13 Shot at 36 Street Station in Brooklyn; Undetonated Device Also Found

CenSin

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/12/nyregion/brooklyn-subway-shooting.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Live Updates: Several People Are Shot at Brooklyn Subway Station

The police were seeking a man in a worker’s vest and gas mask after early reports said 13 people were injured, several of them shot, during the morning rush.

Multiple people were shot on the platform of a Brooklyn subway station during the Tuesday morning rush, officials said, a violent episode that heightened simmering fears about public safety as New York City struggles to recover from the pandemic.

The Fire Department said that 13 people were injured, several by gunfire. A department spokesman did not provide further details on the victims’ injuries and conditions.

The police were seeking a man with a gas mask and an orange construction vest, a law enforcement official said.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/multiple-people-shot-in-brooklyn-subway-sources/3641743/?amp

5 Shot in Brooklyn Subway by Man in Gas Mask Who Threw Smoke Grenade: Sources

A sweeping law enforcement investigation is underway after the shooting at the 36th Street station in Sunset Park; people are being asked to avoid the area

The FDNY says it responded to a call for smoke at the station and found multiple gunshot victims. No details were immediately available on the undetonated devices.

Broadway and 6 Avenue service screwed (except (M)).

Undetonated device also found at 36 Street.

Multiple undetonated devices found?? Makes you wonder what's lurking around this damnn system. 

And the article said green smoke could be seen as the train approached the platform? What subway model what it? R46? R68? You know the ones that you're TRAPPED in...this is why I avoid them. Too much crazy shit going on down there to not have no type of escape route. 

Praying for everyone involved in this bullshit. 

So what it looks like is the perp got on at 59th Street on an (N) express train, did his damage in the rearmost car, the train pulls into 36th Street where people spill out and flee onto an (R) train also pulling in across the platform, and now we have crime scenes at 36th Street and maybe 25th Street as well.

Just now, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

And the article said green smoke could be seen as the train approached the platform? What subway model what it? R46? R68? You know the ones that you're TRAPPED in...this is why I avoid them. Too much crazy shit going on down there to not have no type of escape route.

Rear car of an R46.

Disgraceful! Whoever was behind this needs to be caught and locked up behind bars. I don't care what the motive behind this was. The (MTA) and city already have enough issues as is and now another thorn on everyone's back.

I pray that no one lost their lives but if so, my condolences goes to them and their families.

Heard about this from one of my classmates who commuted out of Brooklyn today. I was also commuting when this incident occurred. This is extremely scary news to hear.

I really hope everyone gets home safe today.

7 minutes ago, YankeesPwnMets said:

Hate to speculate so early but this has all the markings of a preplanned attack

It does. It appears that they tried to detonate smoke grenades before starting their attack. Unbelievable...

As bad as this was, imagine had this been at 42 street or Jackson Hts Roosevelt or Queens Boro Plaza. Or imagine this madman started this rampage in Manhattan. I feel like 36 Street is a start, I would check all over the system for all kind of explosives and any other traps set up. Especially It’s sad you can’t even ride the system with out fear because literally anything that could happen. I also would like to know if that (R) train move was smart?

if I knew there was a gunman shooting up a station isn’t better to keep a fairly packed train bypassing the station, than to risk the same gun man come in and shoot up another train? Like are there rules in place when a live shooter is at a station. Are trains supposed to stop anyway.

Edited by Q23 via 108

Just now, MHV9218 said:

Always thought it was dumb as hell to have the end doors locked on cars. There used to be a switch to unlock them but the brain trust at the TA removed that too. Now, people get trapped with a madman while he shoots the car up.

They are going to really come down on (MTA) over this. These 75 foot subway cars are giant safety hazards regardless of any situation. They don't even have an emergency intercom system like the tech trains. But This is some serious shit and with all the things i've been seeing between idiots going into to tunnels vandalizing shit and other non sense. I knew something like this would happen. Maybe this is a wake up call to keep our city safe and our subways safe by ramping up Police. 

I'm currently listening to the scanner and it seems that they've triangulated the suspect to a homeless shelter on 49th Street between 2nd and 3rd.

If this does turn out to be a case of a homeless individual conducting a violent attack, the narrative about subway safety is going to get even more intense.

Update: The scanner seems to have gone quiet about that. False lead, perhaps...?

Update 2: Scanner is now saying that man who fit the description ran into the Carroll Street on the (F)(G). Goes to show how fluid the situation is.

Edited by 67thAve
Fluid situation

3 minutes ago, 67thAve said:

I'm currently listening to the scanner and it seems that they've triangulated the suspect to a homeless shelter on 49th Street between 2nd and 3rd.

If this does turn out to be a case of a homeless individual conducting a violent attack, the narrative about subway safety is going to get even more intense.

I heard last night on the news something about the MTA were employing more security at stations as well and to combat homeless individuals on the subway I believe.

Edited by DCTransitFilms

1 minute ago, DCTransitFilms said:

I heard last night on the news something about the MTA were employing more security at stations as well and to combat homeless individuals on the subway I believe.

Good. its unfortunate the situation that the homeless are in, but the subways are not the place for them to stay. 

Is it just me or am I the only one who gets annoyed seeing homeless in the subway?

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

There used to be a switch to unlock them but the brain trust at the TA removed that too. Now, people get trapped with a madman while he shoots the car up.

Wait there is no way to even remotely unlock these car doors now? 

Isn't that a gigantic fire hazard? 

6 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

75 footers for a good a very long time have always had the end doors locked. Only trains with end doors unlocked are pretty much NTT's.

10 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

75 footers for a good a very long time have always had the end doors locked. Only trains with end doors unlocked are pretty much NTT's.

I always thought that maybe the T/O or conductor will have a switch that remotely unlocks all the doors in an emergency

The thing is customers can't really report an emergency because these cars don't have a public intercom system

Edited by Mtatransit

36 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

The C/R still has a remote switch, but given there's no emergency intercom, useless in a situation like this. The cars were delivered with a defeat switch at each end so that passengers could unlock in an emergency, but those were removed (as were the fire extinguishers).

28 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

Yeah, but removing the emergency switch was a really stupid idea.

5 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

The C/R still has a remote switch, but given there's no emergency intercom, useless in a situation like this. The cars were delivered with a defeat switch at each end so that passengers could unlock in an emergency, but those were removed (as were the fire extinguishers).

Yeah, but removing the emergency switch was a really stupid idea.

They do have an emergency cord on all cars but it isn't enough. There was a video shown of passengers wanting to leave the train while the madman trying to open in between the cars while moving. I'm wondering if the MTA are going to place cameras on all cars with the T/O and C/R cab for surveillance. 

1 hour ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

I wonder how long his rap sheet was….BAIL REFORM

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

Yep, If this is the case. This will backfire real hard on the governor and anyone who supports it.

hell of a day for the governor first this and under the cover of the incident her LT governor got arrested