R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

This means that the 10 car r179's and all r142's will need modifications to become CTBC and don't be surprised if there is a fleet swap between the 2 and 6 trains.

The R62As on the (6) can't go to the (2) because the latter occasionally shares with the (5). This is evidenced by the combined (2)(5) strip maps on the R142s, as (2)s would often become (5)s at Flatbush and vice-versa, hence why they installed them. Like it or not, they'll have to stay on the (6) until retirement. 

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, FlushingExpress said:

"Those lines don’t have the volume to justify 60’ equipment" Oh really? ride them yourself and you will they have way more ridership than the A, C, J/Z, M and R, especially on the Astoria Line, they will not want their awesome R160s replaced by fat old junks. 

It's one thing to prefer a train type, but it's downright creepy to be on the verge of worshiping a piece of steel and wires. And guess what, nobody except for us railfans gives a flying duck about which train they're on, so long as it gets them to where they need to get. "Astoria Line" riders included.

3 hours ago, FlushingExpress said:

If Coney Island gives R160s to Jamaica, it better get all the five-car R179s in their place as the NTTs are the only cars that can handle the heavy loads along Brighton and 2nd Avenue on the Q, not to mention no SMEEs have the 96th Street rollsigns or programs and R46s cannot run on the northbound local track of Brighton due to residential complaints about noise and vibrations.

Brighton has "heavy" loads? Compared to what? The (R)?

And please - quit it with the Brighton complaints. That's utterly false.

4 hours ago, FlushingExpress said:
On 7/28/2018 at 10:06 AM, Coney Island Av said:

. P.S. The R46s on the (F)(R) will leave for the (N)(W) by the end of the year because the Jamaica-Coney Island swap will be happening soon. 

I just love how people keep bringing up this dumb rumored swap, yet never provide a reliable source for it, and no, what comes out of a transit worker's mouth is not a reliable source. They are not psychics and cannot see the future

You are aware of the fact that anyone who works with fleet assignments in the MTA can leak information, so therefore, you don't need to always see things in order to believe.

4 hours ago, FlushingExpress said:

I just love how people keep bringing up this dumb rumored swap, yet never provide a reliable source for it, and no, what comes out of a transit worker's mouth is not a reliable source. They are not psychics and cannot see the future

It's funny you say that since Jamaica Yard personnel confirmed the swap at the Transit Museum tour last weekend.

5 hours ago, FlushingExpress said:

Yeah, I still avoid riding the R42s as much as possible due to my strong hate for them. Thankfully there are only 50 of those rusted tin cans and will be retired once all R179s are in service.

"Those lines don’t have the volume to justify 60’ equipment" Oh really? ride them yourself and you will they have way more ridership than the A, C, J/Z, M and R, especially on the Astoria Line, they will not want their awesome R160s replaced by fat old junks.

They will as CBTC on Queens Boulevard will not be ready for another 5-6 years. I love how everything thinks it will go off without a hitch, yet CBTC on Flushing and Canarsie were well over 4 years behind schedule. If the ultimate goal was for Jamaica to be all R160s, someone please explain why Jamaica has been persistently giving Coney Island its R160s over the past 7 years?

Yep, hence it's dumb to give the fat R46s to the N/W when they have way more ridership than the R, though I would call an R46 on the W "Wario" because he wears yellow and has a black mustache (like the W logo) and is incredibly fat like an R46. Non CBTC equipment can still run on CBTC activated lines, hence it is not really urgent for the R to get R160s right now anyway. The F uses about 7-8 sets of R46s right now, so the five-car R179s can go to Coney Island, who will send enough R160s to Jamaica to make just the F all R160s.

R142s to the 6 and R62As to the 2? That would be a blessing considering how horrible the 6 has been since the crappy R62As took over.

If Coney Island gives R160s to Jamaica, it better get all the five-car R179s in their place as the NTTs are the only cars that can handle the heavy loads along Brighton and 2nd Avenue on the Q, not to mention no SMEEs have the 96th Street rollsigns or programs and R46s cannot run on the northbound local track of Brighton due to residential complaints about noise and vibrations. I just love how people are such hypocrites, saying 60 footers are badly needed for the A because of crowding, yet 75 footers will do well on the more crowded N and Q trains, or how R68/68As will do well on the Q because it has the same terminals 24/7, but are horrible on the G even though it too has the same terminals 24/7. Reminds me of the time R32 3838 said on Facebook that when the G was transferred to Coney Island in 2011, it should have gotten R160s instead of R68/68As, which would have been dumb as the N needed the R160s more, being that it has way more ridership than the G and allowed Astoria to maintain a full R160 fleet. If all what he said is true, Coney Island would have too many different car types to handle. East New York has been complaining about that issue, which is why they are so happy the R32s and R42s will soon be off the J/Z. 

You either grow up or stay off this forum. Some of the things you've said in this post is extremely infantile. If you are a grown man as you like to tout, then act like it.

5 hours ago, FlushingExpress said:

Yeah, I still avoid riding the R42s as much as possible due to my strong hate for them. Thankfully there are only 50 of those rusted tin cans and will be retired once all R179s are in service.

They will as CBTC on Queens Boulevard will not be ready for another 5-6 years. I love how everything thinks it will go off without a hitch, yet CBTC on Flushing and Canarsie were well over 4 years behind schedule. If the ultimate goal was for Jamaica to be all R160s, someone please explain why Jamaica has been persistently giving Coney Island its R160s over the past 7 years?

Yep, hence it's dumb to give the fat R46s to the N/W when they have way more ridership than the R, though I would call an R46 on the W "Wario" because he wears yellow and has a black mustache (like the W logo) and is incredibly fat like an R46. Non CBTC equipment can still run on CBTC activated lines, hence it is not really urgent for the R to get R160s right now anyway. The F uses about 7-8 sets of R46s right now, so the five-car R179s can go to Coney Island, who will send enough R160s to Jamaica to make just the F all R160s.

R142s to the 6 and R62As to the 2? That would be a blessing considering how horrible the 6 has been since the crappy R62As took over.

If Coney Island gives R160s to Jamaica, it better get all the five-car R179s in their place as the NTTs are the only cars that can handle the heavy loads along Brighton and 2nd Avenue on the Q, not to mention no SMEEs have the 96th Street rollsigns or programs and R46s cannot run on the northbound local track of Brighton due to residential complaints about noise and vibrations. I just love how people are such hypocrites, saying 60 footers are badly needed for the A because of crowding, yet 75 footers will do well on the more crowded N and Q trains, or how R68/68As will do well on the Q because it has the same terminals 24/7, but are horrible on the G even though it too has the same terminals 24/7. Reminds me of the time R32 3838 said on Facebook that when the G was transferred to Coney Island in 2011, it should have gotten R160s instead of R68/68As, which would have been dumb as the N needed the R160s more, being that it has way more ridership than the G and allowed Astoria to maintain a full R160 fleet. If all what he said is true, Coney Island would have too many different car types to handle. East New York has been complaining about that issue, which is why they are so happy the R32s and R42s will soon be off the J/Z. 

To @Coney Island Av's point, the swap between Stillwell and Jamaica had been already planned long in advance; therefore, there is no rumor to that. Even @Around the Horn made this confirmation as well.

Second, why on earth do you keep avoiding very old tech like the 42? I find that very insane and the only thing that matters is being able to get anywhere, regardless of car or bus model.

Third, I'm all in support for the (N) and (W) trains getting the R46 because it helps to combat the downtown last stop signage issue that is rampant with the 68/68A when they go to Ditmars together.

Fourth, because of Byford's plan to bring the transit system back from the dead, there is no space for waiting a lot longer for anything else to fall apart.

Fifth, I think it is a nice change of fleet for the (N) and (W) trains to have a fleet that won't cause as much problems to choose a Manhattan or Brooklyn bound signup.

Sixth, do you not realize that the (2) and (5) trains have been sharing fleet since the 90's? Because of this, the 33 during the 90s was practically assigned to the (2) train from what I remember, even though it had the black tapes that showed it belonged to the (5) train. Similarly, the 26, 28, and 29GE was assigned to the (5) train most of the time, even though it had the green tapes that showed it was meant for the (2) train.

Seventh, it had already been said many times that the R179 five car sets was going to operate from Pitkin, meaning that we would likely be seeing it operate on the (A) train and the Rockaway Park (H) train (aka the Rockaway Park (S)). There may have been an earlier plan for option orders of the R179 five car sets to go to the (Q) train for the first phase of service to 96th Street, but because the R44 retired early in September of 2010, that's why we have recently seen many of the 179's within East New York operate on the (J) and (Z) trains since the order was updated to make the majority of the fleet four-car sixty foot sets and what remains (that is, the five-car sets) to mainly go to Eighth Avenue and the Rockaways.

3 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

The R62As on the (6) can't go to the (2) because the latter occasionally shares with the (5). This is evidenced by the combined (2)(5) strip maps on the R142s, as (2)s would often become (5)s at Flatbush and vice-versa, hence why they installed them. Like it or not, they'll have to stay on the (6) until retirement. 

Lets see how the MTA will solve this issues. It doesn't make sense to modify the r62s since they're going to be retired within the next few years.

The Jamaica/Coney island swap is still subject to change due to Byford's plan. The MTA is working on 8th Avenue, and Lexington Avenue CTBC as well as QBL.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

13 hours ago, FlushingExpress said:

How do you know what Yard maintenance says? 

I've been a member of this forum for six years, a period of time over which a lot has changed in my life.

Good to know that no matter how unstable things get in the real world, I can always rely on Flushing Express to be fat shaming a subway car on the internet. In a way, it's almost comforting to know that some things never change.

And yet they still cannot send an NTT (J) train to Metropolitan Av without it being signed as everything under the sun except as a (J) to Metropolitan Av.

Really though, why? There hasn't been a (K) line for nearly 30 years now. What are the odds they'll bring it back?

On 7/29/2018 at 10:06 AM, FlushingExpress said:

Okay Car Assignment Planner Thai. 

You know, I don't know why you guys continue to entertain his ramblings on these things. As @ttcsubwayfan mentioned, he has not changed his tune in the many years he's been a member on this forum and I don't expect that to change any time soon. Much as we all roll our eyes to the latest Wallyhorse idea, we should do the same to anything that FlushingExpress posts because nine times out of ten, it's the same thing repeated time and time again.

20 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

There was a K train??? When and where did it run??

When Sandy, the H train used to run in the Rockaways, but I don't remember seeing any K train.

You need to go waaaaaaaaaaaaaay further back in history than 2012.

The (K) was eliminated in 1988.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K_(Eighth_Avenue_Local)

50 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

There was a K train??? When and where did it run??

When Sandy, the H train used to run in the Rockaways, but I don't remember seeing any K train.

The first (K) was the Jamaica-6th Ave service that ran from 1967-76 (and was called the :KK: until 1973-ish). It ran skip-stop with the (QJ) (now (J) ) train, which is interesting because the QJ and KK separated after Essex, so you have to wonder how well the skip-stop pattern ran compared to today's (J) / (Z) service.

And like @ttcsubwayfan just posted, there was the second (K) which was eliminated in 1988. It was the new name for the (AA) when Transit made the decision in 1985 to go with all single letters for the B-Division routes. They could have recycled it when they brought back skip-stop on the Jamaica el in 1988, but I guess Transit thought it would have been too confusing to eliminate (K) from 8th Ave only to make it the (J)'s skip-stop partner later in the same year. Hence, the decision to skip all the way to (Z).

8 hours ago, Train92 said:

Sorry to interrupt, but the R179s has a program for (K) to Coney Island source IG: R160car8888

Maybe the third ( K ) can be the new 4th Ave Local/Nassau St service we discussed in the Proposals thread. Although they did run the (QJ) / :J: to Nassau St and the :KK: / (K) to 57th St/6th Ave, so maybe extending the current (J) to Bay Ridge, with the peak-direction (Z) runs still turning at Broad might not be as bad as some Forumers made it out to be when this idea came up in the past.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

5 hours ago, Vtrain said:

I wonder if & when this K train is going to be used for if it is brought back.

I think the K should come back as a brand new line. The MTA will eventually have to build new subway lines, particularly elevated lines in the outer boroughs.

In fact, I think the MTA should reconsider phase 3 and 4 of the Second Avenue Subway. Instead of building south of 72nd Street, they should build North of 125th along Third Avenue in the Bronx, as an elevated line, like in the past. It's cheaper and faster and that part of the Bronx is more underserved than Midtown East. The MTA can still build a terminal below 72nd for the T.

This (K) would essentially function similarly to the (Z) (and (9)) in a way. The (J)(Z) are the same line just as how our theoretical (F)(K) pairing would be. However the main difference is that the latters wouldn't do skip-stop. 

But if they were gonna do a pairing up for Culver Express service, then why not use the (F)(V) instead of (F)(K)? The (V) is more accustomed to passengers, since it only recently got axed whereas for the (K) it got discontinued nearly three decades ago. Plus before the budget cuts the (V) was proposed to be extended to Church. 

14 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

This (K) would essentially function similarly to the (Z) (and (9)) in a way. The (J)(Z) are the same line just as how our theoretical (F)(K) pairing would be. However the main difference is that the latters wouldn't do skip-stop. 

But if they were gonna do a pairing up for Culver Express service, then why not use the (F)(V) instead of (F)(K)? The (V) is more accustomed to passengers, since it only recently got axed whereas for the (K) it got discontinued nearly three decades ago. Plus before the budget cuts the (V) was proposed to be extended to Church. 

I agree. And also the MTA should consider extending the (W) to Bay Ridge. 4th avenue local needs more service. 

Unfortunately, there is not enough trains right now for these extensions to happen and we can't count on the r32's. They have been in service for too long and they're not in good shape. The only reason they are still in service is because of the MTA 's dumb decision of not purchasing enough 10 car r179's. The r32's must be retired with the r211's, no question about it.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983