R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

It depends on ridership. I doubt that they will run all 8 sets. Probably, they will keep some r32's as spares. We'll have to wait and see on Wednesday. 

Also, the MTA didn't provide info on what protocols would be used to protect conductors on the r32's since they have to be switching cars.

Maybe they might run the six (Z) trips as R32s (or actually only five of them) since they only make one full round trip (starting from Broadway Junction up to Jamaica, down to Broad St, up to Broadway junction, then to the yard during the morning, and starting from Broadway Junction down to Broad St, up to Jamaica, and then down to Broadway Junction in the afternoon). One of the (Z) trips Actually remains in (J) service for the rest of the day.

Also, prior to the R179s, only a maximum of 40-48 R42s were needed to fill in the (J)(Z) fleet while using otherwise R160s (112-120 cars)

Edited by darkstar8983

3 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

You are new person on this board, correct?  Or you could be a person who used to be here and left, either by your own volition or could have been terminated by a moderator and you are making a comeback under another "name".  I'm not accusing or making any conclusions, just giving the genesis on how we get new posters..  I say all this because you have a small number of posts.

I think it's that @bwwnyc123 brat again... <_<

2 hours ago, RapidoNewLook said:

@Bill from Maspeth Do you know how the (MTA) worked it out with the union to get the R32s running?

The union did not want them running.  Period.  Since the R32's are supposed to be running Wed. July 1 as per newspaper reports, I suppose the union lost their "appeal".  If they went to an arbitrator IDK. Maybe the union just expressed their concerns and transit is blocking off the front of the cabs to the satisfaction of the union, IDK.  But management has a lot of power.  For example if the union does not like a new work program ( jobs/schedules the workers pick) they can complain all they want, but management has the final say.  The union has given up a lot in RTO for recent contracts.  "If you give this and that up you get your raise" .  RTO gives it up and the fruits go to every TWU represented worker in the company.   Train Operators and Conductors always vote "NO" on contracts.

There's a lot of politics involved with unions anyway.  But no matter how much the workers are disenfranchised with their union (any union) "A lousy union is better than no union".  You young ones will realize this someday.  My advice: never work for a company that has a lot of workers with no union.  I did before transit.  A bank, and the company treated us like sh**, worse than TWU would ever do.  That's the problem with Amazon.  All the company needs to hear or see some guy is trying to organize one, he'll get fired with some trumped up BS charges.   But I'm getting too far off topic......

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

3 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Maybe they might run the six (Z) trips as R32s (or actually only five of them) since they only make one full round trip (starting from Broadway Junction up to Jamaica, down to Broad St, up to Broadway junction, then to the yard during the morning, and starting from Broadway Junction down to Broad St, up to Jamaica, and then down to Broadway Junction in the afternoon). One of the (Z) trips Actually remains in (J) service for the rest of the day.

Also, prior to the R179s, only a maximum of 40-48 R42s were needed to fill in the (J)(Z) fleet while using otherwise R160s (112-120 cars)

The 8:20 (J) to Jamaica from Broad must deadhead to ENY once it arrives in Jamaica. I railfanned the (J) the other day and that set did not return but the train after it did. Using 112-120 R160s instead of  the usual 88 could leave no spare of R160s which they may not want to do. I also wouldnt be surprised if 1-2 R143s also made an appearence. As far as the R32, all 6  (Z) trips will probably have R32s leaving the NTTs for the (J). If in the event one (Z) trip stays all day, maybe an R32 will just operate the line all day if they dont have other equipment available.

17 minutes ago, happy283 said:

The 8:20 (J) to Jamaica from Broad must deadhead to ENY once it arrives in Jamaica. I railfanned the (J) the other day and that set did not return but the train after it did. Using 112-120 R160s instead of  the usual 88 could leave no spare of R160s which they may not want to do. I also wouldnt be surprised if 1-2 R143s also made an appearence. As far as the R32, all 6  (Z) trips will probably have R32s leaving the NTTs for the (J). If in the event one (Z) trip stays all day, maybe an R32 will just operate the line all day if they dont have other equipment available.

ENY will have 7+ trains worth of R32's so 1 or 2 might run all day

6 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

You are new person on this board, correct?  Or you could be a person who used to be here and left, either by your own volition or could have been terminated by a moderator and you are making a comeback under another "name".  I'm not accusing or making any conclusions, just giving the genesis on how we get new posters..  I say all this because you have a small number of posts.

Allow me to introduce myself.  I am a retired NYCT train operator and I did that for 33+ years with my first 14 months as a conductor.  I have been retired for almost 6 1/2 years.  I remain friends with many in transit and speak with them often so I know what's going on in their area.  Because of this, I know how the company structure works from experience. 

Now for everybody else here who may need this tutorial:  Working for transit is akin for working in the military, except you go home every night.  There is a rule book that applies to every employee in transit.  For Rapid Transit Operations there are General Orders, there are Bulletins;  there are Notices; there are Mandatory Compliance Directives.  Each department has these (except General Orders), and there are many departments in transit.  Is that military enough?  When the Bulletin or Notice came out in regards to the R179's being taken out of service it was very simple.  THE CARS ARE OUT OF SERVICE TILL FURTHER NOTICE.  Period.  No questions asked.  Now you guys can ask questions as to when they're coming back, speculate all you want, hope all you want, but as far as transit is concerned, there is a different department involved and when they return, the cars go to Car Equipment Dept. who in turn gives them back to Rapid  Transit Operations. That is when the cars will be back on the road. 

Nobody in transit knows when the cars will be back.  There are a lot of executive discussions and consultants involved here.  The MILITARY EQUIVALENT OF ALL THE 4 STAR GENERALS IN DISCUSSION BEHIND CLOSED DOORS.  When the OK comes from them  to run the cars again the various OK's come down the pipeline from department to department thru the "Captains" and "Lieutenants" of the various departments.  Don't forget, MTA AND NYCT are involved here.  That OK could come down tomorrow, it could come down July 1; or 15; or 30, or any day in between.  Same for August, September......  Nobody knows because the cars are OUT OF SERICE TILL FURTHER NOTICE.  I hope I accurately explained what further notice means.  

I get it I'm so sorry about that but it takes time until further notice and I agree I'm am genius I'm also a smart guy but I'm not smart enough but I think about what's going on by the way is all good. 

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

ENY will have 7+ trains worth of R32's so 1 or 2 might run all day

Assuming all cars run at any given time. Probably not under 6 trains per day would be my guess. Some extras could be just as a spare. Only time will tell.

1 hour ago, Rigojefte Galo said:

I get it I'm so sorry about that but it takes time until further notice and I agree I'm am genius I'm also a smart guy but I'm not smart enough but I think about what's going on by the way is all good. 

This sounds like what Trump had to say when asked about his plans for his second term...

8 hours ago, happy283 said:

When the MTA did the summer swap of the R46s to the (C) and R32s and R42s to the (A) in 2012, the assignments only left 16 R42s for the (J) and 144 R160s, so it is entirely possible that they just use a few more R160s and reduce the spare factor.

and its definitely possible that some of the (L)s R143s that are “spares” or have CBTC compatibility issues can be used on the (J) so they don’t just sit there in the yard

7 hours ago, Rigojefte Galo said:

I'm not sure if you are on acid or if you are generally like this...

11 hours ago, Rigojefte Galo said:

Nobody with a modicum of intelligence would know it by reading this entire post of yours....

After all that information that @Bill from Maspeth laid out there, part of your reaction was to blurt out that you're a smart guy? Raging insecurities, I swear.....

13 hours ago, happy283 said:

Why must "the 8:20 J to Jamaica from Broad must deadhead to ENY once it arrives in Jamaica,"....? Perhaps that train is the gap train that lays up to a tail track at Jamaica Center according to the dispatchers 24 hour disposition.  Maybe the one after it that you said went to the yard was a bad ordered train so the 8:20 remained in service that day.  The reason why I say this is because they usually keep at least one train laid up on a tail track as a gap train during the day.  In the afternoon that train comes out with Z signs and makes all stops to Broad and comes back as a Z skip stop.  Gap train meaning in case of late arriving railroad or defective train coming in they have a spare train till the rush hour starts. 

13 hours ago, Rigojefte Galo said:

do you actually understand what he is saying in his post? because the tone you are portraying in your post here points to the contrary...

Edited by Coney Island Av