R262 (R62/R62A Replacement) - Information & Discussion

Union Tpke
Message added by East New York

04289B70-0E3E-4F9D-B575-F4A226826C79.jpeg

Assuming that the R42s retire this yr, you can use all numbers ranging from 3950-5000, about 1050 cars able to be used. Then after R44-46 retirement the other main gaps are 100-1100 (1000 cars) and 5201-6300 (1100 cars), not even including the R32s to be replaced as R211s come in. You could make a main order out of one of these consists and put an option order in another if you wanted to like the R142s. Like starting with the R211s, we start with 501-1035, then with the remaining cars we could start the option R211s with 5201 and go up to 6278 (renumber R46s if you have to). (Perfect fit almost with these numbers)

Now getting to the R262, the main reason fleet numbers were brought up, 3350-5000 are completely free after the R211s replace the R32s. This is more than 1500 cars so there is a way to use these numbers starting with the 3300's.  

That's enough basic math trivia with the fleet. Just wanted to share how I saw a way to use these fleet numbers.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain
Deleted a repeated point

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/6/2019 at 4:13 PM, MysteriousBtrain said:

Assuming that the R42s retire this yr, you can use all numbers ranging from 3950-5000, about 1050 cars able to be used. Then after R44-46 retirement the other main gaps are 100-1100 (1000 cars) and 5201-6300 (1100 cars), not even including the R32s to be replaced as R211s come in. You could make a main order out of one of these consists and put an option order in another if you wanted to like the R142s. Like starting with the R211s, we start with 501-1035, then with the remaining cars we could start the option R211s with 5201 and go up to 6278 (renumber R46s if you have to). (Perfect fit almost with these numbers)

Now getting to the R262, the main reason fleet numbers were brought up, 3350-5000 are completely free after the R211s replace the R32s. This is more than 1500 cars so there is a way to use these numbers starting with the 3300's.  

That's enough basic math trivia with the fleet. Just wanted to share how I saw a way to use these fleet numbers.

But instead of putting the plate numbers on the R262s on top, let’s do a classic turn and put the plates next to the motorman/conductor’s windows to match the R17/21*/22* (*before the S/B paint, the R17’s plates did not change after the paints). I would like to see a new IRT NTT cars with plate numbers on the bottom this time around instead of the top

3 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

They could be cheap and just leave R62As on the shuttle.

Why would they? The cars are ready to retire once they reach 40. We don’t need to spend even more money in 2030 to maintain cars that should’ve been retired, when it would be cheaper to replace them with newer cars.

15 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Why would they? The cars are ready to retire once they reach 40. We don’t need to spend even more money in 2030 to maintain cars that should’ve been retired, when it would be cheaper to replace them with newer cars.

I agree. However, if they are strapped for cash, they could do this. CBTC installation on the shuttle is nowhere close to happening.

23 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

I agree. However, if they are strapped for cash, they could do this. CBTC installation on the shuttle is nowhere close to happening.

Before you even think about CBTC and implementing new cars, the line needs to be rebuilt and closed down to make it modern and up to current standards.

28 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Before you even think about CBTC and implementing new cars, the line needs to be rebuilt and closed down to make it modern and up to current standards.

The line will be reconfigured soon. The lines three tracks will become two tracks and two 6 car trains will operate independently on each of those two tracks. Times Square will be moved to a straighter section of track to make it ADA Accessible.

I know its early to determine car assignments but what's more likely? The (1) (3)(6) and (S) get the new R262s. Or use the R262s on the busier Lexington Avenue lines and move the R142s/A from the (4) (5) to (1) (3) and (S)? I would prefer that the R262S go to Lexington so that the open gangways can be used to fit more people since Lexington is very busy. I would also put them on the :2:aswell since it could share cars with the (5) and since its the longest IRT route. And the Older tech trains work 7 Av.

6 hours ago, Q23 via 108 said:

I know its early to determine car assignments but what's more likely? The (1) (3)(6) and (S) get the new R262s. Or use the R262s on the busier Lexington Avenue lines and move the R142s/A from the (4) (5) to (1) (3) and (S)? I would prefer that the R262S go to Lexington so that the open gangways can be used to fit more people since Lexington is very busy. I would also put them on the :2:aswell since it could share cars with the (5) and since its the longest IRT route. And the Older tech trains work 7 Av.

I can see it playing out like this 

(1) R142

(2) R262

(3) R142, R142A

(4) R142

(5) R262

(6) R262

(S) R262 (special 6 car sets with more standing room inside and less seats)

16 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

I can see it playing out like this 

(1) R142

(2) R262

(3) R142, R142A

(4) R142

(5) R262

(6) R262

(S) R262 (special 6 car sets with more standing room inside and less seats)

The only thing with the (3) is 145 Street. When the :2: goes to Harlem, the R142s skip 145th. So how would they handle that?

5 minutes ago, Maxwell179 said:

why do they skip 145th ?

34 minutes ago, Q23 via 108 said:

The only thing with the (3) is 145 Street. When the :2: goes to Harlem, the R142s skip 145th. So how would they handle that?

It's more of a policy type thing than a car type thing. Theoretically R142s can stop at 145th, but there's a weird rule saying that for stations that doesn't cover the full length of the train, only the train lines that usually stops there can stop there, but other trains (like a R62A (1)  and a R142 (2) can't stop there and like how a R142 (2) and R62 (3) can't stop at South Ferry loop). 

I’m guessing probably because crews on the rerouted trains are unfamiliar with 145th St and where exactly to stop the trains so they are in just the right place for the doors in the front section to open onto the platform. I can understand that, especially because the (2) uses rolling stock that’s significantly different from what’s used on the (1) and (3). At least it’s not an issue with the R142 cars being unable to properly platform there (which I do recall reading was an issue with South Ferry Loop), so that won’t be an issue when the R62s retire. 

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2019 at 7:07 AM, Q23 via 108 said:

why don't they just abandon 145 St? Its close enough to the full length 148 St station.

1 hour ago, Q23 via 108 said:

I read that Harlem residents wanted the station to stay open. 

People actually argued that closing 145 would become a pain in the ass to handle walking to the next station (up to 7 blocks of walking!)

2 hours ago, Q23 via 108 said:

I read that Harlem residents wanted the station to stay open. 

Given that it's already about 7 cars long, and they've removed the crossover south of the station, would it be possible to extend it an extra three cars (even if it might have to go slightly north?) Or would ridership simply not warrant that much effort?