R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

It won't.

Yes, it will unless those 4 car r160's sets on the C can "magically" be modified into 5 car sets and stay on the C. 

Once the C becomes full length, the only place where displaced 4 car r160's from the C will be able to go is on the G.

The JMZ will have all 8 car r179's, which will cover the entire JZ fleet, plus the r160's that still run on the JZ and the M will only get 50 additional r160's from the L.

20 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Yes, it will unless those 4 car r160's sets on the C can "magically" be modified into 5 car sets and stay on the C. 

Once the C becomes full length, the only place where displaced 4 car r160's from the C will be able to go is on the G.

The JMZ will have all 8 car r179's, which will cover the entire JZ fleet, plus the r160's that still run on the JZ and the M will only get 50 additional r160's from the L.

It will get R32s.

1 hour ago, Coney Island Av said:

3130-3133 and 3138-3141 was doing burn-in on the (C) today.

Not sure if it's still out though.

It's kind of odd that they are still testing 8 car trains on the C when the C is going to be full length (confirmed), but I am glad that the delivery and testing of the 8 car r179's has been running smoothly during the last few months.

3 hours ago, Dj Hammers said:

It's burn-testing on the C out of convenience (The train was already at Pitkin Yard). Once that consist is finished testing it will join the other R179s at East New York Yard.

Had a feeling it was either that, or crew members wanting to troll fans again (like they did with the R160 (V) two weeks ago).

R179 Update:

3010-3019: MIA, being modified at Bombardier

3130-3133: Burn-in on the (C), then will head to ENY

3138-3141: Burn-in on the (C), then will head to ENY

3142-3145: Testing in the Rockaways

3050-3069, 3074-3129, 3134-3137: All in service on the (J) (soon to be 3050-3069, 3074-3141)

Four-car R179 count: 92

Five-car R179 count: 10

Notes:

-About 68 R32s remain at ENY, along with the 50 remaining R42s. More and more will get displaced as the R179s make their way to the (J)(Z), and at the current rate, it looks as if by October the R32s will all be housed at 207 St, with the R42s in the process of leaving ENY. 

-About 10 trains of R179s are in service on the (J)(Z), with the number going up to 11 in the upcoming weeks.

-As mentioned earlier the R179s are NOT going to the (C), they are only burning in on the (C) out of convenience. 

-Over 154 R32s are at 207 St.

On 8/14/2018 at 2:13 PM, subwaycommuter1983 said:

If the two middle cars in each 4-car R160 (as well as R179) had couplers at one end, then it would be possible to splice in another trailer car with couplers at both ends to make a 5-car set. It could probably be done in less time than whatever would need to be done with the link bars in order to go from four to five cars now. 

But then, you’d have to have either order spare trailer cars or have enough lying around to make 5-car sets. Though I imagine it’s still cheaper than ordering married pairs of 60-footers, like the R27 through R42 fleets. 

10 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I think Bombardier is going to have to give the MTA extra 10 car trains in addition to the 12 10 car trains to compensate for all the issues and delays with the 10 car trains.

Agreed. We really do need more 10-car trains. It’s unfortunate that they have to be configured in either 4- or 5-car sets right from the start at the factory.

1 hour ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

If the two middle cars in each 4-car R160 (as well as R179) had couplers at one end, then it would be possible to splice in another trailer car with couplers at both ends to make a 5-car set. It could probably be done in less time than whatever would need to be done with the link bars in order to go from four to five cars now. 

But then, you’d have to have either order spare trailer cars or have enough lying around to make 5-car sets. Though I imagine it’s still cheaper than ordering married pairs of 60-footers, like the R27 through R42 fleets. 

Agreed. We really do need more 10-car trains. It’s unfortunate that they have to be configured in either 4- or 5-car sets right from the start at the factory.

True. In fact, as a courtesy, Bombardier should build 20 10 car trains instead of 12 10 car trains. Those 20 10 car trains would cover 50% of the A and 100% of the C and I mention the C because they can easily go to the C once the r211's are in service.

13 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I think Bombardier is going to have to give the MTA extra 10 car trains in addition to the 12 10 car trains to compensate for all the issues and delays with the 10 car trains.

30 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

True. In fact, as a courtesy, Bombardier should build 20 10 car trains instead of 12 10 car trains. Those 20 10 car trains would cover 50% of the A and 100% of the C and I mention the C because they can easily go to the C once the r211's are in service.

8 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

While I agree the MTA should've done more 5-car sets (and ideally kept the original assignment of mostly 5-car sets), getting more cars out of something doesn't just happen.  Even added option orders, as was the case with the R142A (technically R142S), PA5, and M8, have to go through extensive negotiations between the contractor and the customer.  Plus, it's not like Bombardier has the resources to build any more trains as they are also way behind on other projects.

On a side note, I did the math and at the current rate of one 4-car or 5-car set per week, the last 4-car set won't be delivered until sometime in February, and the last 5-car set until late June.  I don't see how Bombardier will meet the goal of having all trains on property before the shutdown begins.

Edited by Bosco

5 minutes ago, Bosco said:

While I agree the MTA should've done more 5-car sets (and ideally kept the original assignment of mostly 5-car sets), getting more cars out of something doesn't just happen.  Even added option orders, as was the case with the R142A (technically R142S), PA5, and M8, have to go through extensive negotiations between the contractor and the customer.  Plus, it's not like Bombardier has the resources to build any more trains as they are also way behind on other projects.

On a side note, I did the math and at the current rate of one 4-car or 5-car set per week, the last 4-car set won't be delivered until sometime in February, and the last 5-car set until late June.  I don't see how Bombardier will meet the goal of having all trains on property before the shutdown begins.

They might have to deliver cars during the weekends in the night and perhaps deliver one 4 car set and one 5 car set within the same week to expedite delivery. Otherwise, they're going to have to find other ways of expediting delivery once the issues on the 5 car sets are fixed.

8 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Hate to sound negative but I'm afraid it's too late to add any more additional cars to the order. Besides complicated negotiations, if more cars get added, that pushes the date of delivery completion even further back than originally intended and as a result would further decrease the probability of having all R179s before Canarsie. 

Otherwise, I do agree that there should've been more five-car sets. But just be grateful that we even have 12 trains, as originally there were only four...

Also after months, we still haven't heard of 3010-3019. Not even credible insiders even know the whereabouts of that set. That set has always been, and always will be notorious for being missing in action, and failing even more than any set in the order. 

Edited by Coney Island Av

12 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

3010 - 3019 is probably being held at Bomnardier and will probably be sent back once all the 4 car sets are delivered.

Perhaps the TA doesn't want one oddball 10 car set running on the (A) line for a extended period of time.

I wouldn't be surprised. I think it will be delivered with the other 10 car trains.