Retired Trains you miss the most?

lilbluefoxie

Which out of the retired fleet do you miss the most? For me it would be the R38, since I cant quite remember if I've actually ridden in one. Im pretty sure I did but not 100% sure. Also the R33/36 since by the time I was going off to the city for day trips and stuff, and using the subway they were gone already.

The IRT Redbirds R26 through R36. Of course the R17[Never rode in real life but in TOMC yes], R38 and Slants

When the R32s leave us, I will miss it, cuz it reminds me of the Redbirds! =(!

For me I miss the R10s, R17s, and definitely the R21s the graffitti days trains were awesome and the blackouts they would have when they hit switch tracks or other gaps in the third rail... i miss that. Also that burnt smokish smell.. specific to the subway. After they retired all of the pre GOH days were better. The old school roll signs and blue doors on the R32s, the blue stripe on the R44/46s, and also the large door windows to match the large windows on the R40/42s. Classic stuff. Never be the same... what a shame.

For me I miss the R10s, R17s, and definitely the R21s the graffitti days trains were awesome and the blackouts they would have when they hit switch tracks or other gaps in the third rail... i miss that. Also that burnt smokish smell.. specific to the subway. After they retired all of the pre GOH days were better. The old school roll signs and blue doors on the R32s, the blue stripe on the R44/46s, and also the large door windows to match the large windows on the R40/42s. Classic stuff. Never be the same... what a shame.

Amen, bro.

I'm gonna say the redbirds top my list, but the 38s and soon to be 32s are what I miss the most. We're gonna loose a classic when the 32s go. The R160s still got some serious shoes to fill.

R38s on the (A) and (C). Trerible how they went, I litrally cried when they left. I also miss the redbirds on the (2)(5) and (7). Really sad they went, I feel they coulda last just a few more years.

Oh BTW since this applys to both divisons can we move it to the General Subway Forum?

My favorite would be the St. Louis Car Co. built R-27/R-30's,i miss those trains.i used to take them when they were placed on the M line during the late 80'/early 90's as i was going to summer school in Brooklyn.i used to see them on the old B West End Line,together when the B used to have R-32/R-40 slant cars assigned.what was special about these trains was the fact they were the only BMT/IND "Redbird" cars operating together with a fleet of stainless steel cars.these old birds were very fast and past their prime,the only thing i hated was these cars had no AC and those summers were scorchers.

Which out of the retired fleet do you miss the most? For me it would be the R38, since I cant quite remember if I've actually ridden in one. Im pretty sure I did but not 100% sure. Also the R33/36 since by the time I was going off to the city for day trips and stuff, and using the subway they were gone already.

The R33/R36WF's. I remember when those cars was rebuilt in the Mid-1980s. I remember seeing the first rebuilt cars in the red paint scheme (Redbirds) as early as October of 1984.

The R40's that ran on the (A) from October 1977 to around April of 1985, and again this earlier this year.

The R30 redbirds that ran on the (J) which was overhauled in 1985. I also rode those cars on the (C) line in 1990.

Archived