MTA Bus Operations: Deliveries, Moves & Transfers

T J Trainman
Message added by Cait Sith

This TOPIC is strictly for bus deliveries, moves & transfers.

Any discussion related to these moves should be done in the MTA Bus Operations: Fleets and Depots and Bus - Random Thoughts threads.

• Replies 36k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They're still better than those damn RTS buses.  They need to go already.  Horrible/non-existent AC, and boarding takes forever since they aren't low floor buses.

The stories of times I’ve been on those and they broken down, caught fire, or just had to turn off and on to get moving again. 

45 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I'm bummed Quill is getting hand me down "new" buses. If I was them I'd rather wait a few months and get brand new 40 foot buses than LFSs that are a few years old, yeah quill has those XE40s but those will only run on the M42!

Brooklyn is probably going to be getting the hand me downs of the XD60s. So I guess quill isn’t so left out. 

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They're still better than those damn RTS buses.  They need to go already.  Horrible/non-existent AC, and boarding takes forever since they aren't low floor buses.

I'm pretty sure we are all fully aware that these nearly 2 decade old buses annoy you and many others lol. Relax my man. They make up less than 10% of the fleet systemwide. And contrary to popular belief, they are loved much more than they are hated. 

And I guess I just have good luck. I haven't had one with bad AC in at least 4 years, and I ride them much more ofther than the average passenger.

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

I'm bummed Quill is getting hand me down "new" buses. If I was them I'd rather wait a few months and get brand new 40 foot buses than LFSs that are a few years old, yeah quill has those XE40s but those will only run on the M42!

Quill is getting plenty of new buses in the not too distant future. Just give it some time. 

1 hour ago, MHV184 said:

Actually I don't think they will even touch the XDE40 since those orders are meant for ENY and MV.

MV is the only Depot confirmation as of right now. 

210 standard hybrids (10 test pilots included), 10 articulated hybrids, and 5 articulated electric buses are all on the immediate horizon. 

Speculation is surrounding EN, MV, MQ, and QV for standard hybrids, with MQ, and maybe EN, MC, or OH for artics. 

I would also imagine the electric artics would go to a Manhattan crosstown route as previously mentioned.

In 3 years 50 electric buses will be delivered, and and an order for addition artic hybrids would likely go in. 

Word is 1000-1015 could possibly be XDE60's, XE60 or other such as BYD or Nova, and 1 alternative energy bus such as an XHE60 hydrogen-electric hybrid.

As of now Proterra does not have an Electric artic offering, but several agencies are pushing for them to develop one in the near future. BYD and NFI offer them, but none have ended service with any agencies in North America. The first production XE60's are planned for delivery to Boston's MBTA in 2018.

Edited by East New York

2 hours ago, East New York said:

I'm pretty sure we are all fully aware that these nearly 2 decade old buses annoy you and many others lol. Relax my man. They make up less than 10% of the fleet systemwide. And contrary to popular belief, they are loved much more than they are hated. 

And I guess I just have good luck. I haven't had one with bad AC in at least 4 years, and I ride them much more ofther than the average passenger.

Quill is getting plenty of new buses in the not too distant future. Just give it some time. 

210 standard hybrids (10 test pilots included), 10 articulated hybrids, and 5 articulated electric buses are all on the immediate horizon. 

Speculation is surrounding EN, MV, MQ, and QV for standard hybrids, with MQ, and maybe EN, MC, or OH for artics. 

I would also imagine the electric artics would go to a Manhattan crosstown route as previously mentioned.

In 3 years 50 electric buses will be delivered, and and an order for addition artic hybrids would likely go in. 

Word is 1000-1015 could possibly be XDE60's, XE60 or other such as BYD or Nova, and 1 alternative energy bus such as an XHE60 hydrogen-electric hybrid.

As of now Proterra does not have an Electric artic offering, but several agencies are pushing for them to develop one in the near future. BYD and NFI offer them, but none have ended service with any agencies in North America. The first production XE60's are planned for delivery to Boston's MBTA in 2018.

how large is the xd40 order and when will we know how meny busses will go where?

6 hours ago, T J Trainman said:

What is it with you guys bitching  about the RTS? They aren’t all leaving till 2020 at latest. Give it a break already smh. 

No one is really bitching but one person.....and even so, he's entitled to his opinion, just like we are.

6 hours ago, East New York said:

If it's local, then its the M14....if it's SBS, well, they have three to choose from, and the M23 is honestly the perfect test bed for them.

On 12/13/2017 at 3:08 PM, East New York said:

Starting this coming pick the M31 will go to OH and the M86S will go to Quill.

The LFS transfers to Quill are temporary as of right now until the option orders commended. JA is in line to get the new LFS' first.

It appears that Quill could now be in line for some Xcelsiors. It is still unclear at this time where all 20 of the XDE40/60 hybrid test pilots will go. I'm being told they will all be in Manhattan and assignments are not in stone. However, preliminary word is MQ and MV could split the XDE40's or MV get all of them, and the XDE60's to MQ and/or possibly OF. Again the only thing I'm hearing is final is they will all be in Manhattan. EN would be the only candidate from another borough.

I am also being told these buses will have regular fleet numbers as they will be out pilot buses for the next hybrid order for 200 standard buses. Preliminarily we are looking at 6906-6910, but this could change. The first bus or two should now be complete with a handover scheduled for February. 

7483 is a replacement bus that we are just now getting. It is in fact a 2015 unit spec'd as Cait Sith mentioned. The option order will now start at 7484 from what I am being told.

The LFS that starts with 8504, IIRC

34 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

There will still be plenty of 99 RTS at Quill. They ain't going fully away for a while.

The 98 RTSs are indeed gone now. It was good to see Quill operate one without the Hanover and TwinVision.

As Nicholas is mentioning, the 5200-5219 buses have standard Luminators. 5203's gone, but the others are still around.

This reminds me of post-2010, when all the 1998s were at 126th, the 1996s were around the system, and the OGs had just arrived. Quill actually only had 5205-5249 for a period of time, not sure everybody remembers that. 5072-5074 sort of stuck it out, but 5072 left and then it was only 5073-5074 and 45 1999 RTSes only. Hard to believe that was 7 years ago now, when those buses were only 11 years old, same age as the OGs now. The 1998s came back eventually, 5200-5204 came from FB, and scattered buses from elsewhere. The end might not be the end just yet.

Edited by MHV9218

7 minutes ago, Novabus 5000 said:

They still have several with Luminator signs

30 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

There will still be plenty of 99 RTS at Quill. They ain't going fully away for a while.

The 98 RTSs are indeed gone now. It was good to see Quill operate one without the Hanover and TwinVision.

At least they're not all leaving there & it was very enjoyable to see the 1998s there. 

On 12/26/2017 at 7:52 PM, limitednyc said:

how large is the xd40 order and when will we know how meny busses will go where?

Assignments should be finalized and posed 

367 XD40's

5 Allison XDE40's

5 BAE XDE40's

On 12/26/2017 at 11:46 PM, Cait Sith said:

No one is really bitching but one person.....and even so, he's entitled to his opinion, just like we are.

If it's local, then its the M14....if it's SBS, well, they have three to choose from, and the M23 is honestly the perfect test bed for them.

I agree. But it only makes sense in my opinion for them to split them between depots like any other BTE test. Then maybe have dedicated routes for them. Like the M14, M15, M23, M34, M60, B82

7 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

The LFS that starts with 8504, IIRC

Correct. 1st page of this thread has the info and will be updated soon.

6 hours ago, Dannny said:

WHAT?! So now MJQ has no more 1998 rts? And this was the week i wanted to get a pic of the last one they had.

The 52 remaining RTS will eventually wind down, but they will retire out of Quill and another Depot or two and everyone will know. It will be a semi-public event because of the history of MTA with the RTS. It also holds the record of longest lasting GM platorm ever with the Fishbowl almost tying at #2. It hold the record for easiest maintenance by Altoona, and MTA has already stated they are only getting rid of them because the bulkheads are beginning to crack, they are high floor, and the Governor wants them gone. If it were up to DOB they probably would have rebuilt the 94, 96 and 99 batches. Either way a few should stay around for sytem reserve for a while. The last will likely retire out of Quill and EN.

If anyone have ever taken the "Test Your Bus IQ" currently found on buses with Digital Info Screens, you will have noticed a question being "What does RTS stand for?" 

Moves:

0016 to GA

0021 is a infrastructure, manuvering, engineering, and maintenance test bus. This one will go back to Proterra at some point in the near future.

Everyone note I have not updated the first post in this thread because so much has been going on. Buses are all over the place and now we are finally getting some decisions made about what should be going where.

Assignments are being finalized now and will be posted in short order. 

Edited by East New York

14 hours ago, East New York said:

Assignments should be finalized and posed 

367 XD40's

5 Allison XDE40's5 BAE XDE40's

I agr say the total ee. But it only makes sense in my opinion for them to split them between depots like any other BTE test. Then maybe have dedicated routes for them. Like the M14, M15, M23, M34, M60, B82

Correct. 1st page of this thread has the info and will be updated soon.

The 52 remaining RTS will eventually wind down, but they will retire out of Quill and another Depot or two and everyone will know. It will be a semi-public event because of the history of MTA with the RTS. It also holds the record of longest lasting GM platorm ever with the Fishbowl almost tying at #2. It hold the record for easiest maintenance by Altoona, and MTA has already stated they are only getting rid of them because the bulkheads are beginning to crack, they are high floor, and the Governor wants them gone. If it were up to DOB they probably would have rebuilt the 94, 96 and 99 batches. Either way a few should stay around for sytem reserve for a while. The last will likely retire out of Quill and EN.

If anyone have ever taken the "Test Your Bus IQ" currently found on buses with Digital Info Screens, you will have noticed a question being "What does RTS stand for?" 

Moves:

0016 to GA

0021 is a infrastructure, manuvering, engineering, and maintenance test bus. This one will go back to Proterra at some point in the near future.

Everyone note I have not updated the first post in this thread because so much has been going on. Buses are all over the place and now we are finally getting some decisions made about what should be going where.

Assignments are being finalized now and will be posted in short order. 

thank you why does ttmg have the total order being 408 xd40's