MTA Bus Operations: Deliveries, Moves & Transfers

T J Trainman
Message added by Cait Sith

This TOPIC is strictly for bus deliveries, moves & transfers.

Any discussion related to these moves should be done in the MTA Bus Operations: Fleets and Depots and Bus - Random Thoughts threads.

Again, when Cold Weather Plans have been put into play at the highest level, buses have been pulled from storage to depots that needed them, and massive shifts from SI to Manhattan, etc., have occurred. The other week we saw LGA receive a bunch of 1996s back from storage, while a few winters ago Yukon covered TU's artic routes with Quill and MTV. It's not beyond the pale to have almost a majority of 40-footers running.

• Replies 36k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Again, when Cold Weather Plans have been put into play at the highest level, buses have been pulled from storage to depots that needed them, and massive shifts from SI to Manhattan, etc., have occurred. The other week we saw LGA receive a bunch of 1996s back from storage, while a few winters ago Yukon covered TU's artic routes with Quill and MTV. It's not beyond the pale to have almost a majority of 40-footers running.

There are not that many buses in storage that can be pulled out at a moments notice.  The have to be reactivated following maintenance work.   LGA got all of 5 buses out of storage.  And these were hardly in storage for a month so they were good to go.

Again, it has all to do what the day of the week is which will determine how many artics will run. Many depots in  Manhattan and the Bronx are primarily articulated.  If 40'ers were borrowed from elsewhere, those depots would be very short.  

Check this link

https://sites.google.com/site/nycbuses/

21 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

In the past this was done by pulling buses from SI, but I guess they didn't wanna go through the effort. Already looking stupid after the collision on camera out in Queens with the Q10 XD60 though.

That wasn’t a Q10.. that was 5434 on the Q111 headed towards Hillside which tapped a Q6 

7 hours ago, JFK Depot said:

As for the 5200s in Jamaica.. haven’t seen ANY out on the roads yet... just checked bustime as of 1:22pm every route Jamaica has NO 5200s on the road at all

5200 and 5201 ran this morning. Possible they're doing some prepping, but they're out.

3 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Unconfirmed.... 9215 to MV.......

I wish! The cold streak means we could see some loans to MV in the next few days depending on how the lead acid batteries on the OGs/NGs hold up, but those would probably be local loans, not 1996 MTAB RTSes...

--

9071 back to ECH from LGA as of a couple days ago.

3 hours ago, Calvin said:

Just a reminder that on Sunday, January 8th, Tuskegee will swap their SBS Novas  with the M86 SBS and 40 footers with the M31 from MJQ. 

Thanks for the reminder, just a heads up Sunday is January 7th, not the 8th.

10 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

5200 and 5201 ran this morning. Possible they're doing some prepping, but they're out.

Until I see some pics of them out there in Jamaica is when I’ll believe it... right now I just Don’t believe it yet... I’ve see ALL the other newbies from Quill... just not those yet 

5 hours ago, JFK Depot said:

Until I see some pics of them out there in Jamaica is when I’ll believe it... right now I just Don’t believe it yet... I’ve see ALL the other newbies from Quill... just not those yet 

Cosigning with MHV9218.....5180, 5200 and 5201 saw service yesterday. 5201 also saw service on the 3rd with 5198 and 5199.

13 minutes ago, Novabus 5000 said:

-5178, 5189 EC to Grand

-5204-5206 MQ to FP

-5207, 5208 MQ to Grand

-5209-5212 MQ to FB

-As for the 8073-8089 LFS swap, the only unit that has not been transferred is 8085. The swap is also  8072-8089, not 8073. 

Will MQ get anything back or are these Rts moves just loans?

3 minutes ago, R179 8258 said:

Looks like the MTA wants to retire those RTS in Brooklyn

what's happened throughout history is that DOB in their "infinite" wisdom has always sent the oldest/high(est) mileage RTS' to brooklyn after a certain point.. and in more recent history, the DOB usually "rewards" brooklyn division with new(er) buses with the next bus purchase order.

case in point, when i attended Roy H. Mann JHS in the 90's, i remember vividly the old 37xx/38xx series RTS' rolling down utica avenue headed for flatbush depot, all former Gun Hill buses.. later on Flatbush was awarded the 93xx/94xx RTS' and subsequently some 52xx's as well.

similar thing happened prior to the 38xx/39xx NG's coming to the bush... and yet again when artics and the 73xx New Fliers showed up.. nothing but POS RTS' in the yard from everywhere else (ulmer, two-six, etc)

brooklyn has historically been the boro buses come to die, at least in my lifetime