SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

10 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

R46's had that prior to GOH but during the GOH it was removed

It would kinda suck during rush hour since this would cause to back up service since the (E) would have to switch to the local track or have to wait for the (R) to leave before proceeding thus backing up (F) trains. CBTC doesn't make it any better, in fact it's worse.

CBTC on QBL was the worst decision they ever did. The subway is to old and CBTC is still to new of a technology to be tried on a 4 trunk mainline.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

CBTC on QBL was the worst decision they ever did. The subway is to old and CBTC is still to new of a technology to be tried on a 4 trunk mainline.

OTOH, it’d take forever to get relief on the lines that actually need them if they’d used all the double-tracked lines as test beds/proving grounds first. The (L) was kind of an all-the-stars-aligned case since it was double-tracked, isolated from merges, and busy. The (7) was a runner up. Not many other tidy configurations to select from beyond those two?

Edited by CenSin

36 minutes ago, CenSin said:

OTOH, it’d take forever to get relief on the lines that actually need them if they’d used all the double-tracked lines as test beds/proving grounds first. The (L) was kind of an all-the-stars-aligned case since it was double-tracked, isolated from merges, and busy. The (7) was a runner up. Not many other tidy configurations to select from beyond those two?

I get what your saying, but my point was more so with how fast they rushed it.

They should have tried it on a smaller trunk line like Culver between Bergen St & Avenue X. 

With QBL, they basically screwed over everybody with the exception of (G) riders who got an extra car. Broadway now has to deal with the failing R46’s, Queens Blvd now has to deal with the constant communication issues/CBTC shut down, etc etc.

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I get what your saying, but my point was more so with how fast they rushed it.

They should have tried it on a smaller trunk line like Culver between Bergen St & Avenue X. 

With QBL, they basically screwed over everybody with the exception of (G) riders who got an extra car. Broadway now has to deal with the failing R46’s, Queens Blvd now has to deal with the constant communication issues/CBTC shut down, etc etc.

The (G) may have more cars, but the difference in the number of cars doesn't translate to a meaningful change in train length.

Broadway would've been stuck dealing with the R46s even if QBL CBTC didn't happen. The pain would've just been spread to 6th Avenue instead of being concentrated on Broadway.

Speaking of QBL CBTC, the IND's signals are especially old and in desperate need of replacement. To add to that, the extremely busy nature of QBL operations makes it the perfect candidate for CBTC. What you're saying is that the can should've been kicked down the road, which would've led to severe disruption from failing signals along with still needing to replace them with a setup that was planned to replace existing signals. In fact, this is a learning experience for other quad-track lines. About the only other possible candidate for this sort of thing is 8th Avenue north of 59th Street, and that's nowhere near as busy or complex.

56 minutes ago, Lex said:

The (G) may have more cars, but the difference in the number of cars doesn't translate to a meaningful change in train length.

Broadway would've been stuck dealing with the R46s even if QBL CBTC didn't happen. The pain would've just been spread to 6th Avenue instead of being concentrated on Broadway.

Speaking of QBL CBTC, the IND's signals are especially old and in desperate need of replacement. To add to that, the extremely busy nature of QBL operations makes it the perfect candidate for CBTC. What you're saying is that the can should've been kicked down the road, which would've led to severe disruption from failing signals along with still needing to replace them with a setup that was planned to replace existing signals. In fact, this is a learning experience for other quad-track lines. About the only other possible candidate for this sort of thing is 8th Avenue north of 59th Street, and that's nowhere near as busy or complex.

I have to disagree with you. QBL was having nowhere this many issues with the old signaling system.

And how would Broadway still be stuck with the R46’s? If CBTC was put on pause, the swap wouldn’t have occurred until later down the road.

34 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I have to disagree with you. QBL was having nowhere this many issues with the old signaling system.

And how would Broadway still be stuck with the R46’s? If CBTC was put on pause, the swap wouldn’t have occurred until later down the road.

If the R46s hadn't left Jamaica they would've still been running on the (R) , which is part of the Broadway line.

Edited by RandomRider0101
Changed sentence

2 hours ago, Calvin said:

This week, there is 1 10-car set but split in two 5-car sets running on the Rockaway Park Shuttle (S) . They might be getting use to this movement besides the usual R46. 

Isn't the (S) based out of Pitkin , so shouldn't all of Pitkin crews be qualified to R179s no matter which line is it on ? 

11 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

If they could have done it from Coney Island to Court Square, that would seem pretty fairly isolated. Counting the Kings Highway (F), Coney Island (F), <F>, and (G) as functionally separate routes, and it would make for a smaller scale test case in preparation for Queens Boulevard. The only routes dragged into a potential mess would be the (F), (G), and the occasional (D) via Culver.

11 hours ago, MTA Dude said:

Is CBTC still having issues with the 63rd St shutdown? I thought maybe it was because it struggled to handle trains entering CBTC territory and then immediately afterward having to deal with the merges at Queens Plaza.

I occurred many activities along the (A) & (C) lines and someone got busted for 🏄‍♀️ at Nostrand Ave trying to do it sideways. 

12 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

yesterday I was on a super hot car on the (6), this is very unacceptable, does the westchester yard even inspect their cars before putting them to passenger service? 

This isn't a Westchester Yard only problem, R62A's been having A/C problems in the summer for years. Same thing happens on the (1) line.

You just have to deal with it until the R262 show up as the TA doesn't have an solution to fix the R62A frequent hot car problems. If every R62A was taken OOS due to A/C problems, there would be no service on the (1) and (6) lines :lol:

I would suggest just switch to an car with working A/C like most ppl do.

13 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

yesterday I was on a super hot car on the (6), this is very unacceptable, does the westchester yard even inspect their cars before putting them to passenger service? 

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

This isn't a Westchester Yard only problem, R62A's been having A/C problems in the summer for years. Same thing happens on the (1) line.

You just have to deal with it until the R262 show up as the TA doesn't have an solution to fix the R62A frequent hot car problems. If every R62A was taken OOS due to A/C problems, there would be no service on the (1) and (6) lines :lol:

I would suggest just switch to an car with working A/C like most ppl do.

Those lines are all local lines and mostly underground ( (1) line mainly) so their HVAC units are going to fail overtime due to doors opening and closing each stop. If these were on an express line like the (2) or (5) this wouldn't be as much as an issue).

But the amount of hot cars on the (1) and (6) dramatically dropped compared to 2019. 

When the R62A's where built in the 1980s they supplied them with only one AC unit compressor as oppose to two like on the other car fleets. This was obviously a design flaw that to this day (especially during hotter months) we continue to be aware off. Also it doesn't help much when the HVAC units on an older fleet like R62As are located under the train itself, therefore exposed to severe overheated temps and steel dust.

The (MTA) did put out a video on YT a few years back explaining the nature of this situation with the R62As.

Edited by jon2305

4 hours ago, Reptile said:

Following the lines built by the BMT and IRT for the Dual Contracts, the BMT had plans for lines along 8th Avenue and a Brooklyn-Queens Crosstown (which the IND used in their plan and built). But did the IRT have anything planned after their lines were built?

I don't recall any specific IRT proposals being laid out. Remember that the Bronx and Manhattan had the Metropolitan ( IRT ) stranglehold on EL service before the IRT subways came along up that way. Likewise the BRT (BMT) ruled Brooklyn , along with the Long Island Rail Road company and the myriad bus companies back then. As far as I'm concerned the IRT only got the Eastern Parkway line back then in Brooklyn. Look at a transportation map from that era the BMT/LIRR companies ran Brooklyn to Queens and Coney Island from Sands St to the South and East. Those two ran parallel services along Fulton St and Atlantic Avenue eastward that many posters overlook even now. The LIRR made many of the same stops as the BRT/BMT did until WWII when the railroad gave up the mass transit service along Atlantic Avenue to Jamaica. After the Dual Contracts time the IRT basically focused on the Manhattan/ Bronx El services and the connections to the Broadway- Seventh Ave lines and the Lexington Avenue lines. There was also the joint Astoria and Flushing Lines in Queens but nothing specific to the IRT. Even when the City purchased today's Dyre Avenue Line in the Bronx it was an IND line because the private lines were taken over by the City of New York before that date. Just my recollection though. I may have overlooked something along the way. Carry on.

4 hours ago, habbyy said:

Are there any speed limits on the R line NB between Bay Ridge Ave and 59th St? There must be but i have to ask.

Also, is there any way to see a list/map of all speed limits across the system, or is that private information?

The list from the MTA shouldn’t be private but I’m sure there are plenty of rail fans who’ve made up their own lists with the signs on the right side of the cab