R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From my calculations, if the (C) needs half the (A)'s current R46s, then that would leave about 18 to 19 R46s left on the (A). The five-car R179s would further push this number to 30 to 31 trains. However, we'll need 9 to 10 sets of R32s to stay on the (A) since it uses 40 trains total. 

I calculated that around 122 to 132 R32s plus the 50 R42s would all go to Coney Island for (B)(G) service, while 90 to 100 R32s would stay on the (A)

Of course this is all subject to change but so far the only noticeable change in the plan was the (C) going full-length. 

Just to clear some things up - some people have extrapolated some small bits of information to make various conclusions about how the car assignments will look in the future. Furthermore, a select minority of these conclusions have been attributed to me when that isn't really the case. Some of these extrapolations are fairly well done, but I should make it clear that the resultant detailed numbers and other info from them may in some cases be inaccurate.

In short, I can't really comment about the accuracy of the claims made here because they are not official plans, and I think it would be incorrect to characterize any of those conclusions as coming from myself.

Edited by Dj Hammers

2 hours ago, Dj Hammers said:

Just to clear some things up - some people have extrapolated some small bits of information to make various conclusions about how the car assignments will look in the future. Furthermore, a select minority of these conclusions have been attributed to me when that isn't really the case. Some of these extrapolations are fairly well done, but I should make it clear that the resultant detailed numbers and other info from them may in some cases be inaccurate.

In short, I can't really comment about the accuracy of the claims made here because they are not official plans, and I think it would be incorrect to characterize any of those conclusions as coming from myself.

Thank you so much for the clarification.

I've shared my thoughts in terms of possible car assignments in connection to the r179's, Canarsie shutdown and Byford's 5 year plan. I've also had mentioned in numerous posts that the MTA has not confirmed any information about car assignments in regards to CTBC and Canarsie.

The MTA so far has confirmed and it's on the media:

1. 50 additional cars for the M.

2. Full length C and G trains

3.  QBL, 8th Avenue and Lexington Avenue becoming CTBC within the next five years.

4. r32's and r42's being retired within the next two or three years. I'm pretty sure that some people in this forum are kicking and screaming about it, while some are wishing for a sooner retirement.

5. I haven't mentioned this, but the MTA is increasing service on the D, E, F trains this fall.

6. The 8 car r179's are still being delivered, tested, and running on the J/Z.

Everything else that has been mentioned in this forum is TENTATIVE information that is based on logical ideas and wishes that may or may not happen.

8 hours ago, Lance said:

Before anyone asks, yes, this is why several recent posts have been removed.

I'm not at all surprised and it's one of the reasons why I don't comment as much as I used to on this thread. Some members on this forum in general are so heavily dependent on the transit employees for no reason most (not all the time per say, but most) of the time. They treat them like they're gods when everyone in general can at times make mistakes. It's so annoying, really.

1 hour ago, Vtrain said:

By the time the 14th St tunnel shuts down, here is my opinion on subway car movements.

The B will most likely stay with the R68/A cars since they can be maintained out of Concourse Yard with the R68 there that run on the D line, the R46 cars aren't maintained out of Concourse Yard.

The N,Q & W lines will stay with mixed R46 & R68 subway cars.

The 50 R42 cars will be retired from service.

The G train will get the 4 car R160 sets along with a few R32 cars.

The A train will remain the same R32,R46 & R179 subway cars.

I think the B will keep the r68's. The B is actually split between Coney island and Concourse yard.

Concourse yard has the reputation of being the "r68 monopoly ". There was a rumor years ago that some r160's were supposed to run on the D, but the people from Concourse yard didn't want to let go of the r68's.

If the rumors are true, then there is no way that the r46's will go to Concourse.

Also, I don't think that the r42's will make it past 2019.

While yard preference may play a small part in the 68s remaining at Concourse, I believe the main thing that prevented the (D) from receiving 160s is the fact that the Concourse Yard only services one line. The NTTs would be a waste at Concourse as opposed to say Coney Island, which services the (B)(G) (Q) (N) and (W) lines, the latter of which all share cars at times. That flexibility of electronic signage is much more useful when a train could enter Ditmars Blvd as an (N) and leave as a (W) than it would ever be on the (D), which rarely shares its fleet with any other line.

All this talk about car moves and I'm just sitting here wondering when we'll see those five-car sets. Damn build problems.

5 hours ago, Lance said:

All this talk about car moves and I'm just sitting here wondering when we'll see those five-car sets. Damn build problems.

If this is still the case, I think the priority is the four-car sets as ENY needs to be 100% NTT before the shutdown begins.  I don't see anything else stopping production of the five-car sets as they are mechanically and electrically the same, just with one extra B-car.

Speaking of which, have 3010-3019 returned?  If so, when can we expect them to enter service?

5 hours ago, Lance said:

While yard preference may play a small part in the 68s remaining at Concourse, I believe the main thing that prevented the (D) from receiving 160s is the fact that the Concourse Yard only services one line. The NTTs would be a waste at Concourse as opposed to say Coney Island, which services the (B)(G) (Q) (N) and (W) lines, the latter of which all share cars at times. That flexibility of electronic signage is much more useful when a train could enter Ditmars Blvd as an (N) and leave as a (W) than it would ever be on the (D), which rarely shares its fleet with any other line.

Don't the (B) and (D) share the same fleet?

8 hours ago, Lance said:

I wonder why they didn't put them on the (B) then, which runs up there, but is based out of CIY like the other lines.  Then the 160's and 68's would simply be shared among the CIY lines more.  This would also be helpful for the baseball specials, which borrow from the (B), and then have to change the signs, and often have the destination changed on the go.

57 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

So (B) trains are laid up in Concourse yet dont share the same fleet with the (D) ... that's the dumbest thing I've heard. 

They do borrow (so that you might see a 68A on the (D)), or at least used to.

The (B) and (D) at Concourse Yard: One difference is that the total of units is there for one line (2500-2775 for the (D) ) with the others from Coney Island Yard to Concourse Yard as layup for the rush hour or stored there for the weekend. 

It's like the (2) and (5) trains at 239 St Yard. 

14 hours ago, Lance said:

This. I can't understand how hard it is to fix that one single set of 5-car trains. At this rate, we'll be lucky if we see ONE 5-car R179 before Christmas.

12 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

So (B) trains are laid up in Concourse yet dont share the same fleet with the (D) ... that's the dumbest thing I've heard. 

Despite the terms “yard” and “shop” being used interchangeably, there’s nevertheless a difference. Every individual line and every individual car type is assigned to one shop. The only exception is the R32s from 207th Street and the R46s from Pitkin Avenue, both respective car types of which are assigned to both the (A) and (C) lines.

As we all know, the word “shop” means maintenance and inspection, whereas the word “yard” means storage. That’s it.

Forgot to mention another exception is East New York and probably Coney Island as well, since those two have more than one or two car types, hehe.

Heading back to topic, I hope the five-car R179s soon make it to passenger service in time for the Canarsie Tube Shutdown.