Abbreviated Destination Signs Disappearing Finally?

PMac18

I've noticed over the last couple of weeks, and especially this week every single (5) train I've taken now says: TO EASTCHESTER-DYRE AV instead of the TO DYRE AV. At first I thought it was just the (5), thinking maybe it has to do with the (2)(5) Combo Strip Map installation/programming that they might have changed it back?

However, over the last week or so I've seen select (4) trains now saying TO CROWN HTS-UTICA AV now as well instead of TO UTICA AV.

And with the select few R142A on the (6) I've seen at least one set say TO BROOKLYN BRIDGE instead of TO BKLYN BRDG.

Finally, one thing I've noticed in the morning on (5) trains downtown is that it says BRONX-LEX AV EXP. But during the evening rush it will say the full BRONX EXP then LEXINGTON AV EXP. Not sure why that's necessary to shorten.

I'm happy they are switching back to the full length, let's hope it continues...

I think it's comical that such focus would be given to this either way.  If anything, maybe they're trying to facilitate getting around for the tourists, but I've never had an issue with the signs either way aside from some not being legible but that's being dealt with as newer train cars and buses come in.

I think it's comical that such focus would be given to this either way.  If anything, maybe they're trying to facilitate getting around for the tourists, but I've never had an issue with the signs either way aside from some not being legible but that's being dealt with as newer train cars and buses come in.

That decision was just plain stupid. I'm glad they're changing it. The fact that the R188's on the (7) say " 34-HUDSON" and can't even just add "YDS" is just asinine.

Hopefully they'll bring back, "34 ST-HUDSON YDS" and add the express announcement similar to the one on the (6), "This is a Flushing-Main Street bound (7) train making express stops in Queens"

It's not really a big deal. It's not like 100% of NYers read the signs anyway. Everyday people get on the wrong train because they don't give a damn what the signs say (this happens regularly with SMEES) but the more specific and accurate the better.

It's not really a big deal. It's not like 100% of NYers read the signs anyway. Everyday people get on the wrong train because they don't give a damn what the signs say (this happens regularly with SMEES) but the more specific and accurate the better.

Exactly... Most people don't read anyway, so while it is nice to have clearer signs, I'm not sure it will make that much of a difference.

Exactly... Most people don't read anyway, so while it is nice to have clearer signs, I'm not sure it will make that much of a difference.

It wont. The more clear an announcement is or a sign is, it still falls on death ears with people in New York. There's hundreds of signs and maps around the subway system and people still act like deer in a headlights.

It wont. The more clear an announcement is or a sign is, it still falls on death ears with people in New York. There's hundreds of signs and maps around the subway system and people still act like deer in a headlights.

Most people are lazy and some just like to tune out. I see so many people that either miss their stop or almost miss it because they don't pay attention.  Any time someone asks me something regarding announcements when they have been played or shown several times, I make sure to make them feel stupid.  Totally ridiculous not to pay attention to your surroundings, but people do it because everyone needs to feel important.

That decision was just plain stupid. I'm glad they're changing it. The fact that the R188's on the (7) say " 34-HUDSON" and can't even just add "YDS" is just asinine.

Hopefully they'll bring back, "34 ST-HUDSON YDS" and add the express announcement similar to the one on the (6), "This is a Flushing-Main Street bound (7) train making express stops in Queens"

Even so, how many people actually pay attention to what train they're getting on anyway? If I see a train running on a different line, I will board then listen to the announcement as to where it is going and the next stop before stepping further into the car.  Most people don't even bother.

As an avid (7) rider, I feel the current announcements are fine. There are only 4 stop on the (7) that are actually in Manhattan and it doesn't even follow the conventional Manhattan trunk line name of 42st Street Local or 42st Street - Flushing Local like the (L) does. The quicker the announcements say whether the train is express or local, the quicker people choose to either get in or wait for their train. It is also why those awful LED signs are being added on the R188. People don't even want to even wait for the thing to blink Flushing Local or Express and just want to look at a shape and color and get on. I would say more of the riders that even know the difference already know that the <7> runs express in Queens. Using the (6) style announcement is generally meaningless since there are no express service in Manhattan unlike the (6) on Lexington Ave.

As an avid (7) rider, I feel the current announcements are fine. There are only 4 stop on the (7) that are actually in Manhattan and it doesn't even follow the conventional Manhattan trunk line name of 42st Street Local or 42st Street - Flushing Local like the (L) does. The quicker the announcements say whether the train is express or local, the quicker people choose to either get in or wait for their train. It is also why those awful LED signs are being added on the R188. People don't even want to even wait for the thing to blink Flushing Local or Express and just want to look at a shape and color and get on. I would say more of the riders that even know the difference already know that the <7> runs express in Queens. Using the (6) style announcement is generally meaningless since there are no express service in Manhattan unlike the (6) on Lexington Ave.

I totally agree. It is completely ridiculous that they are adding those hideous LED signs to the 188s just because people can't bother to read a sign. Adding the "Flushing Main Street bound <7> making express stops..." announcement would only make things worse. Not that people listen to the announcements anyway... I feel like they should just have the destination sign read "7 | TO MAIN ST VIA EXP (or LCL depending on the train) so the sign doesn't have to flip. If people are too lazy to read the sign when it says that, that should be on them. There was a set of 188s that had unabbreviated signs for a little while but it was unfortunately reverted back to the abbreviated sign program.

I've noticed over the last couple of weeks, and especially this week every single (5) train I've taken now says: TO EASTCHESTER-DYRE AV instead of the TO DYRE AV. At first I thought it was just the (5), thinking maybe it has to do with the (2)(5) Combo Strip Map installation/programming that they might have changed it back?

All of the (2) and (5) trains have the combined map as the map also replaced the shortened signs to the full name (5: To Wakefield-241 St) 

Here’s a brilliant idea… scrolling marquee signs! No truncation or abbreviation necessary.

They had that on the old (Q) to 21 St-Queensbridge reading on the R160s, but it's gone now in favor of the abbreviated "21 ST-QUEENSBR". There are also the random scrolling PSA signs on the next stop displays of the 160s. I think the fact that the scrolling speed is too slow to be useful is a real deterrent to utilizing the feature. I'm also unsure if the 142s and 143s even have this feature.

As for the return to the older format of signs, good. Abbreviating signs for the sake of doing so is confusing. Now if they'll change those next train announcements back, I'll be happy.

They had that on the old (Q) to 21 St-Queensbridge reading on the R160s, but it's gone now in favor of the abbreviated "21 ST-QUEENSBR". There are also the random scrolling PSA signs on the next stop displays of the 160s. I think the fact that the scrolling speed is too slow to be useful is a real deterrent to utilizing the feature. I'm also unsure if the 142s and 143s even have this feature.

The refresh rates seem to be fast (at least when I’m pointing my camera at the display). But maybe the chip driving the display is just some really slow dinosaur? I suspect it’s more of a configuration issue.

Here’s a brilliant idea… scrolling marquee signs! No truncation or abbreviation necessary.

I've actually seen them do this (the external sign, that is, on a 160). But for some reason they don't program them this way. Perhaps they think moving text will be harder for some to read?

They had that on the old (Q) to 21 St-Queensbridge reading on the R160s, but it's gone now in favor of the abbreviated "21 ST-QUEENSBR".

And it should be. That scroll took way too long.

My only qualm is that I would prefer they abbreviate it as "21 ST-QNSBRIDGE" instead of "21 ST-QUEENSBR". "QNS" is a well know abbrivation for Queens, the same way that "BKLYN" is well known for Brooklyn and it would allow for the entirety of "BRIDGE" to show on the sign.

This one has always bothered me... the unnecessary shortening when the space is there makes no sense. 34 St-Hudson Yds would fit just fine. Even if they want to leave the "St" off, the "Yds" should be there. This and the Bklyn Brg one... I'm pretty sure they did the same with "Jay-MetroTech", despite ample room on the sign for "St". But that's slightly less bothersome.

In any case, whether people read them or not, I definitely prefer the signs' text being expanded whenever possible.

Archived