R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

7 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Yes, that's part of Byfords plan, which will also accelerate CTBC on 8th Avenue as well.

In other words, QBL, 8th Avenue and Lexington Avenue will be CTBC within the next five years.

And how is Lexington going to become CBTC if Lexington still has SMEE's?

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

And how is Lexington going to become CBTC if Lexington still has SMEE's?

Good question

1. It's been all over the media

https://ny.curbed.com/2018/5/23/17383870/nyc-subway-mta-overhaul-andy-byford-plan

2. Like I said in a previous post, modifications will need to be made to all r142's in order to be CTBC ready.

3. The (2) and (6) trains will most likely have to swap cars. The r62s won't be able to run through Lexington once is CTBC and the r142's can run on the (6) once it's modified (change in strip map included).

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

From what I understand this K program was recently installed, was not originally in the AAS and starts at Jamaica-179th Street and says

K   CONEY ISLAND

K   63 ST/6 AV LCL

K   CULVER LOCAL

I did not see the FIND but I did see that in one of the photos you can make out that the displays inside the car said K too.

15 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

If they put the CBTC on Lexington project on the fast track, then that could potentially justify swapping the (2)’s R142s and the (6)’s R62As, because they don’t want to go through the hassle of retrofitting SMEE cars with CBTC technology. This, in turn, could open the door to de-interlining Rogers, because then you can easily have the (2) and (3) sharing the same southern terminal, so then a (2) could become a (3) at Flatbush and vice versa. But they should do this if - and only if - they’re planning to fast-track CBTC on Lexington Ave.

I keep seeing discussion about R142's from the beast going to the 6. So what happens when the road blows up on the west side and they need to reroute trains up Lex? 

Back to the R179's, I forgot if it was last week or the week before but when Inwas at Jamaica Yard I saw some 179 layups signed up as (M).

1 hour ago, Jchambers2120 said:

I keep seeing discussion about R142's from the beast going to the 6. So what happens when the road blows up on the west side and they need to reroute trains up Lex? 

Back to the R179's, I forgot if it was last week or the week before but when Inwas at Jamaica Yard I saw some 179 layups signed up as (M).

This is something that the MTA will have to figure out. That same issue will happen once 8th Avenue becomes CTBC and B/D trains need to be rerouted due to issues on the 6th avenue.

Hopefully, the MTA is already working on replacing r62s and r68's. Those will be the only SMEE's left once all r211's are in service and they're due to retirement in 10 years.

Interesting how every time I see a photo of an R179 car on its way to the GWB, it looks to me like a train line runs in the middle of I-95 there. What’s even more interesting is that a branch off the (A) line was actually proposed to run from 168th St to Fort Lee via the GWB. But then Robert Moses happened...

5 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Hopefully, the MTA is already working on replacing r62s and r68's. Those will be the only SMEE's left once all r211's are in service and they're due to retirement in 10 years.

Perhaps the MTA can order the R62 and R68 replacement cars as one order, like the MBTA is doing up in Boston with the new Orange and Red Line cars (the MBTA also procured the current Orange Line and previous Blue Line fleet this way). 

8 minutes ago, Fan Railer said:

Yes. It's been established that the bridge opens to oversized loads some time between 8:30 pm and 9 pm depending on traffic conditions. So they should be crossing soon, if not now.

Look when the truck gets rerouted or something due to road milling on Broadway. Perhaps via St. Nicholas and 187th st (like how the Bx7 and M100 went via St. Nicholas and 187th St)

On 7/31/2018 at 4:41 PM, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Perhaps the MTA can order the R62 and R68 replacement cars as one order, like the MBTA is doing up in Boston with the new Orange and Red Line cars (the MBTA also procured the current Orange Line and previous Blue Line fleet this way). 

There's no train manufacturer in the US that's big enough to handle such a combined order. The Red and Orange fleets are much smaller, heck they're smaller than the R62 fleet.

10 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

Which of the R179 are supposed to be say, model year 2016, 2017, and 2018?

Like 3010-3014 are 2016 units, but what about the rest?

3010-3014, 3015-3019, 3050-3053,3054-3057, 3058-3061, and 3062-3065 are all 2016 and 2017 units from my knowledge. I don't know about the rest of the fleet though. A vast majority are 2018 units as far as I know

8 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

There's no train manufacturer in the US that's big enough to handle such a combined order. The Red and Orange fleets are much smaller, heck they're smaller than the R62 fleet.

It doesn't have to be just one manufacturer. The R160s weren't built by just one manufacturer. Neither were the R62/62A, R68/68A or R142/R142A. But what about working on the design and specifications for the R62 and R68 replacements simultaneously? Why can't that be done under one contract?

46 minutes ago, Vtrain said:

I just reviewed the Supplemental Environmental Assessment for the L train shutdown loop & it does mention that the R trains will be decreased from 10 to 8 TPH, for Queens only, however, the R trains to & from BRooklyn won't be touched, it will remain the same with 10TPH.

So I wonder on where some R trains from Brooklyn will be terminating in Manhattan or Queens since the additional M trains will take the place of some R trains along Queens Blvd.

That's a possibility, but only during the weekdays. The M will run on the Q to 96 during overnight and weekends.

2 hours ago, Vtrain said:

I just reviewed the Supplemental Environmental Assessment for the L train shutdown loop & it does mention that the R trains will be decreased from 10 to 8 TPH, for Queens only, however, the R trains to & from BRooklyn won't be touched, it will remain the same with 10TPH.

So I wonder on where some R trains from Brooklyn will be terminating in Manhattan or Queens since the additional M trains will take the place of some R trains along Queens Blvd.

My guess is: 96th Street - 2nd Ave.

On 7/31/2018 at 2:14 PM, subwaycommuter1983 said:

This is something that the MTA will have to figure out. That same issue will happen once 8th Avenue becomes CTBC and B/D trains need to be rerouted due to issues on the 6th avenue.

It won't be a big deal if Lexington Avenue is governed by CBTC and a set of SMEE's from 7th Avenue is rerouted there—the (L) Line utilizes CBTC but R32 and R42 sets have used the (L) many times to head to the car wash at Canarsie Yard.