Bus drivers please read, for it will help others on this site

Chris Frusci

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's the only way I can stay sane. Sometimes I start smiling for no reason while driving. I think that's why the customers don't bother me.......

LOL!! I do that sometimes too. Have you ever burst out laughing at something you were thinking about and no one around knows whats going on?

Hi, I am very thankful, especially to Chris Frusci for creating this post and others that are here doing the same thing, clarifying and helping all of us who are new at this. yesterday night i was looking for some information about the MTA Bus Driver test, and i found this site with all this important and helpful information. once again thank you Chris. :cool::D

Well, the purpose of me being here is that i applied for the bus driver test on April.# 8006, and i was looking for some information about what is going to be on the test and what are the procedures, i read all the info that is on this thread about the test, but i would like to ask you something Chris. I already have my CDL B permit, but as you can see on my profile Im 20 years old, but im turning 21 on april 15, and i will go asap to DMV to get my new cdl license before going to take my test, so i think in that side im okey?. the thing is that i have a restriction on my license, restriction K, which means that i dont have the medical examination done, so do i need to have that medical examination before going to take the test on April 19? lastly im wondering if i only have the cdl b permit is that alright for me, or is it better to get my cdl first, not the permit? right know im studying from the dmv cdl manual book of new york, i studied from that one before taking the test for my permit.

Thanks you so much for all your help.

Hi, I am very thankful, especially to Chris Frusci for creating this post and others that are here doing the same thing, clarifying and helping all of us who are new at this. yesterday night i was looking for some information about the MTA Bus Driver test, and i found this site with all this important and helpful information. once again thank you Chris. :cool::D

Well, the purpose of me being here is that i applied for the bus driver test on April.# 8006, and i was looking for some information about what is going to be on the test and what are the procedures, i read all the info that is on this thread about the test, but i would like to ask you something Chris. I already have my CDL B permit, but as you can see on my profile Im 20 years old, but im turning 21 on april 15, and i will go asap to DMV to get my new cdl license before going to take my test, so i think in that side im okey?. the thing is that i have a restriction on my license, restriction K, which means that i dont have the medical examination done, so do i need to have that medical examination before going to take the test on April 19? lastly im wondering if i only have the cdl b permit is that alright for me, or is it better to get my cdl first, not the permit? right know im studying from the dmv cdl manual book of new york, i studied from that one before taking the test for my permit.

Thanks you so much for all your help.

Hey EASF: I will also be taking the exam on April 18th as well. No you don't need to have the dot medical exam done before taking the test. You don't need to have a CDL class B license to take the test. The permit you have is fine for now(you do have the 'P" endorsement on it right?) . They(MTA,TA,etc)prefer if you just have the CDL Permit,so they can train you their way. I am in the process of getting my CDL through a driving school on a school bus,failed the road test a couple of days ago,need more training,will take the road test again next month at a different location. I would prepare for the exam and worry about your CDL afterwards. You will have eneough time to do so.

Im wondering if anyone knows, are any of the 2801 MaBSTOA applicants beginning their training yet? I was @ 180 livingston yesterday along with many other 2801 OA applicants (approximate 50) going trough our pre-employment process. I still have to bring in a disposition for something that happened long time ago, so im not done with the process yet. Those applicants that had all their paper work straight took a drug test yesterday also. We were told we have to wait on a call for medical in which would take all day, and i heard from someone yesterday that a 2801 applicant was there yesterday taking their medical. Im in NYC right now staying with a friend but i have a job back home in Orlando in which i had to take a week off for this whole pre-employment process. Im wondering if i should return home to work, or stay and wait for medical and then training, since i hear that classes are filing up quickly. any help would be appreciated Thanks.

Im wondering if anyone knows, are any of the 2801 MaBSTOA applicants beginning their training yet? I was @ 180 livingston yesterday along with many other 2801 OA applicants (approximate 50) going trough our pre-employment process. I still have to bring in a disposition for something that happened long time ago, so im not done with the process yet. Those applicants that had all their paper work straight took a drug test yesterday also. We were told we have to wait on a call for medical in which would take all day, and i heard from someone yesterday that a 2801 applicant was there yesterday taking their medical. Im in NYC right now staying with a friend but i have a job back home in Orlando in which i had to take a week off for this whole pre-employment process. Im wondering if i should return home to work, or stay and wait for medical and then training, since i hear that classes are filing up quickly. any help would be appreciated Thanks.

Whats your list #? Cause i am 2393 for list #2801. But i am confused. I thought they were calling everyone on Exam #5025 first. hmmmm

Im wondering if anyone knows, are any of the 2801 MaBSTOA applicants beginning their training yet? I was @ 180 livingston yesterday along with many other 2801 OA applicants (approximate 50) going trough our pre-employment process. I still have to bring in a disposition for something that happened long time ago, so im not done with the process yet. Those applicants that had all their paper work straight took a drug test yesterday also. We were told we have to wait on a call for medical in which would take all day, and i heard from someone yesterday that a 2801 applicant was there yesterday taking their medical.

I haven't begun any training. I'm still waiting for a letter on whether I passed or failed the BOSS. I'm #1413 on the MaBSTOA list.

I haven't begun any training. I'm still waiting for a letter on whether I passed or failed the BOSS. I'm #1413 on the MaBSTOA list.

well you should call and find out if you passed cuz im #1532. I didnt get a letter telling if i passed the BOSS or not. The letter invites you in to 180 livingston to begin the pre-employment process. It comes attached with an application in which you have to fill out thoroughly a list of things you will have to bring with you (ie: Birth certificate or passport, Drivers License and CDL Permit, SS card) and it says to bring your HS diploma or GED but they never asked for it yesterday. So i assumed i passed the BOSS. Whether or not they started started calling people in for training on the MaBSTOA list is what im trying to find out. I have relatives in the MTA and they tell me that MTA's HR is always unpredictable. even if they are still hiring people from one list there is no telling if they started hiring from another. I guess they can do whatever they feel like.

I was number 2211 on the mabstoa znd I just gat a letter today telling me to come down on 3-26. I was just wondering when they asked you about your previous employment do they get in touch with your suoervisors? some of my supervisors are no longer there. How long after do they call you if it goes well? How long do you have to be there? Do you just speak to one person? Thanks I am sorry for all the questions.

EASF: Your in luck. I had the K endorsement on my license as well, because I was 20 when I got my cdl. I NEVER GOT IT REMOVED, AND WHEN I WENT FOR MY MEDICAL THEY DID NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT IT. They give you their own medical, so your ok with that.

To take the test, all you need is a regular license. To get hired, you have to have a license for the last 3 years. SO lets say they call you next march of 2009. If you got your license in march of 2006 or before that date, then your good. The next requirment TO GET HIRED is that you must have a cdl class B permit with Passenger and air-brakes endorsements. That, you could get the day before they call you if you wanted. They don't care. Lastly, you should have NO RESTRICTIONS. What they mean by that; is that you shouldn't have gotten your license suspended for a stupid reason, and things like that. For example you just recieved your license back, coming from a suspension, and you could only drive during the day and not at night. A (K) restriction is fine. As a matter of fact, I remember the fingerprinting lady deleting that off my record.

In terms of getting your cdl license, that would be a smart idea. The only time that comes into play, is after you qualify during training. Let me explain- When you first enter orientation, everyone is equal. It doesn't matter who has, and who doesn't have their cdl license. Some have permits, some have licenses. Everyone gets 10 days to qualify (to become a bus driver for the MTA). Once they qualify, the MTA gives those drivers the OK to drive for the MTA; but guesss what? The state of New York never gave you the right to drive a bus, so now you have to go take your DMV road test. So those with a cdl license that qualify by day 10 of training are free and clear. All they have to do, is just wait till graduation. Those with the cdl permit still have to wait to take their STATE road test.

So if your asking me for a suggestion, I would tell you this. Continue to study a drivers ed manuel. Stay calm, and don't worry about getting your cdl until after you take test #8006. You don't want to overwelm yourself. Especially since you still have about a year till you get called. Sometime during the summer, take about 10 driving lessons on a bus (assuming you have the P and air brakes endorsements).

Lastly, don't panic when you take the test. Your already a step ahead because you found this site. CHEATER!!!! lol Those people taking the test are expecting a dummy test like the sanitation test. Even after you check your answers, and if you get 11 wrong like I did, don't panic. My list # was 825. You should be very proud of yourself that you even made the initiative on your own to go ahead and file for the test. Alot of people our age are unemployed and still "waiting" for that great 100k a year job because they have a bachelors degree. More power to them, but you don't have that. So instead of "waiting" around, you did what you had to do. Congratulations up until this point!

To NAMM and anyone else on list 2801: If you read my posts, I explained how people on that list have been getting called and are in training. My training class number was TA-OA-08. I will disect that for you. TA means nyct (list 5025). OA means MAbstoa (list 2801). 08, means we were the eighth (08) class of the year so far. So that is proof that mabstoa and nyct are completely combined.

DOB2RTO: Don't get on your high horse, nyct still controls everything!!

well you should call and find out if you passed cuz im #1532. I didnt get a letter telling if i passed the BOSS or not. The letter invites you in to 180 livingston to begin the pre-employment process. It comes attached with an application in which you have to fill out thoroughly a list of things you will have to bring with you (ie: Birth certificate or passport, Drivers License and CDL Permit, SS card) and it says to bring your HS diploma or GED but they never asked for it yesterday. So i assumed i passed the BOSS. Whether or not they started started calling people in for training on the MaBSTOA list is what im trying to find out. I have relatives in the MTA and they tell me that MTA's HR is always unpredictable. even if they are still hiring people from one list there is no telling if they started hiring from another. I guess they can do whatever they feel like.

Prodeq: Don't bring your diploma (or ged). They don't ask you for it. If you want to know more, read my posts. Ive been posting about whaty human resources does.

P.S.- after you take your drug test, don't go home and smoke a blunt. They give you antoher test when you go back for your medical. Thats where they get alot of people.

I was number 2211 on the mabstoa znd I just gat a letter today telling me to come down on 3-26. I was just wondering when they asked you about your previous employment do they get in touch with your suoervisors? some of my supervisors are no longer there. How long after do they call you if it goes well? How long do you have to be there? Do you just speak to one person? Thanks I am sorry for all the questions.

I dont think they call the supervisors because they mentioned to at least have the address including city, state and zip. I also had to leave out some of them because some of those jobs went out of business. They urge the dates because they want to back track you ten years in employment with no gaps. so make sure you include anytime you were unemployed, IE: Your present job on the application should end in 3/08 or write present, and your last job on the application should start on or before 3/98 and if there are any gaps between employment, you have to write unemployed and how did you support your self at the time, IE: Family assistance, Unemployment benefits, or student (specify how did u support your self as a student) etc. And if you were self employed then you write UNEMPLOYED because you were not employed by anyone at that time. Just make sure there are no gaps in your dates they want no gaps in the TEN! year employment. Just put month and year for each job.

They take a drug test that day (pee in cup), after that they said they will call you between 2 to 30 days. and "make sure your voicemail or answering machine does not have a long greeting because they will hang up, and you will loose the chance of a job right there"...lol ... I was rolling when she addressed the room saying that.

I was there about half a day. You get a number when you come in and you have to wait till they call it, DMV style.

When they call your number all they want to is make sure you have all the paperwork correct. IE DL, SS card, Permit, Abstract (if out of state), Birth certificate or Passport, No gap in employment history, and criminal background in which you must not leave anything out and provide dispositions for each case. At that time if u have any questions asked them. after that they send you to a drug test.

Prodeq: Don't bring your diploma (or ged). They don't ask you for it. If you want to know more, read my posts. Ive been posting about whaty human resources does.

P.S.- after you take your drug test, don't go home and smoke a blunt. They give you antoher test when you go back for your medical. Thats where they get alot of people.

I already did bring my diploma. i mentioned they didnt asked for it. my appointment was yesterday.

chris & dob was rite they are moving quickly thats good

Hey EASF: I will also be taking the exam on April 18th as well. No you don't need to have the dot medical exam done before taking the test. You don't need to have a CDL class B license to take the test. The permit you have is fine for now(you do have the 'P" endorsement on it right?) . They(MTA,TA,etc)prefer if you just have the CDL Permit,so they can train you their way. I am in the process of getting my CDL through a driving school on a school bus,failed the road test a couple of days ago,need more training,will take the road test again next month at a different location. I would prepare for the exam and worry about your CDL afterwards. You will have eneough time to do so.

Hello Locomotion, thank you for the information and clarifications. yes i have my cdl b permit with passenger endorsement. well, i hope to see you on the exam date on april. and good luck your next drive test. see you later. thank you.

EASF: Your in luck. I had the K endorsement on my license as well, because I was 20 when I got my cdl. I NEVER GOT IT REMOVED, AND WHEN I WENT FOR MY MEDICAL THEY DID NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT IT. They give you their own medical, so your ok with that.

To take the test, all you need is a regular license. To get hired, you have to have a license for the last 3 years. SO lets say they call you next march of 2009. If you got your license in march of 2006 or before that date, then your good. The next requirment TO GET HIRED is that you must have a cdl class B permit with Passenger and air-brakes endorsements. That, you could get the day before they call you if you wanted. They don't care. Lastly, you should have NO RESTRICTIONS. What they mean by that; is that you shouldn't have gotten your license suspended for a stupid reason, and things like that. For example you just recieved your license back, coming from a suspension, and you could only drive during the day and not at night. A (K) restriction is fine. As a matter of fact, I remember the fingerprinting lady deleting that off my record.

In terms of getting your cdl license, that would be a smart idea. The only time that comes into play, is after you qualify during training. Let me explain- When you first enter orientation, everyone is equal. It doesn't matter who has, and who doesn't have their cdl license. Some have permits, some have licenses. Everyone gets 10 days to qualify (to become a bus driver for the MTA). Once they qualify, the MTA gives those drivers the OK to drive for the MTA; but guesss what? The state of New York never gave you the right to drive a bus, so now you have to go take your DMV road test. So those with a cdl license that qualify by day 10 of training are free and clear. All they have to do, is just wait till graduation. Those with the cdl permit still have to wait to take their STATE road test.

So if your asking me for a suggestion, I would tell you this. Continue to study a drivers ed manuel. Stay calm, and don't worry about getting your cdl until after you take test #8006. You don't want to overwelm yourself. Especially since you still have about a year till you get called. Sometime during the summer, take about 10 driving lessons on a bus (assuming you have the P and air brakes endorsements).

Lastly, don't panic when you take the test. Your already a step ahead because you found this site. CHEATER!!!! lol Those people taking the test are expecting a dummy test like the sanitation test. Even after you check your answers, and if you get 11 wrong like I did, don't panic. My list # was 825. You should be very proud of yourself that you even made the initiative on your own to go ahead and file for the test. Alot of people our age are unemployed and still "waiting" for that great 100k a year job because they have a bachelors degree. More power to them, but you don't have that. So instead of "waiting" around, you did what you had to do. Congratulations up until this point!

Hi Chris, thank you for your answer. yes i have my cdl class B permit with Passenger and air-brakes endorsements already. i will do that, what you are telling me, its a great advice. ill prepare for my test on April and then after that ill see whats next! :) ... yeah the few of us, that are here in this site are a bit ahead of other (cheaters) hahaha. lol, thanks to you, for your time on posting all you knowledge here and answer the questions that we have . and about people of our age is true most of us are like you said waiting for that wonderful job and wasting time and getting older, so I've decided to and see if i can get ahead in this career. i love driving, and if this doesn't work Im thinking to get the CDL class A license later on for combinations trucks, and all the other, which theres is more opportunities to make more money :D. but lets see how it goes. thank you. cya later!:)

I had that K restriction also, since i got my CDL at 20. Once you turn 21, it automatically goes off, in the system. You will get another license later on, without the restriction.

hi mate, wow i see, now theres 3 of us who got the cdl license at 20 years old. hopefulle that will go away when i turn 21 soon. thanks :D

Apology accepted. (MTA)

hey chris need some info i got my cdl permit when i thought i was getting called for dsny like i told you in my last post for the dsny training i needed air brakes and tanker i got the license through dsny training at floyd bennett feild in bklyn the dsny training is a week long they scheduled the road test for you i passed the road test but did not have a p endorsment i later tried to get a p endorsement when i was going to work for acess a ride i took and passed the written test for the p endorsment but dmv gave me a p endorsment with a n2 restriction meaning i am not allowed to transport no more than 7 passengers and dmv said thats because when i took my road test i took it using s dsny garbage truck and not a bus and they also said that if i wanted to get the full passenger endorsement i would have to take another road test using a bus if thats the case would ta still allow me to use thier trainning course that they offer:confused:

Hello, wanted to know how soon they will be calling. I went down (3/19/08) to 180 Livingston and did paper work and lab. Will they call if you don’t qualify or only if you pass? I also heard that Mabstoa Class 2801 is calling people for March 31, 2008. Is it true that NYS DMV is more lenient on MTA trainees when going for CDL? I love this site. Keep up the good work.

Hello, wanted to know how soon they will be calling. I went down (3/19/08) to 180 Livingston and did paper work and lab. Will they call if you don

Sorry about the last post I just wanted to know what was your random list #? cause mines is 3152 & I'm still waiting for them to send me a letter. Just be glad they wrote u back cause there are people like me still waiting good luck!

Archived