63rd Street Tunnel Shutdown Begins Last week in August.

RTOMan

7 hours ago, Comrade96 said:

I actually have an experience to add to reasons why. Currently the tracks that take the G from court sq to queens plaza arent normally used by trains, and for some odd reason are controlled by RCC. I was on an F that had to be rerouted via crosstown due to signal problems at jay. It took us at least 10 minutes to go from court sq to queens plaza, and some more time to leave queens plaza for a diverging lineup, thats just not sustainable

Your were probably going through there when RCC takes control of the interlocking from Queensboro Master.

when they have control over the complex from Court Square up to the 63rd street connection, it can get dicey when a train needs to move to or from Crosstown.

when RCC takes over, that move is an absolute headache.

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/30/2023 at 4:18 PM, Wallyhorse said:

And this is all why I would have worked to return the northbound side of Canal Street and Bowery on the (J) to active service and worked on making the (J) stop at Canal back into the terminal it once was with the idea of moving the <R> to Nassau and having the <R> run 95th-Canal on the (J) while the (J) with limited exceptions terminated at Chambers coming southbound (I noted how I would do this in numerous prior posts elsewhere and pols in Brooklyn were looking for the (R) to be split anyway).  Eliminating the (R) from Broadway for this, I would then streamline Broadway this way:

(N) and (Q) remain as they are now with likely additional (N) service to/from Astoria.

(W) becomes the full-time (19/7) local running from Whitehall to 71st-Continental (replacing the <R>) with overflow trains that can't terminate at Whitehall ending southbound and beginning northbound on the tunnel level of Canal Street. 

If necessary, a new "Yellow (V)" would operate (maximum 5 TPH) between Bay Parkway on the (D) and Astoria to supplement the (W) in lower Manhattan that would be instead of having extra (N) service to Astoria.

This would IMO streamline Broadway and allow for extra trains from the Broadway line to operate via the tunnel to 71-Continental. 

1. This isn’t the WWE. 
2. You’re dealing with today’s riders. They want a good alternative routes so that way, they won’t have to deal with no shows, delays and longer waits while the work has to be done. Buses will also provide service to service area of needs so that work can be done and even in the overnight hours for you late nighters (like me) can get to your destination safely and in 1 piece. 
3. CBTC is now the way to go. Old school signaling is not gonna work with the (NYCT) DOS wanting to increase traffic flow so that way trains are more frequent and more faster in CBTC operated tracks than it is in regular track operation (except MOW🟡

This is why the 63rd Street is in need of SOP. The (NYCT) doesn’t sit around, look and say: “We’re gonna leave this alone for a while”. They learned their lesson in the 70s when they 😞 equipment due to mishaps and accidents that became fatal. (Just ask about the 8/28/1991 Union Square Fatal Accident that 5 R62 cars were lost and 20 ppl lost their lives. That right there reduced all train speeds in old signaling trackage). 

so having 2 (R) lines isn’t gonna cut it in today’s 🌎 

Edited by FLX9304

3 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Your were probably going through there when RCC takes control of the interlocking from Queensboro Master.

when they have control over the complex from Court Square up to the 63rd street connection, it can get dicey when a train needs to move to or from Crosstown.

when RCC takes over, that move is an absolute headache.

hmmmm interesting, I'll keep that in mind

• 2 weeks later...

Not a good first day, multiple gaps in (R) service during the day of 15+ minutes, a loss of power at 57/6 in the morning, and as I write this an (M) is terminating at Queens Plaza due to a switch problem at 57/6

Update now some (M) are being sent to Jackson Heights Roosevelt Ave via QBL local and some (F) via crosstown 

Edited by RestrictOnTheHanger

16 hours ago, Comrade96 said:

I did some digging and there are at least 12 extra R runs for the AM shift, havent seen the PM supplement yet 

Also, some of these GO R jobs are crazy 

No GO extra Romeo Crews on the PMs just on the AMs...

Maybe they'll fill the C/R jobs this time they didn't do it Monday resulting in a lot of ABDs...

Someone got a DAN for that in the Crew Office im sure..

Edited by RTOMan

16 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Not a good first day, multiple gaps in (R) service during the day of 15+ minutes, a loss of power at 57/6 in the morning, and as I write this an (M) is terminating at Queens Plaza due to a switch problem at 57/6

Update now some (M) are being sent to Jackson Heights Roosevelt Ave via QBL local and some (F) via crosstown 

it was bananas indeed i got sent Crosstown on my last half.. Loads of fun..

On 8/19/2023 at 9:32 AM, FLX9304 said:

1. This isn’t the WWE. 
2. You’re dealing with today’s riders. They want a good alternative routes so that way, they won’t have to deal with no shows, delays and longer waits while the work has to be done. Buses will also provide service to service area of needs so that work can be done and even in the overnight hours for you late nighters (like me) can get to your destination safely and in 1 piece. 
3. CBTC is now the way to go. Old school signaling is not gonna work with the (NYCT) DOS wanting to increase traffic flow so that way trains are more frequent and more faster in CBTC operated tracks than it is in regular track operation (except MOW🟡

This is why the 63rd Street is in need of SOP. The (NYCT) doesn’t sit around, look and say: “We’re gonna leave this alone for a while”. They learned their lesson in the 70s when they 😞 equipment due to mishaps and accidents that became fatal. (Just ask about the 8/28/1991 Union Square Fatal Accident that 5 R62 cars were lost and 20 ppl lost their lives. That right there reduced all train speeds in old signaling trackage). 

so having 2 (R) lines isn’t gonna cut it in today’s 🌎 

Let the Dude foam and laugh and Scroll at him i showed a few Supts his posts regarding this they was str laughing at them..

Edited by RTOMan

On 8/19/2023 at 9:32 AM, FLX9304 said:

(Just ask about the 8/28/1991 Union Square Fatal Accident that 5 R62 cars were lost and 20 ppl lost their lives. That right there reduced all train speeds in old signaling trackage).

Make that five people bit the dust and one hundred and sixty one people ended up injured. You're right about how five R62's ended up scrapped and the train speed was reduced when diverging grade time signals were introduced on that part of 4 (Lexington) Avenue. The pocket track that was once there was ripped off and replaced with a simple crossover, among some other replacements that occurred north of 14 Street-Union Square which included support pillar replacement.

I'm almost certain that because of the drunk motorman, a grade timer of about twenty two miles per hour was installed north of Burnside Avenue on the Manhattan bound local track; forcing inbound Mosholu (4) trains to slow down a bit before regaining speed and entering Burnside Avenue.

On 8/28/2023 at 2:52 PM, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

So we got typical (R) service, and the (G) extension we suggested (out of concern for typical (R) service).  :lol:

Edited by N6 Limited

I went to 57th Street on the (M) yesterday. Half of the stop is closed off for track repairs. Trains depart every 5-10 minutes on the southbound track. The 57th Street-bound (M) trains had to wait at Rockefeller Center before it was clear to enter 57th Street on the southbound track after the (M) at 57th Street left that station and go into Rockefeller Center southbound.

9 hours ago, TheNewYorkElevated said:

I went to 57th Street on the (M) yesterday. Half of the stop is closed off for track repairs. Trains depart every 5-10 minutes on the southbound track. The 57th Street-bound (M) trains had to wait at Rockefeller Center before it was clear to enter 57th Street on the southbound track after the (M) at 57th Street left that station and go into Rockefeller Center southbound.

The (M) runs every 10 minutes. But the fact that all trains must only use one-pocket track at 57 St causes scattered delays on northbound (F) and (M) trains on 6 Av throughout the day.

7 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I won’t be surprised if elected officials start telling the (MTA) to extend the (G) in place of the (M), CBTC issues or not.

elected officials don't call all the shots, even if they do, it most likely wont happen. Theres too much youd need to do to.both G crews and lines for it to work, and by the time it does the GO would be close to over

On 8/30/2023 at 11:06 AM, N6 Limited said:

So we got typical (R) service, and the (G) extension we suggested (out of concern for typical (R) service).  :lol:

Well when there's a CONDUCTOR SHORTAGE these things happen..

They had Extra Jobs for extra R service..

Folks don't want to come to work so blame them TA had the jobs But not enough people...

Edited by RTOMan