63rd Street Tunnel Shutdown Begins Last week in August.

RTOMan

3 hours ago, Calvin said:

I don't know if the answer is given to the changes happening in August 28th, is the Shuttle running between Lexington Av-63 St up to 21st St-Queensbridge going to be out of Coney Island Yard or the R160s out of Jamaica Yard? 

R160  8 car Unit out of Jamaica Yd...

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

And this is all why I would have worked to return the northbound side of Canal Street and Bowery on the (J) to active service and worked on making the (J) stop at Canal back into the terminal it once was with the idea of moving the <R> to Nassau and having the <R> run 95th-Canal on the (J) while the (J) with limited exceptions terminated at Chambers coming southbound (I noted how I would do this in numerous prior posts elsewhere and pols in Brooklyn were looking for the (R) to be split anyway).  Eliminating the (R) from Broadway for this, I would then streamline Broadway this way:

(N) and (Q) remain as they are now with likely additional (N) service to/from Astoria.

(W) becomes the full-time (19/7) local running from Whitehall to 71st-Continental (replacing the <R>) with overflow trains that can't terminate at Whitehall ending southbound and beginning northbound on the tunnel level of Canal Street. 

If necessary, a new "Yellow (V)" would operate (maximum 5 TPH) between Bay Parkway on the (D) and Astoria to supplement the (W) in lower Manhattan that would be instead of having extra (N) service to Astoria.

This would IMO streamline Broadway and allow for extra trains from the Broadway line to operate via the tunnel to 71-Continental. 

I showed your Post to the Supt  today he had a good laugh...

Good thing you aren't in charge of these GOs..

7 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

I have been adapting to the GO's on queens blvd for over 20 plus years. I get that the CBTC has it's own issues but the majority of the time (on weekends) when the (R) is delayed, It's mainly because of the GO in Brooklyn. During the week It's not as bad because the (M) is running with the (R).  As long as those extra (R) trains turn around in Manhattan, it shouldn't be bad.

That's what i figured he is a weekend rider and he's all upset....

Oh well...

4 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

And this is all why I would have worked to return the northbound side of Canal Street and Bowery on the (J) to active service and worked on making the (J) stop at Canal back into the terminal it once was with the idea of moving the <R> to Nassau and having the <R> run 95th-Canal on the (J) while the (J) with limited exceptions terminated at Chambers coming southbound (I noted how I would do this in numerous prior posts elsewhere and pols in Brooklyn were looking for the (R) to be split anyway).  Eliminating the (R) from Broadway for this, I would then streamline Broadway this way:

(N) and (Q) remain as they are now with likely additional (N) service to/from Astoria.

(W) becomes the full-time (19/7) local running from Whitehall to 71st-Continental (replacing the <R>) with overflow trains that can't terminate at Whitehall ending southbound and beginning northbound on the tunnel level of Canal Street. 

If necessary, a new "Yellow (V)" would operate (maximum 5 TPH) between Bay Parkway on the (D) and Astoria to supplement the (W) in lower Manhattan that would be instead of having extra (N) service to Astoria.

This would IMO streamline Broadway and allow for extra trains from the Broadway line to operate via the tunnel to 71-Continental. 

You and these weird fantasies..maybe you should be apart of wrestling creatives..

Just now, NBTA said:

You and these weird fantasies..maybe you should be apart of wrestling creatives..

This all stemmed from pols in Brooklyn wanting the (R) split in two, making the (R) a much shorter route (on weekdays, nights and weekends I would extend this <R> to Metropolitan to absorb the night and weekend (M) shuttles) that in Brooklyn would not be subject to delays from elsewhere on the line.  This also would have been about keeping pols happy. 

4 hours ago, LGA Link N Train said:

Probably out of Jamaica Yard.

There was a post on SubChat mentioning the use of ENY sets from the (M). This would make the most sense as the (M) is running fewer trains however ultimately we'll see what happens.

Edit: Had this tab open for quite a while before posting and the above posts made it before I did. I did not intend to repeat already posted information.

Edited by 4P3607

Since the (M) is going to 57th, This will free up a good chunk of 8 car units which would probably go to the (J) / (Z) which would bump a chunk of R179s to the (C) to boot those R46s off the (C) if they planning on doing this from the end of august to early 2024.

On 7/30/2023 at 10:52 PM, 4P3607 said:

There was a post on SubChat mentioning the use of ENY sets from the (M). This would make the most sense as the (M) is running fewer trains however ultimately we'll see what happens.

Edit: Had this tab open for quite a while before posting and the above posts made it before I did. I did not intend to repeat already posted information.

It'll probably be Coney equipment of an R160 from Jamaica.

Edited by +Young+
Deleted extra space

8 hours ago, 4P3607 said:

Supt told me R160 8 car units from Jamaica..

21 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

What does ANY of this have to do with replacing the tracks in the 63rd St Tunnel which runs NOWHERE near South Brooklyn?

Running the (W) in place of the (R) (you’ve posted this for the zillionth time now!) will absolutely NOT any be any better at addressing any issues that may result from this project. 

16 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

This all stemmed from pols in Brooklyn wanting the (R) split in two, making the (R) a much shorter route (on weekdays, nights and weekends I would extend this <R> to Metropolitan to absorb the night and weekend (M) shuttles) that in Brooklyn would not be subject to delays from elsewhere on the line.  This also would have been about keeping pols happy. 

Completely moot point now that Max Rose and Mathylde Frontus are out of office and Justin Brannan and Andrew Gounardes aren’t still actively pursuing it. If they don’t care anymore, then why do you?

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

23 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

The pols both matter and don't matter—depending on whether the idea is favored.

<R>: for the pols!

An elevated line (e.g., Myrtle, Third, etc.): f*** the pols!

23 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

This also would have been about keeping pols happy. 

Methinks it’s really about keeping Wally happy. 🙂

Edited by CenSin

49 minutes ago, BreeddekalbL said:

@RTOMan is there a reason why are they putting the shuttle train rather then just having the "q94" shuttle bus cover 21st street queensbridge - Roosevelt island? 

From the MTA Website

A special (F) shuttle train will run every 20 minutes in each direction between Lexington Av/63 St and 21 St-Queensbridge, stopping at Roosevelt Island. The (F) shuttle train will not run overnight.  

Free shuttle buses will run between 21 St-Queensbridge and Queens Plaza days and evenings, and between Roosevelt Island, 21 St-Queensbridge, and Queens Plaza overnight.

The train is so people can go directly to Manhattan. But during overnights, they are extending the shuttle to Roosevelt Island.

Like other people, I'm also disappointed they're not extending the (G) 59th St is also very crowded, and having more trains run down there will just create more congestion. 

12 minutes ago, IAlam said:

From the MTA Website

The train is so people can go directly to Manhattan. But during overnights, they are extending the shuttle to Roosevelt Island.

Like other people, I'm also disappointed they're not extending the (G) 59th St is also very crowded, and having more trains run down there will just create more congestion. 

Yeah im basically saying its a waste, could have gotten more work done 

10 minutes ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Yeah im basically saying its a waste, could have gotten more work done 

Maybe the scale of the work can allow for partial service. Only 1 track need to be operational for a shuttle.

27 minutes ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

Why cant they also install CBTC the same time as track repair shut down?

I doubt we’ll get a good answer. Sometimes there are a lot of technical reasons something cannot be done but most of the time the reasons will never see the light of day.

As a software developer and computer hardware geek, I find that getting the client to understand that technical limitations or design choices impose limitations on what’s possible or how fast other features get implemented is a herculean task. Sometimes I get suggestions how to do my job by people who have no idea how to do my job.

I am not saying this is one of those cases, but people very privy to the implementation details might have gotten this and lament that their explanations just make laypeople go “but what if you ….” So they don’t bother engaging anymore.

But of course, this is the MTA we are talking about with a reputation for dragging feet and burning cash. There’s plenty of justification to question how they could be more efficient.

1 hour ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

Why cant they also install CBTC the same time as track repair shut down?

Trains are Localized at Roosevelt Island on  T1 and T2 track and enter CBTC territory at 21st street on T2 track..

Its already Installed.

Now will they push it further south on T1 and T2 track?

We shall see...

On 7/30/2023 at 6:30 PM, LGA Link N Train said:

Probably out of Jamaica Yard.

Actually it may be out of Coney Island Yard and it may be an R46, since the track that connects to the QB line will also be out of service, and CBTC is not present in the 63 St tunnel. Would be a waste of an R160 train to run it on this shuttle especially since CBTC enabled trains are at a premium. We’ll have to wait and see in which direction the open access to the mainline will be.

3 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Actually it may be out of Coney Island Yard and it may be an R46, since the track that connects to the QB line will also be out of service, and CBTC is not present in the 63 St tunnel. Would be a waste of an R160 train to run it on this shuttle especially since CBTC enabled trains are at a premium. We’ll have to wait and see in which direction the open access to the mainline will be.

Supt told me Jamaica Yard R160 8 car Units...

10 hours ago, RTOMan said:

Literally a waste of an R160 set (even worse that it won’t be a 600 foot train), since that will put a premium on the number of R160s that can run on the (M) assuming enough sets will be freed up for the (J) to allow the R179 8-car units to temporarily fill up the (C) and start putting some R46s into storage or increasing spare factor for the (A)

11 hours ago, RTOMan said:

So the (F) shuttle will use a small portion of the 8-car units currently assigned to the (M)? Wow. Also, never knew the (M) moved from ENY to Jamaica Yard.

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

Literally a waste of an R160 set (even worse that it won’t be a 600 foot train), since that will put a premium on the number of R160s that can run on the (M) assuming enough sets will be freed up for the (J) to allow the R179 8-car units to temporarily fill up the (C) and start putting some R46s into storage or increasing spare factor for the (A)

Agreed.

3 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

They wont be using the allotted amount of R160 8 car units anyway.