B/O #9604 Hiring Process (TA)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.ad709944b622affec9979d37954c1e50.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9604

List Status:  This list has been established as of November 27, 2019, with an expiration date, as of now, of November 27th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.19 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I passed the drug test, had to go down for my medical they told me since I would start training august 15 but finish 9/26 with my wedding on 10/17 call them back after my honeymoon and they will get me back to finish the process because theirs no guarantee a depot I end up in will give me all those days off straight out of training. They are in a hiring spree so I’m not worried about getting back on in October  

2 hours ago, NMondi said:

I passed the drug test, had to go down for my medical they told me since I would start training august 15 but finish 9/26 with my wedding on 10/17 call them back after my honeymoon and they will get me back to finish the process because theirs no guarantee a depot I end up in will give me all those days off straight out of training. They are in a hiring spree so I’m not worried about getting back on in October  

Also that the drug test expired in 90 days- three months..so you may have to repeat the whole process again. And they may push you to down the bottom of list. It is up to you since family is always First.It suck to be  around the same time ..there is lot of people waiting... I don't know what the Total is.

My opinion is I  think you should secured it first and make up the training dates..  since there is training  almost every month.  Don't be afraid to ask the instructor. 

Edited by mattfutureconductor5

I probably going to declined this position because of my father and mother . They don't want me to drive bus.  It is hard job . hopefully I get into conductor Job I need to listen to parents. It is hard since I pay so much for the exam  hopefully I can restore my list # in the future or reapply when I feel more ready. Good luck to rest of people who going to training this upcoming two week .. 

Yeah I mean I took the test 3 years ago and you wanna call me 10 weeks before my wedding lol. I didn’t want to risk a what if factor so I’m sure If they were willing to hire me a week ago they still will 10 weeks from now. Drug test and medical should still be fine for me if I gotta take it again that’s fine I know I’ll pass so that’s not the issue. Because it says on paper prior vacations planned won’t be excused so I just think it’s a bad image coming out of training going into a depot Takin 11 days off already that’s if it’s even granted to me. Guy said call him back in October when I’m done with everything and they will get me back in 

On 7/30/2021 at 1:32 PM, Evowl03 said:

Same thing happened to me, they put me on medical hold for something that I knew I didn’t have. I cleared the medical hold 5 days before my class started and the person who invited me to 180 Livingston nor the employment center staff ever replied to my emails or answered my phone calls to make the appointment to go and take the paperwork before my class starting date. Suddenly 4 days after my class started Nov.8 they replied made the appointment after I finished doing everything it was completely silence from them going back to not answering again at last after two weeks the person who invited me said there were no more class until January and I would be call then… time passed until April me calling repeatedly I received the pre-employment application again I sent it back not response, appointment or anything I keep calling and investigating what is going on. A Good Samaritan inside the staff told me to email employment center again and explain everything to them and after 3 days I emailed them they replied saying my name was out of the list since Nov. due to the medical hold and to email DCAS to restore my name which I did and now when I called again to see what’s going on now that my name is restored they said you have to do everything all over again because the 90 days passed. Remind you I’m on the 200’s and I know people in the 500’s already finishing line training.

It is unfortunate what they’re doing and the communications are terrible. I never knew I was out of the list until now because that person never informed me about it nor instructed me to refer to DCAS for restoration of name in such a long period of times where so many classes had begun.

I am sorry to hear what happened with you. I think, in my case at least, that it was not intentional but a typical case of disorganization. Since candidates do not know the procedures, the hiring unit employees end up either giving the wrong information or the generic response of no vacancy " do not bother me I am busy" answer. I wish there was a better way of communicating with candidates. I hope you get called soon. 

6 hours ago, mattfutureconductor5 said:

I probably going to declined this position because of my father and mother . They don't want me to drive bus.  It is hard job . hopefully I get into conductor Job I need to listen to parents. It is hard since I pay so much for the exam  hopefully I can restore my list # in the future or reapply when I feel more ready. Good luck to rest of people who going to training this upcoming two week .. 

Once you get used to it, it's not that hard. Just like anything else, it's hard at first, however, over time it becomes second nature.

If you want some specifics, send me a Private Message (PM) and we'll take it from there.

8 minutes ago, KDGallagher said:

Not employment related but how often are your off days going to be back2back? Monday-Tuesday, Friday-Saturday, Sunday-Monday, etc?

Is it possible to use RDO days right before or after your off days to make a 3 day off scenario? 

Your RDOs are your days off. The work week runs Sunday thru Saturday and you are guaranteed your two RDOs every week. Under normal circumstances, they are back to back.