R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

3 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

well they have to figure out something because as more people take the subway, that leads to more crowding. (MTA) is at fault because they're doing nothing to protect the workers. They can't keep running the (L) the way its running. during the peak hours it was SRO. If an Emergency happens and the train is packed with people, they are gonna risk catching the virus regardless. This is why they need to run 90% service if there's enough crew.

I suggested they run these as 10 car trains on the (G) and isolate 4 cars the front,back and 2 middle cars and use 6 cars out of 10.

I've taken the subway recently during the peak hours and it was SRO on lines like the (A)(J)(Z) lines and (L) during the evening. every car on the (A) had SRO.

nobody see that the more the trains are packed the higher the chance of catching the virus. when the virus was at its peak, they should have shut the system down for a week or two.

nobody wants a repeat of that, You have plenty of people going back to work plus out door dining will reopen and retail stores would allow people to come into stores again during Phase 2. Most people (Low Income people) are gonna use the system to get where they got to go.

Im NOT saying ridership will be going back to normal. But With the current service pattern, Some lines need normal service to make sure people can be spread out. ENY is the only yard that's short since the R179's make up half the (J) line. If they were to put the R32's back in service, They would only need 3-5 sets at most for the time being.

What is an SRO?

According to the MTA ridership is expected to increase up to 40% during phase 2. They mentioned this in a webinar on AMNY.

https://www.amny.com/news/transit-news/mta-expects-majority-rebound-in-ridership-by-the-end-of-phase-iv-reopening/

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

well they have to figure out something because as more people take the subway, that leads to more crowding. (MTA) is at fault because they're doing nothing to protect the workers. They can't keep running the (L) the way its running. during the peak hours it was SRO. If an Emergency happens and the train is packed with people, they are gonna risk catching the virus regardless. This is why they need to run 90% service if there's enough crew.

It's worth noting that train crowding leading to COVID for passengers is not actually a known risk.

Japan and Paris, both of which have extremely high levels of train commuting and also extremely high levels of crowding, have not had a single case of COVID traced back to transit. This is most likely because passengers do not stick around each other long enough to contract COVID in a meaningful way, and Japan also is used to extensive mask wearing.

Edited by bobtehpanda

6 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

It's worth noting that train crowding leading to COVID for passengers is not actually a known risk.

Japan and Paris, both of which have extremely high levels of train commuting and also extremely high levels of crowding, have not had a single case of COVID traced back to transit. This is most likely because passengers do not stick around each other long enough to contract COVID in a meaningful way, and Japan also is used to extensive mask wearing.

there's a difference though, Here we have self centered a**holes who don't want to wear a mask vs those countries. that's the issue, if people here weren't so selfish then it could work and we could reduce spread.

33 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I just seen an R179 go into ENY maintenance shop, hopefully this is a sign that things are moving forward to bring the cars back into service.

Saw it from far away (the (L) train platform) but I kinda could see the trucks to know it was an R179.

they been in the shops since they took them OOS, It's probably a normal inspection

On 6/17/2020 at 5:53 PM, R32 3838 said:

I suggested they run these as 10 car trains on the (G) and isolate 4 cars the front,back and 2 middle cars and use 6 cars out of 10.

I've taken the subway recently during the peak hours and it was SRO on lines like the (A)(J)(Z) lines and (L) during the evening. every car on the (A) had SRO.

nobody see that the more the trains are packed the higher the chance of catching the virus. when the virus was at its peak, they should have shut the system down for a week or two.

nobody wants a repeat of that, You have plenty of people going back to work plus out door dining will reopen and retail stores would allow people to come into stores again during Phase 2. Most people (Low Income people) are gonna use the system to get where they got to go.

Im NOT saying ridership will be going back to normal. But With the current service pattern, Some lines need normal service to make sure people can be spread out. ENY is the only yard that's short since the R179's make up half the (J) line. If they were to put the R32's back in service, They would only need 3-5 sets at most for the time being.

Did they fix the broken one the ones on got split on the A train at chambers street back in June 3 2020 because they need it get it done to repair the broken one that was came off each other the link bar on the chains between train cars that needs to be fix.

On 6/17/2020 at 2:30 AM, Rigojefte Galo said:

What's difference between R179 and R142 there both made from bombardier how come the R179 has problem and not R142 because R142 never had a problem is made in 2000 and R179 is made 2016 as became a lemon issue I'm hoping they repair the issue problem soon. 

The R142s definitely had problems. They spent much of 2001 and early 2002 in and out of service due to mechanical problems. If memory serves me well, it wasn’t until the second half of 2002 that they were able to get the R142s to operate in service regularly.

On 6/17/2020 at 2:33 AM, MysteriousBtrain said:

R142s did have problems. They were fixed rather quickly and became the best cars in today's fleet. The R179s are gonna go through a similar process in due time and these trains won't be considered a lemon anymore.

Compared to the R179s, maybe so. The (2) and (5) were my home lines in 2001-03. For much of that time (most of 2001 and the first half of 2002), the R142s kept getting sidelined and I felt like the Rustbirds were going to be in service forever. Of course, the problems got resolved and R142s rule the roost on the (2) and (5) and half of the (4) and are now one of Transit’s most reliable fleets. They certainly have come a long way. The R179s can do the same. 

On 6/19/2020 at 7:03 PM, R32 3838 said:

they been in the shops since they took them OOS, It's probably a normal inspection

The R179 made from  bombardier also had a door problem back in January 2020 just like R142A made from Kawasaki had a door problem back in 2018 and R142A was repair a new door motor and R179 was repair door motor too back in January 2020.

1 hour ago, Rigojefte Galo said:

The R179 made from  bombardier also had a door problem back in January 2020 just like R142A made from Kawasaki had a door problem back in 2018 and R142A was repair a new door motor and R179 was repair door motor too back in January 2020.

Keep in mind door (motor) hardware is made by sub-contractors.  So directly blaming Bombardier or Kawasaki for that is unfair as they put all the parts in as delivered by the sub-contractors.  Naturally these parts are first tested, but it's a whole new ballgame when these parts undergo the rigors of NYCT operations: used 24/7; passengers abusing door motors by holding the doors; temperature changes, etc.

On 6/21/2020 at 11:15 AM, Rigojefte Galo said:

what happened with the R142As is 2018? I never remember them being sidelined.

13 hours ago, happy283 said:

what happened with the R142As is 2018? I never remember them being sidelined.

6 hours ago, Rigojefte Galo said:

R142A had a door problem because the old door motor is not working some of the train so they updated the new door motor just like it happens on the R179 door problem. 

That’s interesting. I don’t remember them being sidelined in 2018 either. This door problem was probably something they could resolve without having to remove the entire fleet from service. 

The R142A didn't get sidelined in 2018, I doubt Jerome has enough Bombardier 142s to make rush hour service without using the 142A's. We would have heard of trains from other yards being being transferred to Jerome while the 142A's were out. When the 142s had their problems in the mid 2000s, the (2) got some 142A's and the (4) got some 62A's to help those yards make service. Even then, there was Bombardier 142s still running throughout  the whole ordeal.

Perhaps the doors were the leading cause of failure on the 142A's and that bought the MDBF down, but I seriously doubt the entire fleet was sidelined in 2018.

12 hours ago, Rigojefte Galo said:

When the R179 will return soon is been 23 days ago when it will come back?

I guess that since ridership is still low, the MTA is not in a big hurry to put the r179's back in service. It does make sense for the MTA to take advantage of the low ridership to meticulously inspect all r179's.

Lets be patient. The r179's will most likely be back in service some time next month when ridership will be much higher than it is now.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983