R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah when I rode PATH I noticed their cars have the weather and stuff like that and it would be nice to have that on the R160's LCDs, and of course some more ad revenue.

I agree. On the PA-5's, the tv screens always display news of the day and weather. It just makes me wonder why the R160's can't display those. The only things they've been showing are MTA related stuff. Like P3F said, displaying news and weather will generate a lot more revenue.

Ummm, not to be petty Brac, but I think I said this about the revenue first, so, no, not "like P3F said" (i.e., see my post right before P3F said "Yeah..." to mine). Anyway, I was also asking if anybody has seen a thread just discussing the FIND. LOL, it's hard to search and "find" when searching the word "FIND"

Two things:

1) Nobody really cares who said what first. It's a public forum.

2) If there is a FIND thread, it's old enough that posting on it would be necroposting. Make a new one if you wish.

It isn't there won't be enough R179s to go around especially if they are not going to be full length

The lion's share of the order is 4-car sets (8 car trains) and its pretty obvious where they are going to go. Only about 40 cars will be in 5 car sets (4 10-car trains) and will be for line expansion only...which is where the (Q) extension comes into play.

...once again, as the original plan states. I could be wrong

The lion's share of the order is 4-car sets (8 car trains) and its pretty obvious where they are going to go. Only about 40 cars will be in 5 car sets (4 10-car trains) and will be for line expansion only...which is where the (Q) extension comes into play.

...once again, as the original plan states. I could be wrong

Yeah it is pretty obvious where they are going to go but the (Q) is only going to be extended three stops (I could be wrong) ro the upper side so IMO the (Q) is okay with the amount of trains it has right now

Yeah it is pretty obvious where they are going to go but the (Q) is only going to be extended three stops (I could be wrong) ro the upper side so IMO the (Q) is okay with the amount of trains it has right now

Remember it's not just the (Q) getting involved when phrase 1 opens, the (W) is likely to return as well, and the 40 5 car set R179s ordered would likely stop the Astoria line from seeing a reduction in service.

Remember it's not just the (Q) getting involved when phrase 1 opens, the (W) is likely to return as well, and the 40 5 car set R179s ordered would likely stop the Astoria line from seeing a reduction in service.

I doubt the (W) would return like I said before all the (W) would do is cause congestion along the broadway line, IMO the (N) can handle astoria alone it just needs extra trains

I called a route planner at the MTA and they said that they would definitely bring back the W.

Really? Okay If the (W) does make a comeback I wanna see how the whole thing is going to work Edited by R3216068E

I doubt the (W) would return like I said before all the (W) would do is cause congestion along the broadway line, IMO the (N) can handle astoria alone it just needs extra trains

That's like saying adding more (E) trains on QBL would not cause more congestion because the QBL express tracks only has two lines. Whether or not if the (Q) replacement is the (W) or extra (N) trains, there will not be a change in TPH on the Astoria line and the 60th street tunnel from now until then.

Really? Okay If the (W) does make a comeback I wanna see how the whole thing is going to work

Same as before the 2010 cuts. No service is needed elsewhere besides the Astoria line and there is nowhere else to terminate the (W) besides whitehall Street. Edited by MysteriousBtrain

That's like saying adding more (E) trains on QBL would not cause more congestion because the QBL express tracks only has two lines. Whether or not if the (Q) replacement is the (W) or extra (N) trains, there will not be a change in TPH on the Astoria line and the 60th street tunnel from now until then.

Same as before the 2010 cuts. No service is needed elsewhere besides the Astoria line and there is nowhere else to terminate the (W) besides whitehall Street.

Well, in theory some (W)s could turn at Canal St, 9 Avenue, Bay Pkwy, or 86 Street. Even though none of those are likely,

Same as before the 2010 cuts. No service is needed elsewhere besides the Astoria line and there is nowhere else to terminate the (W) besides whitehall Street.

Okay I'm just wondering if they do bring the (W) back will it be a part-time line or use only ten sets of trains like it did before?

Okay I'm just wondering if they do bring the (W) back will it be a part-time line or use only ten sets of trains like it did before?

that is unknown, but it can be suspected that it would go back to its previous routing, as the person I talked with said that the only reason they got rid of the W was due to budget cuts, and that they had no intention of getting rid of the service.

because the (Q) won't be going through the 60 st tube any more it will just be the (N) and (R) a lot less congestion with two subway lines rather than 3

You'd have to run double the current amount of (N) trains through the 60th St tubes to make up for the loss of the (Q) once it's rerouted to 2nd Ave. How would that be any less congested than the current services or pre-2010 when the (W) ran through there? You're calling for two lines instead of three. But it'll still be the same number of trains going through there. Unless you're suggesting a service cut to Astoria, which would definitely not go over well with anyone who rides the N, Q or R lines.

(N) service CAN NOT be increased. It is bottlenecked by Dekalb Avenue during the rush hours.

Adding the (W) and having the (N) run express, with the (N) and (Q) still running via the Bridge would eliminate the troublesome delays caused by switching at Prince Street, while increasing line capacity.