A C E lines Voted as the Worst Subway Line by Riders

Via Garibaldi 8

Vote: Which Subway Line Is The City's Worst?

In our third round of voting, we're pitting the East Side against the West Side. Who has it worse? A/C/E riders or those on the 4/5/6?

By Kathleen Culliton, Patch Staff | Mar 24, 2019 8:51 pm ET

dsx6dcnxkaeft5s-1515161218-2129-15532708

A crowded New York City subway platform. Photo used with permission. (@LadyZombie| Twitter)

NEW YORK CITY — Hundreds of Patch readers voted and it's official: The worst subway letter line is covered with human excrement and smells like death. Congratulations to the A/C/E line, you've been voted the worst letter trains in NYC.

Patch is conducting its own transit take on March Madness in a quest to discover which subway line is the city's worst. Last week, we asked you all to vote on which letter line makes you mad AF (F for F train, obviously) and your reasons for picking the A/C/E were pretty disturbing.

"You're lucky if there's only piles of garbage on the floor and not human excrement," wrote one voter. Another wrote, "Car is filled with smell of death."

"It's the Wild Wild East out here," opined another. "Delays are constant. And not for normal boring reasons. More like ... a woman has hacked a person to pieces with a machete."

"When the C pulls into the station and riders want to switch to the A which is across the platform, the conductor will close the doors," said a third. "Cruel and irritating!"

Many of you also complained about long delay, old cars that often break down and rush hour commutes that are time-consuming and squished.

So now the question is, who has it worst? The East Side, with it's sardine tin-packed 4/5/6 line or the West Side with it's garbage-laden A/C/E?

Source: https://patch.com/new-york/brooklyn/vote-which-subway-line-citys-worst?fbclid=IwAR1nYJTfKt2E63epcHx5nbMWL8EwqBYvdelZnOg3xCyrIRBU91_BS89EiYQ

The E I can agree with....there are days where I would purposely go to Lefferts Blvd for the A instead of taking the E, considering how delay-prone Queens Blvd tends to be, along with the amount of homeless people that stay on the E, which is something they need to be proactive about when it comes to removing them from the subways. 

Just now, BreeddekalbL said:

Dang alot has changed since ive been gone they have been going after the 2

The (2) has its own problems... Still insanely crowded, but the (A)(C)(E) trains are by far the worst IMO. The (A) is SLOW, and infrequent.  You get two trains back to back, then a wait, often times a long one, and then you have to hope that they move when one finally comes. The (C) is just as bad, but even more infrequent.  The real kicker is the stations are DISGUSTING Uptown, even the ones they did a semi rehab on, but the ones in Washington Heights... By far the worst... The elevators CONSTANTLY break down now. I had to go up there the other day and wasn't sure if I was going to cancel what I had planned because just about every elevator was broken at 181st street.  This was the scene a few weeks ago at that station:

53110464_10109085031999853_8273788337173

54437489_10109085032034783_6763947697285

People almost backed outside...

4 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

The E I can agree with....there are days where I would purposely go to Lefferts Blvd for the A instead of taking the E, considering how delay-prone Queens Blvd tends to be, along with the amount of homeless people that stay on the E, which is something they need to be proactive about when it comes to removing them from the subways. 

I actually took the (E) last Saturday. I swear to God... I transferred at West 4th street and my head was on a swivel looking for any homeless people.  I seem to have a problem of not remembering to look, and when I haven't, I've walked into the car to have to bolt to the next one.  With the (E) you can at least walk to the next car, but with the (A) you are stuck until you get to the next station. Of course the train terminated at 2nd Avenue, which is probably one of the most disgusting stations outside of that Chambers Street station on the (J) line. It embodies everything that wasn't great about the Lower East Side back in the day. lol

I'd probably put the (A) , (F)  and (4) as my worst... the (A) is infrequent and crawls, the (F) is super erratic and dirty (I was railfanning at West 8th last week and saw 7 SB (F) s within 20 minutes and then waited 20 mins for a disgusting R46 with trash everywhere; bolted at Neptune for an R160 (F) 3 mins behind), and the (4) is always packed and is delayed because of some issue in the Bronx or Brooklyn (which is why I usually opt for the (5) or (Q)). I can't really speak for the (E) as I usually use the (F) or (R) on QBL since they run closer to the UWS and north Midtown, but I personally think that the (C) has gotten better with the new R179s and the reduction of timers - I usually see a (C) before an (A) .

Ill say the (2) (3) the worst on the west side to me...i actually been taking the (A) (C) lately...With the exception of the (C) most of the time beating the (A) to my destination...its been moving smoothly lately for me...The (E) i really never came across a major problem except the homeless problem and a few train traffic delays...

The (A) has tooooo many timers especially the downtown express especially in manhattan. Plus I also think with the equipment as well. I was watching an R46 (A) leave Euclid going uptown the train took forever to leave the station (taking about acceleration) An R32 (A) would’ve flew out the station lol . Plus when I got on (A) R46 an R179 (C) left like 5m before. Because of the construction the (C) went express and I caught up with the (C) at utica we had to wait because the (C) came first. I was like (C) should’ve gotten on that (C) lol 

The (A) and (C) are honestly both very slow. Waiting for the (A) on both the Lefferts and Rockaway branches is such a pain with abysmal headways. However, I don't think the (E) is bad. In fact from my experience it has more faster express runs than the (A) on Queens Blvd. 

I think the worst line has to be the (R) for fairly obvious reasons: it's slow, delayed, and long...

38 minutes ago, R179 8258 said:

The (A) has tooooo many timers especially the downtown express especially in manhattan. Plus I also think with the equipment as well. I was watching an R46 (A) leave Euclid going uptown the train took forever to leave the station (taking about acceleration) An R32 (A) would’ve flew out the station lol . Plus when I got on (A) R46 an R179 (C) left like 5m before. Because of the construction the (C) went express and I caught up with the (C) at utica we had to wait because the (C) came first. I was like (C) should’ve gotten on that (C) lol 

The (A) gets a bad rep. It's killers are the merges with the (C) at Canal and Hoyt and with the (D) at 59 -- the timers on the core portion from 125 to Euclid are, with a few exceptions (n/b 14-34, entering 59 sb, curves at Fulton, High and Jay, Broadway Junction platform) all >=30mph 2 shots, meaning it really just comes down to how good your op is. 

The (C), on the other hand, is just a bad train. 6tph for all but 2 hours per day, 5tph most weekends, crazy gaps, etc. That said, it's my lifeline -- (G) to the (A)(C) has become how I get off of Culver on weekends because the (F) is such sh*t all the time. 

2 hours ago, RR503 said:

The (A) gets a bad rep. It's killers are the merges with the (C) at Canal and Hoyt and with the (D) at 59 -- the timers on the core portion from 125 to Euclid are, with a few exceptions (n/b 14-34, entering 59 sb, curves at Fulton, High and Jay, Broadway Junction platform) all >=30mph 2 shots, meaning it really just comes down to how good your op is. 

The (C), on the other hand, is just a bad train. 6tph for all but 2 hours per day, 5tph most weekends, crazy gaps, etc. That said, it's my lifeline -- (G) to the (A)(C) has become how I get off of Culver on weekends because the (F) is such sh*t all the time. 

I agree. I don’t know they put that timer on High Street curve. I understand it’s a safety hazard. But when the (A)(C) flew into high st. My favorite lol. But they’re getting R179s plus they’re suppose to be doing evaluating the speed marker thru out the system. Let’s see what they do to 8th Ave/Fulton St Line

52 minutes ago, R179 8258 said:

I agree. I don’t know they put that timer on High Street curve. I understand it’s a safety hazard. But when the (A)(C) flew into high st. My favorite lol. But they’re getting R179s plus they’re suppose to be doing evaluating the speed marker thru out the system. Let’s see what they do to 8th Ave/Fulton St Line

Control line issue if I had to guess. That area still has original signals, iinm. 

It’s important to keep in mind a few things with the speed effort: that the vast majority of changes made will likely be speed signs and not timers given the complexity of eliminating the latter, and that timers are only one thing that drive slow service. Flagging is responsible for more delays than timers, and merges, terminals, dwell times etc play a large roles too. 

The R46's cause massive dwell times on the (A). The (C) I can't see it being the worst, people just say that because it runs the oldest cars but it does have constant gaps in service . The (E) is getting alot worse than before. 

Between the timers and the R46's,  that's why the (A) is horrible. The R179's and R32's would help it improve. Then once the R211's come in it'll even be better.

I think we should give the (C) some more credit. On the stretch between Hoyt and Euclid, it’s not only more consistent, but dare I say even faster than the (A). The R179s were a great improvement, not to mention the nice variety the line currrent has (R32/46/179). IMO it just needs to run more frequently and the mergers at Canal and Hoyt need to be timed better as to not snarl both services. 

In general, I seldom even use the (A) or the (C) anymore (no real reason to)....

....but if or whenever I'm coming from Harlem (or points north), I refuse to take the (A) (CPW express portion feels like you're moving in slow motion.... Like on cruise control at a whopping 7 mph, Smh)...  Unlucky me ends up being in the car with either:

- the beggar with the long drawn out speech that paces back & forth like 5 times b/w said stretch [honestly, if I didn't give you shit the first time, what makes you think you're gonna get anything the second, third, fourth, or fifth damn time]...
- the american idol reject...
- the bootleg Jimi Hendrix that resembles Bob Ross, or....
- the ex-con' male strippers that are more commonly known as "showtime" dancers....

Always.... With...out fail. No matter if I'm coming from the Bronx on the damn (D) or somewhere b/w Wash. Hgts & Harlem on the damn (A).... From Wash. Hgts, the M5 has been my friend for some time now & I'm not abandoning ship, no matter how bad traffic gets on Broadway.....

On the Brooklyn/Queens end, I can not remember the last time I rode a train along the Fulton.....  I'm just not around Fulton st like that.... If I'm coming from Far Rock, I'll take the (A) as far as B'way Junction & xfer over for the B12 back home.... That sluggish crawl from the Rockaways I'm used to & have taken it to be the norm'...

As for the (E), have it not be for it being a mobile homeless shelter, I don't really have any issues with it.... I prefer it over the (C) TBH.....

Not implicating that they're anything to write home about, but I can't bring myself to saying that the 8th av line{s} are the worst....

24 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

In general, I seldom even use the (A) or the (C) anymore (no real reason to)....

....but if or whenever I'm coming from Harlem (or points north), I refuse to take the (A) (CPW express portion feels like you're moving in slow motion.... Like on cruise control at a whopping 7 mph, Smh)...  Unlucky me ends up being in the car with either:

- the beggar with the long drawn out speech that paces back & forth like 5 times b/w said stretch [honestly, if I didn't give you shit the first time, what makes you think you're gonna get anything the second, third, fourth, or fifth damn time]...
- the american idol reject...
- the bootleg Jimi Hendrix that resembles Bob Ross, or....
- the ex-con' male strippers that are more commonly known as "showtime" dancers....

Always.... With...out fail. No matter if I'm coming from the Bronx on the damn (D) or somewhere b/w Wash. Hgts & Harlem on the damn (A).... From Wash. Hgts, the M5 has been my friend for some time now & I'm not abandoning ship, no matter how bad traffic gets on Broadway.....

On the Brooklyn/Queens end, I can not remember the last time I rode a train along the Fulton.....  I'm just not around Fulton st like that.... If I'm coming from Far Rock, I'll take the (A) as far as B'way Junction & xfer over for the B12 back home.... That sluggish crawl from the Rockaways I'm used to & have taken it to be the norm'...

As for the (E), have it not be for it being a mobile homeless shelter, I don't really have any issues with it.... I prefer it over the (C) TBH.....

Not implicating that they're anything to write home about, but I can't bring myself to saying that the 8th av line{s} are the worst....

Word i have to agree with you with the beggers....LMAO at the mobile homeless shelter...I really dont know how (E) riders put up with that...

3 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

Word i have to agree with you with the beggers....LMAO at the mobile homeless shelter...I really dont know how (E) riders put up with that...

Without the cooperation of MTA management and the police, there really isn’t a whole lot the riders can do to stop the beggars and the “mobile homeless shelters.” Should they take matters into their own hands if the police/MTA don’t? Who’s going to take the chance on getting physically injured, maimed, killed, catching bed bugs, catching some kind of disease by trying to put a mentally unstable homeless person (and their possessions) off the train because there’s no one in authority trying to prevent them from staying there in the first place?

3 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Without the cooperation of MTA management and the police, there really isn’t a whole lot the riders can do to stop the beggars and the “mobile homeless shelters.” Should they take matters into their own hands if the police/MTA don’t? Who’s going to take the chance on getting physically injured, maimed, killed, catching bed bugs, catching some kind of disease by trying to put a mentally unstable homeless person (and their possessions) off the train because there’s no one in authority trying to prevent them from staying there in the first place? Or being sued by said homeless person if the homeless person is the one who is injured?

I agree with you....Whats funny is that 2 weeks ago i was walking from the (J) to the path at fulton st...Saw like 5 cops making everyone that was laying in the area of the dunkin donuts get up and leave...I mean the cops was loud about it too...

6 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

Speaking of mobile homeless shelters... there were about 10-15 homeless people on one train this morning on the (R) (not train car, but entire train). Idk if that's supposed to be normal (probably a late night thing), but that's the most I've ever seen all at once in my experience.

On 3/27/2019 at 5:40 PM, Cabanamaner said:

I think we should give the (C) some more credit. On the stretch between Hoyt and Euclid, it’s not only more consistent, but dare I say even faster than the (A). The R179s were a great improvement, not to mention the nice variety the line currrent has (R32/46/179). IMO it just needs to run more frequently and the mergers at Canal and Hoyt need to be timed better as to not snarl both services. 

Frequency on the (C) is definitely warranted, but the car assignments are "messy" and poorly managed. It's either 480ft or 600ft; not a mix of both lengths. The R46 (C) confuses the hell out of riders in Brooklyn, ESPECIALLY at Jay street and Hoyt-Schemerhorn sts. The (C) needs a solid fleet assignment. The (A) needs 60ft cars. 

On 3/28/2019 at 2:06 PM, biGC323232 said:

We just simply put up with it. Unless it stinks the car up. I remember one time I was on my way to school, and one Car stunk so bad that it was locked up compared to the rest of the train because of the stench. Every other train car was crowded. 

On 3/28/2019 at 8:53 PM, Bay Ridge Express said:

Speaking of mobile homeless shelters... there were about 10-15 homeless people on one train this morning on the (R) (not train car, but entire train). Idk if that's supposed to be normal (probably a late night thing), but that's the most I've ever seen all at once in my experience.

That reminds me a few days ago. I got on the (R) and there were like 5-8 people sleeping on the 4th Car (R46). I just looked in the train car in awe cause I never seen anything like that before. 

That aside, here’s my opinion on (A)(C)(E)

(A) is alright. Crowds can be unbearable sometimes considering that most of its fleet is R46’s. It’s alright around Fulton. The Headway’s are something because there’s no consistency with the (A) line’s Schedule in my opinion. Can’t really speak for the route past Rockaway Blvd.

(C) on Fulton. It’s faster than the (A) most of the time. Especially with the 179’s. The merge at Hoyt though isn’t much of a Problem to me even though I know it’s a bottleneck. In Manhattan though. It feels like you’re going fast on the (C) when in reality you’re going slow. Or at least that’s my experience. 

The (E)? It’s alright, minus the homeless. Pretty fast on QBL as long as it’s not Rush Hours. The merge at 75th is annoying though. That’s all I have for the (E) 

On 3/28/2019 at 9:46 PM, VIP said:

but the car assignments are "messy" and poorly managed. It's either 480ft or 600ft; not a mix of both lengths. The R46 (C) confuses the hell out of riders in Brooklyn, ESPECIALLY at Jay street and Hoyt-Schemerhorn sts. The (C) needs a solid fleet assignment.

Really? I thought it was easier for riders to distinguish between the (A) and (C) considering that they run solo on separate tracks in Brooklyn (below Hoyt).

The (C) just needs to stay either 480 feet or 600 feet using one particular car type instead of this nonsensical mixture of aforementioned car lengths combined with the mixture of three different car types all concurrently on the line.

Not surprising to see here to say the least. (A) is running pretty slow due to timers and other issues causing long wait times for this train, (C) is always tends to show up first before the (A) (I've seen alot of folks riding it more often when they're riding northbound and southbound on 8th Ave). The (E) is alright though, it does pretty well on 8th Ave local. So well, it's more quicker than the (A) and (C) during weekdays. 

On 3/25/2019 at 2:53 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

53110464_10109085031999853_8273788337173

54437489_10109085032034783_6763947697285

People almost backed outside...

That's actually 181st Street on the (1).  

Archived