R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

< hope the (MTA) can let the R179's replace all the R32's.>

There will far too few R179's to get rid of all the R32's. 260 R179's in 4 car sets cannot replace 50 R42 + 222 R32, then there's the return of the W train, and general growth everywhere. I also have my doubts all the R44's will last long enough for the SI version of the R211, and may have to send a few R46's or R68's there as triage. Their bodies are shoot. Look at the body jobs along the edges of the roofs and stainless plates capping corners of the doorways on the outside.

This has been said to death in many version of the discussion in the past, it's funny. Knowing the (MTA), by now apparently, they'll make them last. And half of the 68As and a majority of 160s are, in my opinion, enough for the W, maybe a quarter of the 68A fleet amount....

Take this with a grain of salt, but the R179's are suppose to be here by the end of this week according to a employee.

I'd rather wait until photos come arise before taking it to mind. Employee or not, we can wait and see for sure.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

And regarding technology, it would be a lot cheaper if the TA just realized they could still build cars with rollsigns and SMEE braking.  Computers are not essential to a train's design- functionality is.  Cast-iron brakes are more fundamental than FIND displays.  You won't see an R62 get taken out of service because a systems monitor got gunked up with steel dust.

But then you'll get the foamers on the site complaining about how the cars are not worthy of being run in the 21st century.

Edited by ttcsubwayfan

But then you'll get the foamers on the site complaining about how the cars are not worthy of being run in the 21st century.

Non non non. Those so-called foamers would be right. Advances in technology that make the riding experience more pleasant for the customers. Hell, the only reason that the R62/A and R68/A fleets went back to an earlier design was because of the failures in the R44s and R46 classes. With extensive testing being done these days, there's no longer a need to backtrack. Sure, it would be cheaper. But economy and quality are not synonymous.

Sent from my N9132 using Tapatalk

FIND displays and on board computers are nice to have, but the vehicle isn't any less functional because it doesn't have them.

Look at how many people b*tch about the R62 and R68 classes even though they provide just as good service as the NTTs do.

Quality. They may provide the same level of service, but the customer experience is nowhere near the same.

I fail to see how the presence of a bunch of flashing signs enhances the passenger experience all that much, but whatever. I don't really care if they went back to SMEE brakes and rollsigns, I'm just saying that even if they wanted to, as R10 2952 implied, they couldn't get away with doing so, because every cry baby on the internet would never let us hear the end of it.

I fail to see how the presence of a bunch of flashing signs enhances the passenger experience all that much, but whatever. I don't really care if they went back to SMEE brakes and rollsigns, I'm just saying that even if they wanted to, as R10 2952 implied, they couldn't get away with doing so, because every cry baby on the internet would never let us hear the end of it.

Politicians and citizens would complain. It's basic psychology. Im not going to explain because I explained similar things to death when it came to the new bus features and paint jobs.

But again, Quality.

Edited by LTA1992

I'm sorry but the FIND displays, clear automated announcements and the next stop signs are virtual requirements in a 21st century subway car, and I'm honestly shocked that people here are advocating to order cars without them.

The world is constantly changing. Don't let it pass you by.

Edited by Around the Horn

I can agree with automated announcements and next stop signs, which are essential due to the fact that transit riders may be deaf or blind, but what does the FIND display offer that a strip map, or a regular subway map didn't?

Don't get me wrong, I think technology is cool and the FIND is a neat machine, but I fail to see how it's essential.

I can agree with automated announcements and next stop signs, which are essential due to the fact that transit riders may be deaf or blind, but what does the FIND display offer that a strip map, or a regular subway map didn't?

Don't get me wrong, I think technology is cool and the FIND is a neat machine, but I fail to see how it's essential.

TBH I was lumping in strip maps with the FINDs in that post, but the FIND's do have an advantage over strip maps because you have the ability to change on the fly and you can literally put up any route at any time.

TBH I was lumping in strip maps with the FINDs in that post, but the FIND's do have an advantage over strip maps because you have the ability to change on the fly and you can literally put up any route at any time.

Thats one reason I think the R142s should get them when it's time for their overhaul. How many times do we hear about the (2) going via the (5) when there are delays on 7th Ave? Or vice versa for the Lex? You get people (tourists) on a (2) train trying to go to say, CPN-110th and their train gets rerouted onto the Lex, they'll stay on well into the Bronx before they realize what's going on.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I guess you could say that about most digital destination signs. I'm still of the mind that they are nice to haves, rather than essential though. We managed for years and years with rollsigns and strip maps. Again, I'm not knocking digital signs, I think they are very cool, but I'm not so sure I subscribe to the idea that we couldn't get by without them.

Perhaps we could, but you wouldn't be able to sell the idea of shifting back to trains without those modern amenities. We live in the 21st century. Most people expect these kind of modern conveniences. Part of the reason why people bemoan the older cars is due to a lack of these amenities. People like to know what stop is coming up and whether the train they're on will stop at their desired station. While looking at a map and listening to garbled conductor announcements were accepted years ago, that is not the case in today's fast paced world.

Another thing to consider is that these electronic signs are mandated to comply with the ADA laws that call for clear audio/visual announcements and displays for all new trains/buses.

Also, it's not like these add-ons are breaking the bank. The technology has gotten considerably cheaper over the years and will continue to do so as time goes by. Sure, the MTA could've slapped strip maps on the 160s, as it was originally intended. Of course, they would've been useless unless the trains ran on the A C N or W lines, which is why they decided to go with the FIND system for more flexibility.

On a side note, as to the 142s receiving FINDs, what's the point? Unlike the 160s, the 142s and 188s do not really shift away from their home yards, which only maintain one line's fleet for the most part. Now this is an unnecessary expense.

On a side note, as to the 142s receiving FINDs, what's the point? Unlike the 160s, the 142s and 188s do not really shift away from their home yards, which only maintain one line's fleet for the most part. Now this is an unnecessary expense.

I'd rather look at a FIND display instead of that hard to understand (2) / (5) strip map. For the roughly 680 cars on the (2) / (5) i think its worth it.

Edited by Around the Horn

Thats one reason I think the R142s should get them when it's time for their overhaul. How many times do we hear about the (2) going via the (5) when there are delays on 7th Ave? Or vice versa for the Lex? You get people (tourists) on a (2) train trying to go to say, CPN-110th and their train gets rerouted onto the Lex, they'll stay on well into the Bronx before they realize what's going on.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

They installed those new strip maps that have Lexington and 7th avenue stops, the 142's are fine as is.

Quality. They may provide the same level of service, but the customer experience is nowhere near the same.

He's probably never rode the stretch from Franklin Avenue to Nevins Street on the Eastern Parkway local to make that comment about the R62's and R142's. That stretch has so many timers, curves and sudden stops  the R142's make the ride so much more enjoyable than a R62. It goes beyond Flashy lights and signs, better suspension and and curved seats are just some of the many factors that improve the ride quality.

They installed those new strip maps that have Lexington and 7th avenue stops, the 142's are fine as is.

He's probably never rode the stretch from Franklin Avenue to Nevins Street on the Eastern Parkway local to make that comment about the R62's and R142's. That stretch has so many timers, curves and sudden stops  the R142's make the ride so much more enjoyable than a R62. It goes beyond Flashy lights and signs, better suspension and and curved seats are just some of the many factors that improve the ride quality.

You're comparing the suspension of a 30 year old train and a 15 year old train. You are right that I have never been on the Eastern Parkway line, so the R142s may be more comfortable, but that could easily be from the fact that the R62s are twice as old as the R142s. You see the R32s now and see a bunch of bucking broncos, but they didn't have to be when they first debuted. Maybe the R62s did have shittier suspension, obviously I can't know that for a fact, but in order to get an objective comparison you'd need to compare both cars at their peak.

Incidentally, I wasn't much impressed by the suspension of the R160s, they swayed too much for my liking. The entire New York subway seems to have ridiculous suspension systems, I have never been on well maintained track anywhere else that caused cars to sway so much.

Edited by ttcsubwayfan

• 2 weeks later...