Firefighter, Suffolk County police, etc 

Best stable career right now besides Sanitation, FDNY and NYPD. We have some flaws, but hopefully  the union get the right leadership in place to shake up some things.

Picking a desirable run all depends on the depot. Some depots  are considered “High seniority” where you may never see a decent paying run with good rdo’s until you reach 10-15 years. I currently have 5 years on the job, and I can say I’m able to work AM’s instead of PM’s. Right now I can get a SS or SM RDO but I would have to work late PM run in order to get that RDO versus a high seniority operator who can work AM and still get weekends off.

If I had to leave and go someplace else, it would probably be a court officer. But right now I’m already at top pay and have opportunities to move forward up the ladders within the transit system when the time is right.

19 hours ago, Nrod85 said:

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone can help me with something. My list number is 5xx and back on Jun 8th I received a canvass email asking if I am still interested in the position, my abstract and all that fun stuff. I responded the next day Jun 9th, but have not received anyword since. I'm mostly concerned about it because one I've been told by multiple people that it shouldn't take this long to get a respond and second I have a friend that took 9604 and was placed 13xx and was already called to Livingston. Does anyone have any ideas of what could of happened or maybe have contact information of someone that actually responds? Thank you guys in advance

Same here. I’m list #4xx. Got the canvassing email in June and sent everything in and haven’t heard anything since. 

any idea what list # they’re up to?

1 hour ago, Flatbush Operator said:

Best stable career right now besides Sanitation, FDNY and NYPD. We have some flaws, but hopefully  the union get the right leadership in place to shake up some things.

Picking a desirable run all depends on the depot. Some depots  are considered “High seniority” where you may never see a decent paying run with good rdo’s until you reach 10-15 years. I currently have 5 years on the job, and I can say I’m able to work AM’s instead of PM’s. Right now I can get a SS or SM RDO but I would have to work late PM run in order to get that RDO versus a high seniority operator who can work AM and still get weekends off.

If I had to leave and go someplace else, it would probably be a court officer. But right now I’m already at top pay and have opportunities to move forward up the ladders within the transit system when the time is right.

That's good to hear , thanks for ya insight.

Not that it really matters to me, when the time comes I won't be picky, but what are some examples of "high seniority" depots on the TA side? Examples of "low seniority"? I believe I read that Staten Island is where you're able to get better runs earlier in your career. 

Also, lets say I want to move to Rockland County (north of the Bronx) as a TA employee. Is it possible to pick into an OA depot in the Bronx? Would this make it so that I'm stuck there or will I be able to have flexibility?

if anyone on this list or any other list is interested in getting their CDL for free, check out Red Hook on the Road. it's a free CDL program.

I recently called them earlier in the week, they sent an authorization form for them to check out your driving record (no DUIs or tickets I assume), and after approval they'll email you to join a zoom call orientation / info session where they'll tell you more about to program and whatnot. 

It's a 4 week long program, 1 week in class, 3 weeks behind the wheel. I believe you need to be unemployed to quality 

https://bwiny.org/red-hook-on-the-road/overview/

37 minutes ago, KDGallagher said:

That's good to hear , thanks for ya insight.

Not that it really matters to me, when the time comes I won't be picky, but what are some examples of "high seniority" depots on the TA side? Examples of "low seniority"? I believe I read that Staten Island is where you're able to get better runs earlier in your career. 

Also, lets say I want to move to Rockland County (north of the Bronx) as a TA employee. Is it possible to pick into an OA depot in the Bronx? Would this make it so that I'm stuck there or will I be able to have flexibility?

A high seniority depot is presumed when majority percentage of operators has 15+ years. Let's say the depot has 600 operators and out of 600, 350 to 400 has 15 plus years under their belt.

As a TA operator, you are allowed to pick within an OA Depot. OA operators are only allowed to pick within The Bronx, Manhattan and Brooklyn depot. Keep in mind this only happens once a year during the system pick which starts during the fall season “October - December”  

Also, as a TA Operator if you decide to transfer to Queens TA or Staten Island depots, you won’t be able to pick out for the rest of your B/O career unless you get promoted to SLD or Superintendent. 

Edited by Flatbush Operator

5 hours ago, Flatbush Operator said:

Will we have a set schedule in the beginning during Line training, Like for example, monday to friday: 8am-4pm? Arent we off on saturday and sunday during Line Training?

6 minutes ago, train1290 said:

Will we have a set schedule in the beginning during Line training, Like for example, monday to friday: 8am-4pm? Arent we off on saturday and sunday during Line Training?

Your schedule will reflect according to a senior operators  route daily. Normally it's Monday to Friday at different hours, but it's up to the depot's discretion. The first week you will learn routes in an AM Rush hour settings. The following week, you will learn the same routes in a PM rush hour settings just to get a feel of operating in passengers service in different type of settings. Staten Island you have to learn all the routes out there. @SevenEleven can elaborate on the Staten Island line training operation.

After line training Is successfully completed and you and your class graduate , you are place on the Extra List (XL). Everyday except on your RDO you’re covering a run. Some days you may not  get a run but are place on report/standby. Your RDO’s maybe T/W, W/T, or if you’re lucky M/T, Th/Fri.

31 minutes ago, Flatbush Operator said:

Your schedule will reflect according to a senior operators  route daily. Normally it's Monday to Friday at different hours, but it's up to the depot's discretion. The first week you will learn routes in an AM Rush hour settings. The following week, you will learn the same routes in a PM rush hour settings just to get a feel of operating in passengers service in different type of settings. Staten Island you have to learn all the routes out there. @SevenEleven can elaborate on the Staten Island line training operation.

After line training Is successfully completed and you and your class graduate , you are place on the Extra List (XL). Everyday except on your RDO you’re covering a run. Some days you may not  get a run but are place on report/standby. Your RDO’s maybe T/W, W/T, or if you’re lucky M/T, Th/Fri.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. Now, as far as Line Training is concerned, is there any exams you have to pass or just listen and observe and do as told by the Senior bus operator? 

5 hours ago, Jonny Stoof said:

Same here. I’m list #4xx. Got the canvassing email in June and sent everything in and haven’t heard anything since.

any idea what list # they’re up to?

First of all, welcome to the Forums!

Second, have you considered reaching out to the "higher ups," whose contact information can be viewed here, to find out what's going on?

Third, as far as an idea with the list number, if you click here, and you type "Bus Operator" into the search box, you will see that, as of last month, they are in the 590's. In addition, if I am correct, there is a class starting this Sunday, August 15th, at Zerega.

Good luck!!

12 minutes ago, train1290 said:

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. Now, as far as Line Training is concerned, is there any exams you have to pass or just listen and observe and do as told by the Senior bus operator? 

How about after qualifying during the 10 day training, will we have the same time to report everyday? I.E. 8am-4pm?

26 minutes ago, train1290 said:

The line trainer operator is just your instructor for the route. He/She will give you feedback and teach you more about the route and driving tips.

No more testing until your next birthday. Every birthday year, you have to be 19A recertified. Depending which borough you’re in, you have to attend to either Zerega, Spring Creek or ((Jackie Gleason/East NY for Brooklyn Operators)). You watch safety videos, get behind the wheel with a 19A dispatcher, and after take a 15 question 19A CDL DMV written test. It's not hard and no you won’t lose your job if you fail the written test. If you fail, you have to come back the next day to retake the short written exam.

Edited by Flatbush Operator
Typo

3 hours ago, +Young+ said:

First of all, welcome to the Forums!

Second, have you considered reaching out to the "higher ups," whose contact information can be viewed here, to find out what's going on?

Third, as far as an idea with the list number, if you click here, and you type "Bus Operator" into the search box, you will see that, as of last month, they are in the 590's. In addition, if I am correct, there is a class starting this Sunday, August 15th, at Zerega.

Good luck!!

Thanks, I will try to reach out to them tomorrow. 

im not seeing what you’re talking about on dcas. I pulled it up but which column shows which list # they’re on?