63rd Street Tunnel Shutdown Begins Last week in August.

RTOMan

17 minutes ago, RTOMan said:

They can barely have enough BOs to man the Shuttle Bus service let alone provide extra bus service listen people dont want buses they want trains they still got to get to Manhattan.

Extra Local service STARTS around 2000 hrs on the PMS...

That was the folks biggest gripe the evenings when the Mikey Isnt running.

As i said Politics...

That's because of the 20 minute waits on the (R)  every evening. I lost count of how many times during the 8pm to 9pm hour when you'll wait for an (R) train for 15-20+ mins. That of course sparked complaints. You can't get mad at people when that's their only local service they have to take to get home. They have no other alternative besides taking the (R) since the (M) was cut ,plus (MTA) promised service every six mins (I know that isn't realistic) which made things even worse.

Also this really made the (MTA) look bad when a state senator called them out on it, remember the state gave (MTA)  additional funding to provide more service and etc. , Seeing the non stop complaints about terrible (R) service as well as other things sparked that and made them question what is the (MTA) is doing despite getting additional funding.

This is proof that there is no communication between all parties and it's making things worse. 

21 minutes ago, RTOMan said:

Uhh im a TO on the (F) Line i see very well how the Corridor is been working it for years...

Read the whole post you would know this since its My post.

I know you are.

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

That's because of the 20 minute waits on the (R)  every evening. I lost count of how many times during the 8pm to 9pm hour when you'll wait for an (R) train for 15-20+ mins. That of course sparked complaints. You can't get mad at people when that's their only local service they have to take to get home. They have no other alternative besides taking the (R) since the (M) was cut ,plus (MTA) promised service every six mins (I know that isn't realistic) which made things even worse.

Also this really made the (MTA) look bad when a state senator called them out on it, remember the state gave (MTA)  additional funding to provide more service and etc. , Seeing the non stop complaints about terrible (R) service as well as other things sparked that and made them question what is the (MTA) is doing despite getting additional funding.

This is proof that there is no communication between all parties and it's making things worse. 

You said basically what i just told you just more words...

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

I know you are.

Yet you said "If i see" I do See...

More than you do...

Edited by RTOMan

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Kamen Rider said:

Next weekend, the tunnel will be out of service completely to begin the switchover to working on the southbound track and running the shuttle on the northbound track. 

Nice, so its about to be roughly halfway done

48 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

The complaints about the (R) being the sole local on QBL is skyrocketing. From large gaps in service, overcrowding, etc.

And what should be done about it?

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

The complaints about the (R) being the sole local on QBL is skyrocketing. From large gaps in service, overcrowding, etc.

Lack of Crews..

Some People dont want to come to work...

Cant blame The MTA if people get fired or quit or are injured on the Job....

Edited by RTOMan

32 minutes ago, Chris89292 said:

Run a few local (E) or (F) during midday, to avoid crowding, express service during midday should be cut in half for QBL during midday only 

They already do run the (E) and (F)local...

1 minute ago, Chris89292 said:

I haven’t seen any, unless they run during rush hours only

If there's no work trains needed to be moved they run them express..

Other than that during a certain time ONLY they run them local.

During Rush Hour if the delay in (R) service is bad they will run some (E)choes local.

On 1/1/2024 at 2:44 PM, Comrade96 said:

Nice, so its about to be roughly halfway done

I give workers until about April 30th or May 1st for service to be fully restored, but in what capacity is too soon to tell. Maybe riders will like the following rearrangement:

53 St - (E)(F) ( (F) weekdays only from 6AM to 9PM)

63 St - (M) (weekdays from 6AM to 9PM, then the (F) all other times).

Otherwise, back to what it was previously ( (E)(M) via 53 St; (F) via 63 St)

2 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

I give workers until about April 30th or May 1st for service to be fully restored, but in what capacity is too soon to tell. Maybe riders will like the following rearrangement:

53 St - (E)(F) ( (F) weekdays only from 6AM to 9PM)

63 St - (M) (weekdays from 6AM to 9PM, then the (F) all other times).

Otherwise, back to what it was previously ( (E)(M) via 53 St; (F) via 63 St)

That will never happen. The MTA doesn’t like having 2 different services at 2 different times.  (Which makes zero sense, since the MTA is always making route changes every weekend for other maintenance projects.) Either (M)  runs via 63rd at all times or (F) runs via 63rd at all times.

The only change I can see being made is to make the (F) local in Queens whenever the  isn’t running, and to make the (M) express in Queens on weekdays, but use the pre-2023 tunnel service. ((F)  uses 63rd, (M) uses 53rd). Since both local and express trains can use the Jamaica yard from 71st Av, it not really an issue in terms of yard assignment (unlike the (R) , which needs a B division yard in Queens since 4th Av has no yard)

3 hours ago, JSLR7 said:

That will never happen. The MTA doesn’t like having 2 different services at 2 different times.  (Which makes zero sense, since the MTA is always making route changes every weekend for other maintenance projects.) Either (M)  runs via 63rd at all times or (F) runs via 63rd at all times.

The only change I can see being made is to make the (F) local in Queens whenever the  isn’t running, and to make the (M) express in Queens on weekdays, but use the pre-2023 tunnel service. ((F)  uses 63rd, (M) uses 53rd). Since both local and express trains can use the Jamaica yard from 71st Av, it not really an issue in terms of yard assignment (unlike the (R) , which needs a B division yard in Queens since 4th Av has no yard)

F is long enough of a route already it doesnt need to be local in queens nights, the old service pattern works fine

On 1/2/2024 at 9:14 AM, Chris89292 said:

Run a few local (E) or (F) during midday, to avoid crowding, express service during midday should be cut in half for QBL during midday only 

Or...hear me out...EXTEND THE (G).

Now I know why it can't happen because of the communication issues allowing line ups to/from Crosstown with CBTC, but if it was that big of an issue, they should have waited until they fixed it to do the 63rd St project.

I personally would have kept the (G) on Queens Blvd at all times during the service change, with select ones ending at Bedford-Nostrand to keep up with consistent service.

31 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Now I know why it can't happen because of the communication issues allowing line ups to/from Crosstown with CBTC, but if it was that big of an issue, they should have waited until they fixed it to do the 63rd St project.

I personally would have kept the (G) on Queens Blvd at all times during the service change, with select ones ending at Bedford-Nostrand to keep up with consistent service.

it has been explained why the G cannot be extended, plus its far too late now for that

7 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

There aren’t enough trains to run (G) Trains to Continental. On top of that, CBTC won’t register 5 Car trains as being a full train…

Both of these things have been established before…

On 1/2/2024 at 9:14 AM, Chris89292 said:

The issue was the schedule that was written and the available equipment to run the service. Had for example, the (G) kept its R46s, those current R160s could have made the extra trains for the (R), especially since the (M) isn’t using as many crews, which could have been transferred to the (R). Remember that the (E)(F) had rush hour service reduced to accommodate the extra (R)s due to equipment shortages (only R160s permitted on QB).

alternatively, what COULD have been done is cancel the (W) for the duration of the project, allocate the R46s from that line to the (G), and any leftover cars to the (N)(Q). Pitkin could have also transferred an extra 24 R46 cars (and concourse yard an extra 4-car R68 train). This way, Broadway/59 St would have room for the extra (R) trains that could have ran between 71 Av and Whitehall St, as opposed to all traveling empty to 59 St-4 Av. The frequency of the (R) would have been every 4 minutes while the (N) frequency would have been every 6-7 minutes (no 96 St-2 Av trips for either route), and using extra Coney Island cars for the (Q) to run every 6 minutes consistently during the rush hours without the need for the (N). All (N) trains would remain Broadway Express since the higher-frequency (R) would have been able to handle the local stops.

just to say this COULD have been done, or doing the “alternating (M) trains between 57 St/6 Av and 71 Av each every 15 minutes during rush hours” idea, where no additional 10-car R160s would be needed.

briefly:

rush hours- (M) runs every 7.5 minutes between Metropolitan Av and 47-50 Sts, then alternate trains go to 71 Av and the remainder terminate at 57 St.

All other times - no change from current service

but we have what we have now and it’s only 4.5 months left until the project is done

Edited by darkstar8983

13 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

The issue was the schedule that was written and the available equipment to run the service. Had for example, the (G) kept its R46s, those current R160s could have made the extra trains for the (R), especially since the (M) isn’t using as many crews, which could have been transferred to the (R). Remember that the (E)(F) had rush hour service reduced to accommodate the extra (R)s due to equipment shortages (only R160s permitted on QB).

alternatively, what COULD have been done is cancel the (W) for the duration of the project, allocate the R46s from that line to the (G), and any leftover cars to the (N)(Q). Pitkin could have also transferred an extra 24 R46 cars (and concourse yard an extra 4-car R68 train). This way, Broadway/59 St would have room for the extra (R) trains that could have ran between 71 Av and Whitehall St, as opposed to all traveling empty to 59 St-4 Av. The frequency of the (R) would have been every 4 minutes while the (N) frequency would have been every 6-7 minutes (no 96 St-2 Av trips for either route), and using extra Coney Island cars for the (Q) to run every 6 minutes consistently during the rush hours without the need for the (N). All (N) trains would remain Broadway Express since the higher-frequency (R) would have been able to handle the local stops.

just to say this COULD have been done, or doing the “alternating (M) trains between 57 St/6 Av and 71 Av each every 15 minutes during rush hours” idea, where no additional 10-car R160s would be needed.

briefly:

rush hours- (M) runs every 7.5 minutes between Metropolitan Av and 47-50 Sts, then alternate trains go to 71 Av and the remainder terminate at 57 St.

but we have what we have now and it’s only 4.5 months left until the project is done

If you knew about those R46s what some of us folks down here know you'd know why they did what they did..

The (M)via 53rd was a absolute NO due to trains and CBTC issues with switch movement this has also be discussed and they managers told OP that any (M) train going via 53rd would be a nightmare.

So yer ight yall got what yall got and just deal until the spring/summer..

On 1/2/2024 at 6:47 PM, JSLR7 said:

Not happening...

17 hours ago, LGA Link N Train said:

There aren’t enough trains to run (G) Trains to Continental. On top of that, CBTC won’t register 5 Car trains as being a full train…

Then how will Culver CBTC recognize them then?

15 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

briefly:

The (E) and (F) were reduced because 53rd can't handle current day (E) and (F). Back in December of 2001 (and a year and a half after with some modifications), More Trains were added to both the (E) and (F) since the (V) used less trains than both and the extra (E) Trains were out of Jamaica 179th because Jamaica Center couldn't handle all (E) trains and also the give passengers from 179th direct service to 53rd st. That was one of the biggest things those people complained about because back then lex and 63rd was not the greatest and even with the metrocard transfers to the (4) (5) (6) (N) (R) (W) because of the one 3 story exit and entrance since that station was deep. Having the  (F) via 63rd allowed for more Trains per hour, That is the only benefit. The only drawback of the (F) via 63rd is the merge point at Queens Plaza.

Fitting the (M) into 53rd with the (E) and (F) would never work.

17 hours ago, LGA Link N Train said:

If they extended the (G) to forest hills, It wouldn't be 5 cars, It would have been 8 or 10 cars. They would have had enough since there are so many surplus 8 car R160s laying around. The (G) would have only been weekdays anyway since nights and weekends for throughout the year it would be shutdown for CBTC work. 

Edited by R32 3838

2 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

The (E) and (F) were reduced because 53rd can't handle current day (E) and (F). Back in December of 2001 (and a year and a half after with some modifications), More Trains were added to both the (E) and (F) since the (V) used less trains than both and the extra (E) Trains were out of Jamaica 179th because Jamaica Center couldn't handle all (E) trains and also the give passengers from 179th direct service to 53rd st. That was one of the biggest things those people complained about because back then lex and 63rd was not the greatest and even with the metrocard transfers to the (4) (5) (6) (N) (R) (W) because of the one 3 story exit and entrance since that station was deep. Having the  (F) via 63rd allowed for more Trains per hour, That is the only benefit. The only drawback of the (F) via 63rd is the merge point at Queens Plaza.

Fitting the (M) into 53rd with the (E) and (F) would never work.

Unless I'm mistaken, does JC's (E) platform not have those 2 train length long trail tracks at the end?