13 Shot at 36 Street Station in Brooklyn; Undetonated Device Also Found

CenSin

3 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

They are going to really come down on (MTA) over this. These 75 foot subway cars are giant safety hazards regardless of any situation. They don't even have an emergency intercom system like the tech trains. But This is some serious shit and with all the things i've been seeing between idiots going into to tunnels vandalizing shit and other non sense. I knew something like this would happen. Maybe this is a wake up call to keep our city safe and our subways safe by ramping up Police. 

One of the MTA employees on here, I forget who, posted that actually, having the locked car for a mass shooting is considered a safety measure because if the doors stay closed, the shooter can be isolated in the car and only kill the people in the car instead of everyone else on the platform. I know that sounds horribly cold, but in terms of numbers of lives it could save, it is considered a positive.

I wonder if the C/R in today's shooting followed protocol or not in terms of opening the doors at the station, closing, having the T/O move the train, etc. Not looking to blame or point fingers or anything, I'm just genuinely curious about the procedures in these horrible situations.

Edited by QM1to6Ave

2 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

One of the MTA employees on here, I forget who, posted that actually, having the locked car for a mass shooting is considered a safety measure because if the doors stay closed, the shooter can be isolated in the car and only kill the people in the car instead of everyone else on the platform. I know that sounds horribly cold, but in terms of numbers of lives it could save, it is considered a positive.

Kinda inconsistent if they only do it to some trains. I know which trains I won’t be taking to work now. Getting  to the station earlier for the (F)<F> even if it takes a bit longer to detour around my destination.

3 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I wonder if the C/R in today's shooting followed protocol or not in terms of opening the doors at the station, closing, having the T/O move the train, etc. Not looking to blame or point fingers or anything, I'm just genuinely curious about the procedures in these horrible situations.

I doubt the C/R had any idea what was going on. Those shitty tin cans don't have intercoms and this was supposedly the last car of the train. 

44 minutes ago, YankeesPwnMets said:

I doubt the C/R had any idea what was going on. Those shitty tin cans don't have intercoms and this was supposedly the last car of the train. 

While I can't 100% confirm based on some of the videos I saw, I believe it was in one of the middle cars and not the last one since there we're POV from what appeared to on the car in front and behind. Based on the videos I saw it seems as passengers ran towards the front of the affected car and the "suspected shooter" (Since it not 100% clear if that video showed what was the shooter) tried to barge into the car behind. 

6 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

The C/R still has a remote switch, but given there's no emergency intercom, useless in a situation like this. The cars were delivered with a defeat switch at each end so that passengers could unlock in an emergency, but those were removed (as were the fire extinguishers).

Yeah, but removing the emergency switch was a really stupid idea.

All cabs have the switch, and there's one on the outside of each door (but it's up. I heard they managed to wrestle one open from the inside, but then couldn't get the next one to open, but the switch was right up, to the left).

I know I used to see a switch on the inside on the 44's that people used, but that looked like it was something that was supposed to have a screwed on metal plate over it, and it looks like they figured out they could remove it and access the switch. 

2 hours ago, Eric B said:

All cabs have the switch, and there's one on the outside of each door (but it's up. I heard they managed to wrestle one open from the inside, but then couldn't get the next one to open, but the switch was right up, to the left).

I know I used to see a switch on the inside on the 44's that people used, but that looked like it was something that was supposed to have a screwed on metal plate over it, and it looks like they figured out they could remove it and access the switch. 

I gotta pay attention to this tomorrow and see what’s accessible…

4 hours ago, IAlam said:

While I can't 100% confirm based on some of the videos I saw, I believe it was in one of the middle cars and not the last one since there we're POV from what appeared to on the car in front and behind. Based on the videos I saw it seems as passengers ran towards the front of the affected car and the "suspected shooter" (Since it not 100% clear if that video showed what was the shooter) tried to barge into the car behind. 

Actually, you're right. 5551 is a B car. NYT is saying this was the second car of the northbound train.,

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/04/12/nyregion/brooklyn-train-station-shooting-maps.html

13 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

Yeah this 90% planned but not sure if it a hate related crime or along another motive. Hopefully no one dies from this incident. The gunman is still on the loose rn.

I agree, all this was way too coordinated to be a random incident, but I do wonder what his motives are/were. Why come to New York from Philadelphia just to start shit here? Damn idiot. 

I'm not going to post it since the suspects words doesn't deserve more attention but he has a YouTube channel preaching a lot of hypocritical stuff, a genuinely disturbed individual. What concerns me more is that he has a following of over 1k subs.

Edited by IAlam

2 hours ago, IAlam said:

I'm not going to post it since the suspects words doesn't deserve more attention but he has a YouTube channel preaching a lot of hypocritical stuff, a genuinely disturbed individual. What concerns me more is that he has a following of over 1k subs.

That would concern me as well:

Given the pics I saw showed a number of Asians as victims AND given the (N) goes through Brooklyn's Chinatown as I remember, I wonder if this will prove to be a hate crime given Asians have been targeted for such way more in the last two years.  There are many who have had their and/or their families lives adversely affected by COVID (either directly or because of shutdowns that cost people jobs and so forth) to where they have taken it out on Asians who have nothing to do with how COVID first spread just because the virus originated in China as some still call it "The China Virus" because it originated there.  That's why I think this may prove to be a hate crime.

1 hour ago, Wallyhorse said:

Given the pics I saw showed a number of Asians as victims AND given the (N) goes through Brooklyn's Chinatown as I remember, I wonder if this will prove to be a hate crime given Asians have been targeted for such way more in the last two years.  There are many who have had their and/or their families lives adversely affected by COVID (either directly or because of shutdowns that cost people jobs and so forth) to where they have taken it out on Asians who have nothing to do with how COVID first spread just because the virus originated in China as some still call it "The China Virus" because it originated there.  That's why I think this may prove to be a hate crime.

I think we should wait until any new details come out before coming to that conclusion. Dude starting shooting after he gassed the car up. It could have been a number of reasons (or just because too), but under those sequence of events, it doesn't really prove that it was the case. Sure there were a number of Asian victims, but correlation does not imply causation.  

7 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

Please do me a favor

Shut the f**k up

What does that have to do with anything. The guy is a nutjob that just randomly started shooting people. Stop trying to spread propaganda for the sake of it.

14 hours ago, IAlam said:

7 hours ago, CenSin said:

You decide if it was racist, or misogynist, or just plain unhinged: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCtl9pjnppooRbj_YssCKxsA

That, there, is his YouTube channel. He has seemingly had thoughts for a long time about killing people.

His YouTube channel has just been terminated.

7 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They say he called a tip on himself. Does he still collect an award? 😂