R179 Discussion Thread

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

An update on the programming issues for the R179:

One of my T/O friends tested the (J) program on 3010 this week and it did not have the (C) 's next stop announcement and instead used the default one found on the (J) .

I have no clue what if this is intentional or not but I'm guessing it's a program glitch because the TOD software lags like crazy when the Next Stop cycle is requested, hence that long pause between announcements.

The lag between the doors opening and the "This is a ..." is also atrocious.  Thankfully these coding issues can easily be fixed in-house.

1 hour ago, bstar1 said:

When they going to start testing them on (C) line?

Once 3058-3065 passes the 30-day revenue test, the other trains can start service and the production cars can start being accepted.  At that point, I would imagine it won't be long before 3010-3019 and 3050-3057 go into service on the (A) and (C) respectively.

3 hours ago, LGA Link N train said:

Did the MTA complain to Bombardier about this??

Why would the MTA complain to Bombardier if the MTA are the ones who outline the specifications?  The issue with the bonnet, if it is an issue, is 100% the MTA's responsibility.  The carbuilder's job is to meet the MTA's design specifications and guidelines.  It's because Bombardier didn't meet the MTA's standards initially that we got into this mess in the first place.  And as Lance and others have said, the timing of the issue coming to light really bizarre and reeks of TWU being opportunists with all the R179 issues.

8 hours ago, Lance said:

A reminder: the 142s had similar teething issues when they first arrived back in 2000. If I recall correctly, they couldn't make it a couple of days before being taken out of service during their initial testing phase. Of course, these cars have since proven their worth time and again by being one of the most reliable car fleets of the past decade. I wouldn't be so quick to throw in the towel just yet on these cars.

Im glad I'm not the only one that recognizes this fact. Especially since I'm already fond of it. I'm rooting for history to repeat. 

9 hours ago, paulrivera said:

Are the 8-car unit and the 10-car unit considered separate for the purpose of the 30 day test? 

No, it’s just one test-car for the entire fleet that needs to go 30 consecutive days. I’d assume when the R211’s come in, they might need to do two separate tests for the standard R211 and the articulated one. 

The train will return to service tomorrow, according to this daily news article

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/subway-newest-740m-train-breaks-day-article-1.3652468

“The testing process involves putting cars into service and routinely reviewing their performance,” MTA spokesman Shams Tarek said. “This testing will continue on Friday and we’re looking forward to fully deploying these trains

Edited by trainfan22

Glad to see these subway cars in service, however some of you are going nuts over things that will eventually be handled in a timely manner. Not sure if some of you read or can read but go back in history to the R-46's when they were constantly being pulled from service several times a week for cracks in their trucks a design flaw by Pullman during the first few years of service, obviously they aren't plagued with that issue anymore but look where the 46's are now 43 years later. 

The recent issue with the door chime and announcement delay issue, if you ride the R-142 or R-142A's sometimes the door chime goes off without the doors moving I've seen it for the past 16 years of riding those trains on the (2) and (4) . Another sometimes the announcement plays before the doors open(in a certain section of the train), or vice versa the announcements continue to play while the doors are open because they havent finished yet(ie. 59th St). 

Every subway car has their issue,iirc the R-143's had a very successful test and just a few years ago weren't some units moving a few inches while doors were opened in the station. Just need to chill they'll be fine and around into the next part of the century.

3 hours ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

Anyone know what time it'll be out on its first run tomorrow?

Not trying to offend your comment, I’m somewhat curious as well, but does it really matter? I’d guess around the same time it started on Sunday, but honestly, it really doesn’t make a difference after it’s first go-around last week. 

2 minutes ago, R42N said:

Not trying to offend your comment, I’m somewhat curious as well, but does it really matter? I’d guess around the same time it started on Sunday, but honestly, it really doesn’t make a difference after it’s first go-around last week. 

It doesn't matter, I wanted to see if there was a very strong chance of it showing up on the (Z) tomorrow but whatever

1 minute ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

It doesn't matter, I wanted to see if there was a very strong chance of it showing up on the (Z) tomorrow but whatever

Yeah, that’s a good question. 

I’ll probably be somewhere along Nassau Street tomorrow evening for the entire (Z) train departure bank between 4:55 and 5:45 to catch it. 

I'm just curious, is the "announcement lag" an issue involving the train set from properly operating in a timely manner? or are you guys/gals(buffs) making a deal out of it because it doesn't meet your needs for loading/unloading time?

If its the second option just chill, we've all taken the subway during rush hour and some stations the doors stay open longer than usual for reasons of crowds, train connections, someone holding doors, or a train being held etc, but it seems as if this delay is accounting for an additional 5-15 seconds( being generous) per station please correct me if I'm wrong shouldn't be an issue. As for as the announcement lag the situation can be adjusted by the C/R making announcements the old fashioned way until the "delay" is handled.

2 hours ago, 2 Train Master said:

I'm just curious, is the "announcement lag" an issue involving the train set from properly operating in a timely manner? or are you guys/gals(buffs) making a deal out of it because it doesn't meet your needs for loading/unloading time?

If its the second option just chill, we've all taken the subway during rush hour and some stations the doors stay open longer than usual for reasons of crowds, train connections, someone holding doors, or a train being held etc, but it seems as if this delay is accounting for an additional 5-15 seconds( being generous) per station please correct me if I'm wrong shouldn't be an issue. As for as the announcement lag the situation can be adjusted by the C/R making announcements the old fashioned way until the "delay" is handled.

Thank you and I agree. I don't see the big deal with the "announcement lag", if there is any. In fact, I see this beneficial, especially during rush hour.

I think  it's a  bigger priority to fix the mechanical issues that are affecting the r179's. 

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Thank you and I agree. I don't see the big deal with the "announcement lag", if there is any. In fact, I see this beneficial, especially during rush hour.

I think  it's a  bigger priority to fix the mechanical issues that are affecting the r179's. 

That, and AAS software issues are the easiest thing to fix.  When the R160s first starting running, the AAS was horribly unreliable and froze all the time.

28 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Here's a few of my photos from earlier today.

23795126_394853057614834_382505292930603

23905666_394853507614789_355880119255279

23843336_394853910948082_310757363838094

Looks like the R179’s bullet is easier to photograph. The R160 is totally patchy (circle in-complete, letter grainy) with a camera during the day.