NYCT/MTA Bus cuts 2010-How are you impacted?

Shortline Bus

Wash Hts to East Village: epic journey

Wash Hts to South Ferry: why the hell you taking the bus? :(

Unless you a disabled rider in wheelchair or senior/eldery rider whose station in Manhattan is not ada accesible.

I really like I think was Gotham Bus Company's idea of ending the Northbound m5 at CCNY area at 135th/Amsterdam and having the m104 extended to the GW Bus terminal at 178th/Bway.

Advantages.

(1) subway riders have an alternative in the M104 for almost all of Uptown/Midtown Manhattan if and when that line is shut down. Also ADA riders as well.

Access for all of Upper West Side and West Harlem/Manhattanville for bus access to/from South F:tup:erry.

Only Disavantage.

M5 riders from Washington heights and Upper West Side areas north of 135th St, no longer have access to Downtown areas such as Chelesa and Greenwich Village.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wash Hts to East Village: epic journey

Wash Hts to South Ferry: why the hell you taking the bus? :P

lol.... you right though....

I really like I think was Gotham Bus Company's idea of ending the Northbound m5 at CCNY area at 135th/Amsterdam and having the m104 extended to the GW Bus terminal at 178th/Bway.

Yep, that was a good suggestion... you shave about 2-3 miles, about roughly 15 mins. off the "new" M5... The M104 being truncated to 7th, could use a different riderbase to keep it around; the upper broadway crowd (135th to 178th/GWB) could accomplish that...

Although my Borough is the hardest hit by the cuts, none of them affect me directly, although I think the elimination of the B39 is definitely a mistake. I can see them cutting service, but I don't see how they can justify an all out cut of the route. TA Brass doesn't care anyway. As long as they continue to line their pockets its all good. You think they really care about someone in a wheel chair trying to get to or from Brooklyn??? Heaven forbid they would have to ride the bus or the subway one day! Then again, MTA doesn't serve the Hamptons does it?

The problem with these cuts, especially the 5 Big ones (LES, Manhattan N-S, Brownstone, Bay Ridge, East Bronx) is not the service itself, but how to get the information out to the public in an easy way. It took me 5-6 read-overs to understand the changes. Imagine how hard it will be for the uninformed person!

The MTA should really purge station booths and buses of old maps that weekend and put in the new ones rather than let the old ones sit until they are all given out. Mass-overtime of station agents and field employees distributing literature is the best, but the MTA probably can't afford it.

As for the M5, it is going to be impossible for it to run on a consistent schedule with the long route, unless several short-turn variants are created, which defeats the purpose of saving money anyway.

The problem with these cuts, especially the 5 Big ones (LES, Manhattan N-S, Brownstone, Bay Ridge, East Bronx) is not the service itself, but how to get the information out to the public in an easy way. It took me 5-6 read-overs to understand the changes. Imagine how hard it will be for the uninformed person!

The MTA should really purge station booths and buses of old maps that weekend and put in the new ones rather than let the old ones sit until they are all given out. Mass-overtime of station agents and field employees distributing literature is the best, but the MTA probably can't afford it.

As for the M5, it is going to be impossible for it to run on a consistent schedule with the long route, unless several short-turn variants are created, which defeats the purpose of saving money anyway.

I'm sure the new M5 will be just fine. They will have the buses and drivers from the M6, so I'm sure service on that route will be top notch.

Although my Borough is the hardest hit by the cuts, none of them affect me directly, although I think the elimination of the B39 is definitely a mistake. I can see them cutting service, but I don't see how they can justify an all out cut of the route. TA Brass doesn't care anyway. As long as they continue to line their pockets its all good. You think they really care about someone in a wheel chair trying to get to or from Brooklyn??? Heaven forbid they would have to ride the bus or the subway one day! Then again, MTA doesn't serve the Hamptons does it?

East NY i always felt that when the list of these revised doomsday cuts came out early this year around January, the B39 was among the top 3-4 cuts i strongly oppose for the reasons given. Being fair to the (MTA) a few times i driven on a Saturday/Sunday night around 10pm-Midnight on the "Willy B' i noticed on most trips the B39 had zero riders. Thus i could understand they had to canning overnight B39 service.

As i stated before the (MTA) could have done the following with the B39 IMO.

1)Reduce the hours to Daily and run it appx. Weekdays 5am-1230am

Saturdays 7am-11pm and Sundays 8am-11pm.

Or

2)Merge it with the B24 or Q59.

East NY i always felt that when the list of these revised doomsday cuts came out early this year around January, the B39 was among the top 3-4 cuts i strongly oppose for the reasons given. Being fair to the (MTA) a few times i driven on a Saturday/Sunday night around 10pm-Midnight on the "Willy B' i noticed on most trips the B39 had zero riders. Thus i could understand they had to canning overnight B39 service.

As i stated before the (MTA) could have done the following with the B39 IMO.

1)Reduce the hours to Daily and run it appx. Weekdays 5am-1230am

Saturdays 7am-11pm and Sundays 8am-11pm.

Or

2)Merge it with the B24 or Q59.

Or both! Have 1 run on just the B39, and another coming off a Q59 run when needed. That wouldn't cost much at all.

I'm sure the new M5 will be just fine. They will have the buses and drivers from the M6, so I'm sure service on that route will be top notch.

I HOPE that they split the M5 with MJQ, but thats only a dream at this point.

I never paid attention to the Manhattan service cuts cuz I take no buses in Manhattan except for the M15, 16, & 23 and that's only for work. A few nights ago, I found out the they are cutting the M16 overnights. That kinda bad for me on the days that I have to work the graveyard shift (formerly known as truck days :P). IMO, they should've cuz the M34 instead of the M16 and extend the M16 to the Javits Ctr. So that's how I'm impacted lol

I think the M5 should run limited every day when it's new service pattern takes place. Someone answer, is this possible?

I think is possible

I think the M5 should run limited every day when it's new service pattern takes place. Someone answer, is this possible?

Maybe someone can confirm but i heard the (MTA) plans to can or end limited stop M5 which currently runs all day Monday-Friday only until 9pm between 72nd/Bway. and 14th St. It would be replaced by new rush hour only M3 and expanded M4 service. I assume because the limited stop M5 was not listed in the offical and final (MTA) cuts starting in June.

Ideally the new M5 should run 'limited' weekdays 6am-9pm Saturdays 8am-8pm and Sundays 12 Noon-8pm which is the same hours of operation that currently both the M2 and M101 run.

It could only run 'limited' between 8 St and 72nd/Bway and also on Upper Bway between 135th and 168th. Local all other times.

Unfortunately, MTA doesn't care about the rider, period....

For once we agree on something.

But I'll take it one step further. I believe the bus operators, dispatchers, and field managers do care. Above that level, they don't.

I also think that some of the dispatchers are inadequately trained and sometimes when trying to improve a situation, they actually make things worse. Again I blame management for this.

Even without the extension to South Ferry, the M5 route hits many bad traffic intersections spots all over Manhattan already on a rush hour and even weekends that is disastrous when pedestrians rule in Midtown. The extension will be more sh-ittier then before. I really dont think Limited-Stop would work on this extension due to the length of the route, street, traffic, everything...even the Local bus should be turn into a tour bus when it frequently stops along the street lights.

There is a guy who post on SubChat forum work at MTV says... It is one of the worst delay routes from MTV. http://www.subchat.com/buschat/read.asp?Id=195054

• 1 month later...

Oops, my bad. I was thinking of the M5 (the bus I use to go downtown because it terminates at Houston and W. Bway, near my home) when I said the M6 goes down B'way instead of 7th Av. Well, the good news for me is that the M5 will replace the M6 uptown route on Church St. Thank God for that. I thought the MTA fools were going to leave us without bus service entirely on that portion of the M6 route.

Even without the extension to South Ferry, the M5 route hits many bad traffic intersections spots all over Manhattan already on a rush hour and even weekends that is disastrous when pedestrians rule in Midtown. The extension will be more sh-ittier then before. I really dont think Limited-Stop would work on this extension due to the length of the route, street, traffic, everything...even the Local bus should be turn into a tour bus when it frequently stops along the street lights.

There is a guy who post on SubChat forum work at MTV says... It is one of the worst delay routes from MTV. http://www.subchat.com/buschat/read.asp?Id=195054

It will be what the M10 was when it went all the way to BPC. It's just too long and prone to delays.

I mentioned the effect of the doomsday cuts in parts of the Bronx on another thread, but I'll post the link up:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21234&page=2

Look at my response (reply #26 near the bottom of the page for reactions).

But here are other effects:

Artics on the Bx15:

As predicted, the Bx15 having artics would not only result in less service along 3rd Avenue, but slower buses as well. I noticed today that Bx15's are scheduled to run ahead of Bx55 LTDs (especially Gun Hill Bx55's), resulting in more riders on the Bx15 as opposed to the Bx55. But a few riders often wait for the Bx55 since it's a LTD after all.

The Bx28/38 in Coop City

I rode the Bx28 yesterday in Coop City and we didn't spend too much time in Coop City (around 10 minutes or say traveling within the complex). But when we got to Edson, the Bx38 was in front of us with most riders taking the Bx38 since it's in front. I fear that with the BX28/38, there would be constant bunching since the Bx38 has a longer run in Coop City, which can result in lateness and overcrowding along Gun Hill Road.

I'm not being affected per se, but I kind of know some people. Uh.... if my brother appeals into the H.S. of his choice [his results should come back soon] he'll have to take New!B69 [less frequent than before]. Some of my classmates too, but that's about it. Oh, wait, I remember now. Service on the B44 will be slightly reduced sometime soon [on the weekend I think] and the B8 was cut daytime hours beyond VA Hospital, but I usually don't ride the bus beyond 86th St... so that probably doesn't count. I suppose I'm lucky. The B23 was axed.... but it only terminates a few blocks from me. So yeah.

I cant get to the movies without the B4 unless I take the B36 to the B44 ;). The stops for the B4 don't make sense either, they labeled a lot of them wrong, and covered a few up with service announcements, it looks sloppy.

B1 to 4th ave made my life easier actually, but now there are large crowds on Bay Ridge where the old B64 used to stop, and people constantly arguing about the new B1. The bus drivers also spend way more time idling then the B64 drivers do, they also go out of service A LOT and drive away. One driver was like "Why didn't you get on the one that just passed!?"...but it went out of service :confused:. Plus the driver always has to explain where the bus is going, it just wastes time.

There is no schedule or map for the B1, it still says the B64 and bus drivers often still use the signage "B1 via 13 Ave", AND they mislabeled a bus stop, across the street where the SI buses stop and the B16, they put a stop for the B64...and it never even traveled there prior to all the cuts.

There is no schedule or map for the B1, it still says the B64 and bus drivers often still use the signage "B1 via 13 Ave", AND they mislabeled a bus stop, across the street where the SI buses stop and the B16, they put a stop for the B64...and it never even traveled there prior to all the cuts.

I think one of the worst things about all these new changes is the MTA hasn't fixed all the stop signs. Its become VERY confusing. I understand that will take some time, but some stops don't have the notice saying the stop is no longer a stop. There are still B4 signs on Neptune Ave and x29 signs on Broadway in Manhattan. I'd also like to know where the M20 stops around the Ferry but I haven't the slightest idea. :mad::tdown:

I think M5 takes M6 stop while M20 takes M1 stop.

On Monday, at Unloading Zone of GWB Bus Station had service notice that M98 now shares stop with Bronx Buses at 178th St/Ft. Washington Av, but 5:00pm departure of Cabrini Blvd did not stop. I think she was new.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

The M16 was axed past midnight. The M34 never ran past midnight anyway and the M23 is damn near non-existant at time so I have no choice but to walk to the (6) train after work sometimes...mainly cuz a cab is too much

I'm not really affected by these reductions, since they don't impact the services that I normally use (the only bus line in northwestern Staten Island that is being affected is the S40/S90 Howland Hook branch, which was used by only 15 people per day.

However, they did affect my trip to the NY Aquarium today. Since I had my elderly grandmother, we would've taken the S93 to the B64 to Coney Island and walked. However, because of these reductions, we took the S93 to the R train to the N train to the Q train to avoid having to pay for a second transfer.

However, going back, we realized that the service reductions didn't really have an effect, since instead of taking the B64, we took the B1, which, although it took 10-15 minutes longer, maintained the one-seat ride we needed to Fort Hamilton.

Archived