Queens Bus Redesign Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

Q44 to Fordham would be good because it would connect to the transit hub, MNRR, BX12/41 and shopping area.

1) Makes it easier to get from the West BX to the Q44.

2) Intermediate fares from Fordham MNRR are better than from Manhattan.

3) Makes it easier to get to/from uptown without using the subway, especially with crazy weekend track work.

4) Q44 connects to the Airtrain and is proposed connect to the Q10, a Bronx to JFK bus would be too much.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Q44 to Fordham would be good because it would connect to the transit hub, MNRR, BX12/41 and shopping area.

1) Makes it easier to get from the West BX to the Q44.

2) Intermediate fares from Fordham MNRR are better than from Manhattan.

3) Makes it easier to get to/from uptown without using the subway, especially with crazy weekend track work.

4) Q44 connects to the Airtrain and is proposed connect to the Q10, a Bronx to JFK bus would be too much.

On paper, it sounds good, but, I'm heavily skeptical on how this extension would really fair out...

Although....

1. Getting to/from the West Bronx was already easy from the Q44 since it already connects with a bunch of lines, the Bx40/42, Bx22, Bx36, Bx9....the only difference is that it's connecting with the Bx12. Not really that much easier, especially with the Bx12 being a literal hot mess of a route.

2. Lol...not that many people will travel to/from Queens to/from The Bronx or Manhattan and sit for 1hr+ on the Q44(including the driver change at Flushing) just to save a couple of bucks. Definitely not worth it. It's a literal waste of time.

3. Not really....the Q44 on the weekend, especially when there's roadwork and such is a real pain in the ass. The same goes for the Q50(but the Q50 is far more bearable than the Q44).

4. Yeah.....about that Q10 extension, heard that caught the axe. A LOT of people on both ends hated the idea and rightfully so, that was one of their worst ideas.

As for the Q44 as a whole, I'm actually of the belief that the Q44 shouldn't even go past Parkchester. Parkchester as a whole screws that line up bad when there's traffic. Yes, the Q44 does get decent passenger traffic at The Bronx Zoo, but that route between Parkchester and West Farms has done that route no favors, even with the SBS conversion.

Once that Q44 goes to Fordham, I'm never taking that to The Bronx. I'm certain that I can take the Subway to GCT for Metro-North or take LIRR to MNRR and get to Fordham faster than a number of Q44s.

Edited by Cait Sith

22 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

I did not say "not many transfers", I said even though not many people transfer (and no, that is not the same thing).... I mean, the post is right here (for anyone else reading this)...

This is why context is important..... I said that to you because apparently you didn't understand the point of running the BL-6 to the subway... So it was a comparison made to try to get you to understand the basic point... I'm not bastardizing the BL-40 (or the BL-1) by doing that.... Lol... Your problem in that discussion is that you simply didn't agree with running the BL-6 to the subway (which is your prerogative) - and here you are now weeks later trying to claim that I'm somehow bastardizing those routes in question, because I said in this discussion that you're bastardizing the Q44 (and Fordham) by comparing that to a JFK - Bronx route..... Work on your comparisons, man.....

The fact of the matter is that I still never pitted one corridor against the other to conclude that I'd individually have the BL-6 & the BL-40 serve the subway....

Then why continue to try to find a way, if you don't think a route of sorts shouldn't exist?

Lol “not many transfers” is basically the same thing but I didn’t include people or even though I meant the same thing but said something different. I didn’t like the W6 to replace the W1 for many reasons. 

Lol Q44 comparison was for you to understand that a route going through a lot places isn’t that bad so you just proved that I had no intention of putting those to routes against each other and had no purpose of bastardizing the Q44. 

I’m connecting the Bronx to JFK because in order to have a cheap ride there you have to take a subway to subway to get to a bus just to get on the air train for free so imagine having three seated ride just to get on the air train for free I obviously am not in for something that stupid. That’s why I’m proposing a limited stops variant of the Q44 that will start at Parkschester to take people there.

16 minutes ago, 40 to 241st said:

Lol “not many transfers” is basically the same thing but I didn’t include people or even though I meant the same thing but said something different. I didn’t like the W6 to replace the W1 for many reasons. 

Lol Q44 comparison was for you to understand that a route going through a lot places isn’t that bad so you just proved that I had no intention of putting those to routes against each other and had no purpose of bastardizing the Q44. 

I’m connecting the Bronx to JFK because in order to have a cheap ride there you have to take a subway to subway to get to a bus just to get on the air train for free so imagine having three seated ride just to get on the air train for free I obviously am not in for something that stupid. That’s why I’m proposing a limited stops variant of the Q44 that will start at Parkschester to take people there.

FYI, if you're posting on mobile, don't mash the reply button, you posted the same thing 10 times by accident.

23 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

I did not say "not many transfers", I said even though not many people transfer (and no, that is not the same thing).... I mean, the post is right here (for anyone else reading this)...

This is why context is important..... I said that to you because apparently you didn't understand the point of running the BL-6 to the subway... So it was a comparison made to try to get you to understand the basic point... I'm not bastardizing the BL-40 (or the BL-1) by doing that.... Lol... Your problem in that discussion is that you simply didn't agree with running the BL-6 to the subway (which is your prerogative) - and here you are now weeks later trying to claim that I'm somehow bastardizing those routes in question, because I said in this discussion that you're bastardizing the Q44 (and Fordham) by comparing that to a JFK - Bronx route..... Work on your comparisons, man.....

The fact of the matter is that I still never pitted one corridor against the other to conclude that I'd individually have the BL-6 & the BL-40 serve the subway....

Then why continue to try to find a way, if you don't think a route of sorts shouldn't exist?

I’m connecting the Bronx to JFK because in order to have a cheap ride there you have to take a subway to subway to get to a bus just to get on the air train for free so imagine having three seated ride just to get on the air train for free. That’s why I’m proposing a limited stops variant of the Q44 that will start at Parkschester to take people there.

Edited by 40 to 241st

4 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

FYI, if you're posting on mobile, don't mash the reply button, you posted the same thing 10 times by accident.

Thank you for letting me know I don’t usually post on mobile so I’m having issues where I’m on vacation right now has bad Wi-Fi so I had a little hard time posting 

1 hour ago, 40 to 241st said:

Lol “not many transfers” is basically the same thing but I didn’t include people or even though I meant the same thing but said something different....

It is not basically the same thing..... "Not many transfers" is a reference to the number of transfers people are making....

I proved nothing of the sort & I'm not the one that needs understanding here; you're the one on here inquiring about a JFK-Bronx route..... Furthermore, it is up to you to prove that a JFK - Bronx route "isn't that bad"; simply using the Q44 proposal to Fordham as a comparison does no such thing.... Comparing an already established, successful route like the Q44 against a route you can't even establish parameters for, most certainly bastardizes the Q44....

Exactly.... So you DO believe a JFK - Bronx route should exist.... Lol...... Talking about "Just because I am trying to find a way for a Bronx to JFK connection never meant I want routes that don’t exist to exist because that route doesn’t exist"... You knew full well that that wasn't a general statement & was specifically referring to a JFK-Bronx route as the non-existent route in question....

....and I find it real funny that you're now on here professing that this JFK-Bronx proposal of yours would start at Parkchester, when you yourself claimed that having the current Q44 end at Parkchester was very stupid... The thing about all this is that you are underestimating the distance b/w Jamaica & JFK... You have whole local routes that currently run b/w Jamaica & JFK, but yet you want to try to get me to understand that a route going through a lot of places isn't that bad, to try to justify a JFK-Bronx route....

21 hours ago, JAzumah said:

From a regulatory perspective, it is not simple to do for a private carrier. They would have to use an override of some sort (state, federal) and if the judge chooses not to read her paperwork, then you could have to deal with some headaches that you don't need.

The right private sector platform is a Sprinter.

The right public sector platform is an MCI operating as a regional express with a premium fare ($7) and connecting key hubs to the Lefferts Boulevard AirTrain Station every 30-60 minutes making the following stops:
- Lefferts Blvd AirTrain Station
- Flushing Main Street Station
- 149 Street Hub
- Fordham

By the way, this would also work really well for airport workers. 

You could fund this as part of the congestion pricing mitigation package.

Oh, I'm not claiming (or implicating) feasibility for a private carrier at all, my sentiment is that the MTA shouldn't go anywhere near concocting a JFK-Bronx route....

3 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

On paper, it sounds good, but, I'm heavily skeptical on how this extension would really fair out...

Although....

1. Getting to/from the West Bronx was already easy from the Q44 since it already connects with a bunch of lines, the Bx40/42, Bx22, Bx36, Bx9....the only difference is that it's connecting with the Bx12. Not really that much easier, especially with the Bx12 being a literal hot mess of a route.

2. Lol...not that many people will travel to/from Queens to/from The Bronx or Manhattan and sit for 1hr+ on the Q44(including the driver change at Flushing) just to save a couple of bucks. Definitely not worth it. It's a literal waste of time.

3. Not really....the Q44 on the weekend, especially when there's roadwork and such is a real pain in the ass. The same goes for the Q50(but the Q50 is far more bearable than the Q44).

4. Yeah.....about that Q10 extension, heard that caught the axe. A LOT of people on both ends hated the idea and rightfully so, that was one of their worst ideas.

As for the Q44 as a whole, I'm actually of the belief that the Q44 shouldn't even go past Parkchester. Parkchester as a whole screws that line up bad when there's traffic. Yes, the Q44 does get decent passenger traffic at The Bronx Zoo, but that route between Parkchester and West Farms has done that route no favors, even with the SBS conversion.

Once that Q44 goes to Fordham, I'm never taking that to The Bronx. I'm certain that I can take the Subway to GCT for Metro-North or take LIRR to MNRR and get to Fordham faster than a number of Q44s.

When you say the Bx12 is a hot mess of a route, what are you referring to? How the route is ran (the logistics of it)? the masses that bombard it? The physical routing itself? Some combination of these? Or something not mentioned here?

Other than that, yeah, I don't get caught up with what looks good on paper... We have to consider how routes already perform, before we start talking about appending a significant addition like that to an already heavily utilized route & lauding it.... I see this whole Q44 to Fordham thing as not much more than a cost saving measure.... It's easier to try to cram everyone onto less buses, than it is to build a cohesive network & have adequate service provided across multiple routes....

The hypocrisy of it all (MTA's end), is that we're even sitting here talking about a Q44 to Fordham, when they extended the M5 from Houston st. to South Ferry (to do away with the old M6) - to ultimately split that rendition of the M5 into today's M5 & M55.... Now why exactly did they do that :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Edited by B35 via Church

34 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

It is not basically the same thing..... "Not many transfers" is a reference to the number of transfers people are making....

I proved nothing of the sort & I'm not the one that needs understanding here; you're the one on here inquiring about a JFK-Bronx route..... Furthermore, it is up to you to prove that a JFK - Bronx route "isn't that bad"; simply using the Q44 proposal to Fordham as a comparison does no such thing.... Comparing an already established, successful route like the Q44 against a route you can't even establish parameters for, most certainly bastardizes the Q44....

Exactly.... So you DO believe a JFK - Bronx route should exist.... Lol...... Talking about "Just because I am trying to find a way for a Bronx to JFK connection never meant I want routes that don’t exist to exist because that route doesn’t exist"... You knew full well that that wasn't a general statement & was specifically referring to a JFK-Bronx route as the non-existent route in question....

....and I find it real funny that you're now on here professing that this JFK-Bronx proposal of yours would start at Parkchester, when you yourself claimed that having the current Q44 end at Parkchester was very stupid... The thing about all this is that you are underestimating the distance b/w Jamaica & JFK... You have whole local routes that currently run b/w Jamaica & JFK, but yet you want to try to get me to understand that a route going through a lot of places isn't that bad, to try to justify a JFK-Bronx route....

Like I said not many people transfer is as in number of people transferring lol.  The same thing as not many transfers.

lol and your here  comparing the w40 select trips to the subway which people want more trips of to the w6 demand at the subway.  That bastardizes the W40 

I said a limited variant of the Q44 not the whole route  that never meant I would not keep the Q44 proposed.

I thought that where the Q44 stops in Jamaica there’s no bus to JFK.

9 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

When you say the Bx12 is a hot mess of a route, what are you referring to? How the route is ran (the logistics of it)? the masses that bombard it? The physical routing itself? Some combination of these? Or something not mentioned here?

Other than that, yeah, I don't get caught up with what looks good on paper... We have to consider how routes already perform, before we start talking about appending a significant addition like that to an already heavily utilized route & lauding it.... I see this whole Q44 to Fordham thing as not much more than a cost saving measure.... It's easier to try to cram everyone onto less buses, than it is to build a cohesive network & have adequate service provided across multiple routes....

The hypocrisy of it all (MTA's end), is that we're even sitting here talking about a Q44 to Fordham, when they extended the M5 from Houston st. to South Ferry (to do away with the old M6) - to ultimately split that rendition of the M5 into today's M5 & M55.... Now why exactly did they do that :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Basically, how it currently performs and all of the crap the line has to deal with in terms of traffic, bunching, ect. IMO the Bx12 is one of the worst managed routes in The Bronx.

13 hours ago, 40 to 241st said:

Like I said not many people transfer is as in number of people transferring lol.  The same thing as not many transfers.

lol and your here  comparing the w40 select trips to the subway which people want more trips of to the w6 demand at the subway.  That bastardizes the W40 

Nope, that's not what you said in that original post.... Again, in your recollection of what I supposedly told you, you said "if the Bl-40 can replace the Bl-42 with not many transfers you can do so w/ the Bl-6 and Bl-1 even if there’s not many transfers"... You were flat out wrong with that mischaracterization of what I said to you in that discussion in question.... Now you're putting on this front like you originally said not many people transfer- and on top of it, trying to explain to me what a re-worded version of the sentiment I originally conveyed means :lol: .... Nice try at revisionist history though....

I'm not "here" comparing anything Westchester related..... That would be you, that originally brought up Bee-Line routes in this discussion, including the BL-40.... That reach (which you're still clinging on to {and on top of it, are now adding lies to, in this latest reply of yours to me} to try to save face) was an attempt at fishing for what I supposedly bastardized, to take the heat off of you & the fact that you compared the [Q44 to Fordham] to a [JFK-Bronx route].... Nobody told you to use that as a comparison & no matter how many times you bring up Bee Line routes in this discussion, you're not going to deflect away from that poor comparison that bastardizes the Q44....

14 hours ago, 40 to 241st said:

I said a limited variant of the Q44 not the whole route  that never meant I would not keep the Q44 proposed.

Don't know what this is supposed to mean, but alright....

14 hours ago, 40 to 241st said:

I thought that where the Q44 stops in Jamaica there’s no bus to JFK.

Don't know what the first part of this statement is in reference to.... Second part of this statement is false.

5 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Basically, how it currently performs and all of the crap the line has to deal with in terms of traffic, bunching, ect.

IMO the Bx12 is one of the worst managed routes in The Bronx.

Hell, I couldn't tell you about how logistically lackadaisical the Bx12 is, because it's a route I generally refrain from taking much anymore.... Quite honestly, I'd say their hands are tied with trying to effectively manage that route efficiently enough....

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Nope, that's not what you said in that original post.... Again, in your recollection of what I supposedly told you, you said "if the Bl-40 can replace the Bl-42 with not many transfers you can do so w/ the Bl-6 and Bl-1 even if there’s not many transfers"... You were flat out wrong with that mischaracterization of what I said to you in that discussion in question.... Now you're putting on this front like you originally said not many people transfer- and on top of it, trying to explain to me what a re-worded version of the sentiment I originally conveyed means :lol: .... Nice try at revisionist history though....

I'm not "here" comparing anything Westchester related..... That would be you, that originally brought up Bee-Line routes in this discussion, including the BL-40.... That reach (which you're still clinging on to {and on top of it, are now adding lies to, in this latest reply of yours to me} to try to save face) was an attempt at fishing for what I supposedly bastardized, to take the heat off of you & the fact that you compared the [Q44 to Fordham] to a [JFK-Bronx route].... Nobody told you to use that as a comparison & no matter how many times you bring up Bee Line routes in this discussion, you're not going to deflect away from that poor comparison that bastardizes the Q44....

Don't know what this is supposed to mean, but alright....

I meant like I said as in there both the same thing. I was not trying to change anything that I said. So no I know when I’m purposely adding words. I purposely made what I said you told me shorter. So when I said not many people transfer I was referring to what you said and I said the same thing as not many transfers. So then your implying that I said that you said not many transfers lol 😂.  Read f**king carefully and stop trying to make stuff up. 

Yes while you were not comparing bee-line routes in this thread. You know for a blatant fact what I meant and you come here telling me I’m lying know your changing what I meant to make me look bad lol  😂. You told me I bastardized the Q44 so I was curious how can you complain about that when you did exactly that with those bee-line routes. I already admitted that I wasn’t trying to bastardize the Q44 and what I meant. At this point now your trying to find ways of guilt tripping me when I should be focused on my vacation. 

That means while I’m keeping the Q44sbs as proposed and then I’ll make or think about proposing a limited stops variant of the route to JFK airport from Parkschester.

On 7/11/2023 at 1:44 AM, Cait Sith said:

If that’s the case, I am disappointed. Other than the proposed 73rd Av route, the combined Q10/64 was the only other change near me that I was looking forward to, since I preferred what the Q25 and Q65 had from the original draft.

7 minutes ago, jaf0519 said:

If that’s the case, I am disappointed. Other than the proposed 73rd Av route, the combined Q10/64 was the only other change near me that I was looking forward to, since I preferred what the Q25 and Q65 had from the original draft.

That Q10 extension would have screwed over both the Q10 and Q64 ridership base. A lot of people cited both crowding and reliability concerns with the route. The Q10 is one of the top highest ridership routes in MTA Bus. Sending it up to Electchester would have done more harm than good to be honest.

4 hours ago, 40 to 241st said:

I meant like I said as in there both the same thing. I was not trying to change anything that I said. So no I know when I’m purposely adding words. I purposely made what I said you told me shorter. So when I said not many people transfer I was referring to what you said and I said the same thing as not many transfers. So then your implying that I said that you said not many transfers lol 😂.  Read f**king carefully and stop trying to make stuff up. 

Yes while you were not comparing bee-line routes in this thread. You know for a blatant fact what I meant and you come here telling me I’m lying know your changing what I meant to make me look bad lol  😂. You told me I bastardized the Q44 so I was curious how can you complain about that when you did exactly that with those bee-line routes. I already admitted that I wasn’t trying to bastardize the Q44 and what I meant. At this point now your trying to find ways of guilt tripping me when I should be focused on my vacation. 

That means while I’m keeping the Q44sbs as proposed and then I’ll make or think about proposing a limited stops variant of the route to JFK airport from Parkschester

It aint a matter of me reading carefully, it's a matter of you being more a] concise & b] responsible with what you post on here... Nobody cares about your excuse of "adding words" when you're being irresponsible with what you're saying (yes, to the point of lying) on here..... I didn't change anything you said, you're projecting with that.... There's literally nothing for me to want to have to lie on you about - You just don't like the fact that I've categorized (one of) your comparisons in this discussion as a bastardization... Your example of me bastardizing what you're claiming I did with those Bee Line routes is straight reaching..... Hell, literally every single one of your comparisons in this discussion were just, bad.... What you call guilt tripping, I call accountability & you've been intentionally selective when it comes to that....

All this babble & distortion & deflection, and you have yet to prove how a JFK - Bronx route "isn't that bad"... Look at how many posts it took for you to even bring up parameters of a JFK-Bronx route... Lol.....

Edited by B35 via Church

4 hours ago, jaf0519 said:

Nahh it’s good that the 2 routes were kept split. I live by the Q64 and I would like for my route to stay short and reliable. The Q64 can use some more artics during rush hour but other than that it’s fine the way it is. Over the years I always wondered how an extension via 73rd Ave to 188th street would do. The MTA proposed putting a new route on 73rd west past 188th street but maybe the Q64 can be extended. 

Now if the MTA proposed this combo route to take over for the Q10 and Q64 late night/ overnight hours I honestly wouldn’t have a problem with it. I do believe the MTA should have somewhat of a night network that improves connectivity during the late night hours. Not all portions of every route need to be served but there are some gaps that exist currently that should be closed.  

On 7/11/2023 at 1:44 AM, Cait Sith said:

Thank God. As someone who takes the Q10 home and to the (E)(F), I immediately saw a red flag over the proposed combination with the Q64. Like, how the hell are they going to send an Artic bus over to Queens Blvd, where any possible double parking, construction (which not be the case, but still), and the other lane reserved for bikes (which, not much of a problem since vehicles already use it to bypass double parked vehicles, but did Queens Blvd really need it?) causes delays?

8 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

That Q10 extension would have screwed over both the Q10 and Q64 ridership base. A lot of people cited both crowding and reliability concerns with the route. The Q10 is one of the top highest ridership routes in MTA Bus. Sending it up to Electchester would have done more harm than good to be honest.

Yep. Bus lines on Queens Blvd and Kew Gardens Rd already get big, the latter having the issue of the line extending around the block. Extending the route to Electchester would've caused longer boarding times at Union Tpke.

11 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

It aint a matter of me reading carefully, it's a matter of you being more a] concise & b] responsible with what you post on here... Nobody cares about your excuse of "adding words" when you're being irresponsible with what you're saying (yes, to the point of lying) on here..... I didn't change anything you said, you're projecting with that.... There's literally nothing for me to want to have to lie on you about - You just don't like the fact that I've categorized (one of) your comparisons in this discussion as a bastardization... Your example of me bastardizing what you're claiming I did with those Bee Line routes is straight reaching..... Hell, literally every single one of your comparisons in this discussion were just, bad.... What you call guilt tripping, I call accountability & you've been intentionally selective when it comes to that....

All this babble & distortion & deflection, and you have yet to prove how a JFK - Bronx route "isn't that bad"... Look at how many posts it took for you to even bring up parameters of a JFK-Bronx route... Lol.....

I honestly have no reason to lie about what so ever I already explained that I wasn’t trying to lie about you and how I “shortened” not “adding words” to what you said and explained how there the same thing so there was no “lying”.   

I couldn’t care about  you calling my comparison a bastardization. Me comparing my bastardization to yours is actually a good one this time every time  you tried to find a way around it notice how I could easily counter it by explaining how mine was similar lol.

I already explained to you why I want a Bronx to JFK route, how I would try to propose it, and gave an explanation on how isn’t that bad lol. I said that a route going through a lot of  somewhere isn’t that bad. 

12 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

I actually agree that trying to replace the 64 with the 10 would have been straight up disastrous in the long run. I'm just not really sure what exactly they were thinking regarding that specific proposal.

45 minutes ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

I actually agree that trying to replace the 64 with the 10 would have been straight up disastrous in the long run. I'm just not really sure what exactly they were thinking regarding that specific proposal.

Cost-savings, that's what the whole idea was about. It would allow them to run less buses on the entire line overall.

Edited by Cait Sith