B/O #9604 Hiring Process (TA)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.ad709944b622affec9979d37954c1e50.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9604

List Status:  This list has been established as of November 27, 2019, with an expiration date, as of now, of November 27th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.19 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

6 hours ago, KDGallagher said:

Any reason for the difference? Will those of us on this list (9604) get placed in both depots? 

End of the year with all else being equal, that's a $5k difference and that's huge. 

Do ATU eventually catch up or is top pay slightly different as well?

ATU is without a contract right now, so we are under the provisions of the prior contract. Once a contract is signed off on, it will match the TWU hourly rate.

There are 7 TA depots represented by ATU. The 4 in Staten Island and the 3 in Queens. (Casey Stengel, Jamaica and Queens Village) You can be forced to work in either SI or TA Queens from jump due to operator availability. (With the option to return to TWU land - The Bronx, Manhattan and Brooklyn)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

ATU is without a contract right now, so we are under the provisions of the prior contract. Once a contract is signed off on, it will match the TWU hourly rate.

There are 7 TA depots represented by ATU. The 4 in Staten Island and the 3 in Queens. (Casey Stengel, Jamaica and Queens Village) You can be forced to work in either SI or TA Queens from jump due to operator availability. (With the option to return to TWU land - The Bronx, Manhattan and Brooklyn)

Do you expect a contract in the near future? Assuming a new contract is in play, will backpay be awarded? 

And I thought TA was simply Brooklyn and Queens,  OA and Bus Company operated out of the other boroughs. 

And unrelated, but from "easiest" to "hardest, can you rank the different boroughs as far as driving difficulty? I would assume Manhattan being the hardest simply due to traffic / congestion

1 hour ago, KDGallagher said:

Do you expect a contract in the near future? Assuming a new contract is in play, will backpay be awarded? 

And I thought TA was simply Brooklyn and Queens,  OA and Bus Company operated out of the other boroughs. 

And unrelated, but from "easiest" to "hardest, can you rank the different boroughs as far as driving difficulty? I would assume Manhattan being the hardest simply due to traffic / congestion

Arbitration ended today, so probably will have one by the end of the year. Retro pay will be awarded.

TA on paper is Staten Island, those 3 depots in Queens and the depots in Brooklyn. (Excluding Spring Creek, that's MTA Bus)

OA is all the depots in Manhattan and The Bronx.

MTA Bus is every other depot.

TA Brooklyn and OA is consolidated meaning that you can work out of all of those depots. If you transfer to SI, you are locked into working out of that boro and TA Queens, you are locked into the depot that you pick into.

I can't speak for The Bronx, Queens or Brooklyn. I felt Manhattan was going to be hard but once you get used to it, it becomes easy. Staten Island goes to sleep after 10pm. Every boro except SI has artics. SI and Ulmer Park in Brooklyn has all the express buses. It's all personal preference. Brooklyn, The Bronx and Queens, you're going to be taking loads off the trains. The SI equivalent to that is the ferry. It goes on and on. 

8 hours ago, KDGallagher said:

Manhattan can get dicey depending on the time of day, Brooklyn is nearly right up there in terms of difficulty (largely depends on routes, Flatbush Avenue gets very dicey during the PM rush and a lot of routes intersect or pass through), Bronx and Queens should be largely similar considering their geographical makeups with less densely populated areas and more suburbs, can't speak for traffic conditions on the Island though.

3 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

Manhattan can get dicey depending on the time of day, Brooklyn is nearly right up there in terms of difficulty (largely depends on routes, Flatbush Avenue gets very dicey during the PM rush and a lot of routes intersect or pass through), Bronx and Queens should be largely similar considering their geographical makeups with less densely populated areas and more suburbs, can't speak for traffic conditions on the Island though.

Flushing gets rough at times. Lots of pedestrian traffic and cars that don’t follow traffic rules. 

I was turned back because I have too many points (before CDL and it was 1 ticket in LI 6 pts for speeding ticket last year) i paid it not thinking i was called for the BO position. i was given a paper to return once the points fall does anyone know if there’s a chance? Does anyone know when the lost expires? Can the mta hires even if the list expired? 

8 minutes ago, train1290 said:

Hello everyone, Today I got a phone call to go in this Friday for Medical and Final Processing. I hope everything goes well with Medical. Question....What do they check during Medical? Anyone know?

Vision

Hearing 

Blood pressure 

Additional drug test (rapid results)

Weight 

You also sit at a computer and answer questions about your health.

From my experience if you have any conditions I would personally go get a letter from your doctor verifying that your condition is controlled via whatever for of medication and your condition does not impede with your driving a CMV. 

18 minutes ago, -Galan- said:

Vision

Hearing 

Blood pressure 

Weight 

From my experience if you have any conditions I would personally go get a letter from your doctor verifying that your condition is controlled via whatever for of medication and your condition does not impede with your driving a CMV. 

Ok, for vision, what do they check? How about the others that you mentioned? Do they take blood via a blood draw?

1 minute ago, train1290 said:

Ok, for vision, what do they check? How about the others that you mentioned? Do they take blood via a blood draw?

no they dont take blood. I got vision tested even though i had on my glasses. Theyre testing your level of visual perception. see if you can interpret gestalt grouping principles.

29 minutes ago, -Galan- said:

Vision

Hearing 

Blood pressure 

Weight 

I think it depends on what your condition is.  if i had kept my mouth shut i would have started already. since everything else was *chef kiss*

26 minutes ago, misslo said:

no they dont take blood. I got vision tested even though i had on my glasses. Theyre testing your level of visual perception. see if you can interpret gestalt grouping principles.

Wait, what is that exactly? How is the test for that conducted?

15 minutes ago, train1290 said:

Wait, what is that exactly? How is the test for that conducted?

🤔  proximity, similarity, continuity, some figure and ground. nothing difficult. visual psych something along those lines

5 minutes ago, misslo said:

🤔  proximity, similarity, continuity, some figure and ground. nothing difficult. visual psych something along those lines

I dont get it...like what do they make you do? Read an eye chart, look into a machine? What exactly do they make you do?

7 hours ago, Lourdetrailor said:

I was turned back because I have too many points (before CDL and it was 1 ticket in LI 6 pts for speeding ticket last year) i paid it not thinking i was called for the BO position. i was given a paper to return once the points fall does anyone know if there’s a chance? Does anyone know when the lost expires? Can the mta hires even if the list expired? 

They fall off 18 months from the date you got the ticket. The list expires exactly 4 years from when it was established, unless it was extended. 

41 minutes ago, train1290 said:

What's the Signal test?

If you are colorblind and can't pass that portion of the test, they will ask you to identify the colors on a subway signal. That will be good enough to pass that portion of the vision test.

14 minutes ago, train1290 said:

I dont get it...like what do they make you do? Read an eye chart, look into a machine? What exactly do they make you do?

Eye chart (They will ask you which line you can see farthest down and the opening in each figure)

Depth perception 

Colorblind test 

Peripheral Vision 

All of this is done by looking into a machine except for the signal test.

8 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

They fall off 18 months from the date you got the ticket. The list expires exactly 4 years from when it was established, unless it was extended. 

If you are colorblind and can't pass that portion of the test, they will ask you to identify the colors on a subway signal. That will be good enough to pass that portion of the vision test.

Eye chart (They will ask you which line you can see farthest down and the opening in each figure)

Depth perception 

Colorblind test 

Peripheral Vision 

8 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

Depth perception 

Colorblind test 

Peripheral Vision 

OK, so how about EKG, do they do that, how long do they monitor your heart rate? How about, does the doctor check your body out for any scars? Make you bend? 

Why is it so hard to  to reschedule one single appointment lol . I call again when I wake up. Just landed  back home..  sent email twice , no response call , the lady keep saying call next day call next day lol 🤣👍 this whole week I call hr six times 2 of six they answered. Ridiculous 😭😭

2 hours ago, train1290 said:

OK, so how about EKG, do they do that, how long do they monitor your heart rate? How about, does the doctor check your body out for any scars? Make you bend? 

You will do an EKG, they will hook you up to the machine and run it for a couple minutes. They will be checking your range of motion so you will be bending, doing some rotations, making sure your arms and legs are good to drive. Stop overthinking it. Although, they might make you run, do some hurdles, ride a bike, swim if you're lucky.

1 minute ago, SevenEleven said:

You will do an EKG, they will hook you up to the machine and run it for a couple minutes. They will be checking your range of motion so you will be bending, doing some rotations, making sure your arms and legs are good to drive. Stop overthinking it. Although, they might make you run, do some hurdles, ride a bike, swim if you're lucky.

Run for how long?