R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

3 hours ago, Bosco said:

IIRC, Alstom was part of the joint venture that worked on the R68s, but I'm not sure about their involvement.  Alstom had also made the propulsion system for the R142s, so they've been involved with the MTA for a bit.  What I meant to say was that the R160A was the first rail car that Alstom built on their own.

Ahh. Gooootcha

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Bosco said:

IIRC, Alstom was part of the joint venture that worked on the R68s, but I'm not sure about their involvement.  Alstom had also made the propulsion system for the R142s, so they've been involved with the MTA for a bit.  What I meant to say was that the R160A was the first rail car that Alstom built on their own.

Jeumont-Schneider was the company involved in the R68 which was purchased by Alsthom. 
The R160 shells were built by Alstom in Brazil, which was once known as Mafersa. They were a fairly prominent shell manufacturer prior to being bought by Alstom. They built the shells for either the M4 or M6 Metro North fleet (I forget which), along with many others. 

2 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Is it just me or did that update make the door chime on the R179s a bit faster?

Haven't been on it so I can't say.  What I do know is that the R179s had the original NTT chimes (used on the R142s and unconverted R142As), which are a little slower but clearer than the ones on the R143/R160/R188.  Regardless of the chime, starting with the second attempt, they updated the software to remove the one second delay between the door chime and the doors closing so that they work similar to the R160 now.

5 hours ago, VIP said:

Strange how the R179’s don’t have the “new controllers” like the R160’s and I wonder if all the other R179 cars would have the end seats or not... considering this is an “upgraded” R160.

... wut...

The 179 combined throttle/brake handle is of a newer design, same as the one used in the 188s. The end-seat removal on the R160 is an in-house project, and has no bearing on the as-delivered spec of the 179s.

Train is getting more bad publicity in the media, they even used the L word.

Congratulations, MTA: You’re the proud owners of more than two dozen high-priced lemons.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority has 26 new subway cars that cost taxpayer about $2 million each. The models, known as the R179, are desperately needed to replace cars in the MTA’s aging fleet. The average age of the subway fleet is 22 years old.

But the new car failed its first major test carrying passengers on the J line in Brooklyn and Queens. In fact, eight-car test trains were pulled from the tracks three times in less than two weeks since its Nov. 19 debut — dumping riders onto station platforms along the way.

The third mishap for the model forced the MTA to suspend the 30-day passenger test cycle for nearly a week, threatening to further delay the delivery of train cars from Bombardier that is already two years behind schedule.

While MTA officials at the time believed it was a solid choice to award Montreal-based Bombardier a $600 million, 300-car contract in March 2012, it has proven to be a manufacturing mess from the beginning.

Instead of wrapping up the contract by January 2017, it is now set to be complete by December 2018. Bombardier is now barred from bidding on a $3 billion contract for a future model set to be delivered by 2023.

“These cars aren’t doing real well and we have a problem,” MTA board member Andrew Albert said.

Link to rest of article:  http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/mta-newest-fleet-2m-subway-cars-face-crippling-mishap-article-1.3688782