B/O #9604 Hiring Process (TA)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.ad709944b622affec9979d37954c1e50.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9604

List Status:  This list has been established as of November 27, 2019, with an expiration date, as of now, of November 27th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.19 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, train1290 said:

It's 4 of us.

It wasn't too bad, i just have to get used to push and pull going from the top to bottom of the steering wheel. I have to cover my right side....get that 4 feet of space on my right. And, I have to scan my mirrors. Also, I have to stop turning before i get to my reference point otherwise my turns are too wide.

If you are not next to the curb, then put yourself next to a fixed object. Parked cars, not active construction stuff will suffice. But if your fixed object moves, then be prepared to retake your right side again. Look at the door and guage the space. If it looks like a car can fit, close the gap. You can't do nothing about bikes and people in your 4 feet while you are stopped. (You shouldn't be moving the bus if they're next to you, anyways)

For your turns, remember the wheels are behind you and not in front like a car. You will start your turn later than you would in a car and you have all that bus behind you to fit through the turn. Keep it straight until the reference point, stop to start turning the wheel, then go and follow through. The only time you will be moving your bus before the intersection is on hook turns. (And they will all be to the right, so you will only swing out enough to setup because you have the potential to open up your right side. Easiest way to clear a hook is to pivot around the curb. You will learn both of these turns this week and you will have both to use as choices in turns.

Here's a tip though: if you have to make a right turn and you are next to the curb, its gonna be a hook or a pivot turn, depending on the street you're turning onto.

1 hour ago, Jonny Stoof said:

Just curious, are there openings to go to Staten Island right out of training?

It's not a guarantee that you will come straight here. SI just got 32 transfer operators last week. They have to process operators wanting to go to SI in the order they put in their transfer requests.

Staten Island might be on the board when you pick depots for line training but if let's say there's 3 spots and they get picked before it gets to you, you're going have to put in your transfer request.

26 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

The only time you will be moving your bus before the intersection is on hook turns. (And they will all be to the right, so you will only swing out enough to setup because you have the potential to open up your right side. Easiest way to clear a hook is to pivot around the curb.

26 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

You will learn both of these turns this week and you will have both to use as choices in turns

Today, we learned about the "S" Turn, isn't that called the hook turn as well too? That I did well on today.

On 8/16/2021 at 2:07 AM, SevenEleven said:

Day 6 is going to be between Midtown and the East Village. You will do the left from 14th Street to Park Avenue and the left from Park onto 25th Street.

So what kind of turns would those be classified as, SevenEleven?

7 hours ago, train1290 said:

Today, we learned about the "S" Turn, isn't that called the hook turn as well too? That I did well on today.

Yeah, they're the same.

7 hours ago, train1290 said:

So what kind of turns would those be classified as, SevenEleven?

Off 14th Street is an acute turn, off Park is a pivot turn.

4 hours ago, hh1a said:

Good evening

When an operator resigns, you get about a year time limit to be rehired.

Does anyone know if its a year from the date that you resigned or a year from the date that you got hired ?

thank you all

Date you resign 

2 hours ago, Flatbush Operator said:

Anybody training out of Flatbush depot? We have 2 training buses assigned for the entire week. This must be a big class.

I'm out of Gun hill depot for training. I have Rich cerezo as well as a training superintendent Kevin Waite. I was told that there are 81 trainees in my class. 

Hi guys, so today I just messed up two times, first time was with the kneeler kneeling it up with the door open, instead i should have closed the door first then kneeled it up first. I only did it one time, that was it, the rest went ok. I corrected myself by scanning my mirrors, calling things out, but I messed up by drifting ( turning ) the wheel before getting to my referance point for the turns. Other than that everything went ok. So tomorrow Is day 4, i looked at the sheet for day 4, it says we are going to practice a mini pre trip to see what we know. What else are we going to learn on Day 4?

12 minutes ago, train1290 said:

Hi guys, so today I just messed up two times, first time was with the kneeler kneeling it up with the door open, instead i should have closed the door first then kneeled it up first. I only did it one time, that was it, the rest went ok. I corrected myself by scanning my mirrors, calling things out, but I messed up by drifting ( turning ) the wheel before getting to my referance point for the turns. Other than that everything went ok. So tomorrow Is day 4, i looked at the sheet for day 4, it says we are going to practice a mini pre trip to see what we know. What else are we going to learn on Day 4?

Okay, try to correct yourself with the drifting. I know it's a habit you have developed with your car. When you’re off the bus and heading home or this weekend, try practicing turning without drifting.

Day 4 you will be learning EL pillars/pre trips and more turns and servicing bus stops.

1 hour ago, train1290 said:

Tomorrow is L pillars day. I hated it. Just remember your reference point and move very slowly. I think you will alert be doing straight backing and parallel parking. 

2 hours ago, Flatbush Operator said:

Okay, try to correct yourself with the drifting. I know it's a habit you have developed with your car. When you’re off the bus and heading home or this weekend, try practicing turning without drifting.

Day 4 you will be learning EL pillars/pre trips and more turns and servicing bus stops.

Ok, Thank you Flatbush Operator.

1 hour ago, lornaevo said:

Tomorrow is L pillars day. I hated it. Just remember your reference point and move very slowly. I think you will alert be doing straight backing and parallel parking. 

Ok, Thank you Lornaevo. So they'll show us how to parallel park? parallel parking will be a little tricky especially with the  wheels behind us the driver seat?

27 minutes ago, train1290 said:

Ok, Thank you Lornaevo. So they'll show us how to parallel park? parallel parking will be a little tricky especially with the  wheels behind us the driver seat?

Yes. The supt will do it and explain what he’s doing. You will have to replicate. Remember before backing the bus. Secure it (P,N,I) and walk to the back of your bus and check for obstacles then do your backing. A guy in my class left the bus in reverse during this step. Supt wasn’t happy. 

16 hours ago, train1290 said:

You will be taught two methods to approaching the parallel park. If you have to take the road test you will be practicing this more at Eastchester because you will have to perform it for the DMV administrator. It's really not hard once you get the hang of it.

One method I have remembered and used was the 3/4 method. I don't have any pictures but I'm going to explain it as best as possible:

So there are roughly 7 cones spaced out in a large area, three to the front, one on the right side midway between the first row of three and the remaining three in the back. You're going to pull the bus up and line up the rear axle with the first row of cones (with about a foot or two of spacing between you and the cone). This is your pivot point. Once you get out and check the back of the vehicle for clearance, you will first turn the wheel all the way to the right, and SLOWLY back the bus while watching your LEFT mirror. You will STOP once you see the rear left corner appears to be between the outer left and middle cones of the back row of cones. This is where the 3/4 term comes from. You should not be able to see the center cone in the back row.

Now, straighten the wheel and slowly continue backing the bus until you see the OUTERMOST cone in the front row in your #2 front door window. This cone should be more or less lined up with the window so that you are looking directly at it. That is your next reference point. At this point you will STOP and turn the wheel all the way to the left. Continue backing into the space and watch the left back corner of the bus. You should STOP once the bus is straightened out and the rear left corner of the bus appears to be nearly touching the outermost cone of the back row. 

Hope that helps. Your instructors may use different objects as reference points since I don't think they'll have cones on hand.

17 hours ago, lornaevo said:

Yes. The supt will do it and explain what he’s doing. You will have to replicate. Remember before backing the bus. Secure it (P,N,I) and walk to the back of your bus and check for obstacles then do your backing. A guy in my class left the bus in reverse during this step. Supt wasn’t happy. 

Just got back from day 4, we did EL pillars today, it went ok. personally, im not a fan of them but i can perform it well. So we also did Parallel parking and strainght back, Everything went well. And no, None of us left it in reverse or drive for that matter. Everyone secured it, (P,N,I). 

Day 5 is going to be in Manhattan right?

1 hour ago, SoSpectacular said:

You will be taught two methods to approaching the parallel park. If you have to take the road test you will be practicing this more at Eastchester because you will have to perform it for the DMV administrator. It's really not hard once you get the hang of it.

One method I have remembered and used was the 3/4 method. I don't have any pictures but I'm going to explain it as best as possible:

So there are roughly 7 cones spaced out in a large area, three to the front, one on the right side midway between the first row of three and the remaining three in the back. You're going to pull the bus up and line up the rear axle with the first row of cones (with about a foot or two of spacing between you and the cone). This is your pivot point. Once you get out and check the back of the vehicle for clearance, you will first turn the wheel all the way to the right, and SLOWLY back the bus while watching your LEFT mirror. You will STOP once you see the rear left corner appears to be between the outer left and middle cones of the back row of cones. This is where the 3/4 term comes from. You should not be able to see the center cone in the back row.

Now, straighten the wheel and slowly continue backing the bus until you see the OUTERMOST cone in the front row in your #2 front door window. This cone should be more or less lined up with the window so that you are looking directly at it. That is your next reference point. At this point you will STOP and turn the wheel all the way to the left. Continue backing into the space and watch the left back corner of the bus. You should STOP once the bus is straightened out and the rear left corner of the bus appears to be nearly touching the outermost cone of the back row. 

Hope that helps. Your instructors may use different objects as reference points since I don't think they'll have cones on hand.

Ok, I already have my CDL so I don't have to do the CDL road test. Now as far as Day 7 is concerned, we have to do straight back and parallel parking right? or something else with parking? Also, When we park on Day 7, are they going to use traffic cones to simulate parking in a narrow spot or no? What is the route for day 6 and day 7?

Just now, train1290 said:

Just got back from day 4, we did EL pillars today, it went ok. personally, im not a fan of them but i can perform it well. So we also did Parallel parking and strainght back, Everything went well. And no, None of us left it in reverse or drive for that matter. Everyone secured it, (P,N,I). 

Day 5 is going to be in Manhattan right?

Yes, upper Manhattan. Did you correct the drifting?

EL Pillars technique is very important and will be used most of  the times throughout your operating career. When you become shifter qualify you will see why EL pillars are important to know and understand how to maneuver especially when working at areas that has Pillars.