R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

You'd have to run double the current amount of (N) trains through the 60th St tubes to make up for the loss of the (Q) once it's rerouted to 2nd Ave. How would that be any less congested than the current services or pre-2010 when the (W) ran through there? You're calling for two lines instead of three. But it'll still be the same number of trains going through there. Unless you're suggesting a service cut to Astoria, which would definitely not go over well with anyone who rides the N, Q or R lines.

True I agree and I am definitely not suggesting a service cut to astoria but if the (W) does return it would only use 10 sets of trains like it did before and do you think the why do you think the (N) was one of the worst subway lines back in the day

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True I agree and I am definitely not suggesting a service cut to astoria but if the (W) does return it would only use 10 sets of trains like it did before and do you think the why do you think the (N) was one of the worst subway lines back in the day

Is public transportation a competition over which train or bus line is "best" or "worst"? No. The Straphangers Campaign is just some advocacy group, not an official (MTA) poll.

All lines and fleets have their pros and cons universally.

(N) service CAN NOT be increased. It is bottlenecked by Dekalb Avenue during the rush hours.

Adding the (W) and having the (N) run express, with the (N) and (Q) still running via the Bridge would eliminate the troublesome delays caused by switching at Prince Street, while increasing line capacity.

I think it would handle the switching problem at prince st but would it handle the Astoria problem the (W) used only half the number of trains the (N) and (Q) used so I'm wondering if it would really help out in astoria

Is public transportation a competition over which train or bus line is "best" or "worst"? No. The Straphangers Campaign is just some advocacy group, not an official (MTA) poll.

All lines and fleets have their pros and cons universally.

No public transportation isn't a competition but it's about getting people to where they need to go and making public transportation as reliable as you can while transporting straphangers

True I agree and I am definitely not suggesting a service cut to astoria but if the (W) does return it would only use 10 sets of trains like it did before and do you think the (W) was reliable itself why do you think the (N) was one of the worst subway lines back in the day

I think it would handle the switching problem at prince st but would it handle the Astoria problem the (W) used only half the number of trains the (N) and (Q) used so I'm wondering if it would really help out in astoria

Yes the (W) would help. It is impossible to increase (N) service past its current level, and current (N) service is known to not be enough for Astoria.

Yes the (W) would help. It is impossible to increase (N) service past its current level, and current (N) service is known to not be enough for Astoria.

Okay hopefully the (W) will help now let's get back to topic do you know if the (N) or (Q) is going to use any R179s to increase service Edited by R3216068E

Nobody here, myself included, knows where the five-car 179s are going yet. Neither do we know if they're going to run a flood of trains on the entire (N) line or restore the 2004-2010 (W) once the (Q) is permanently rerouted to SAS.

Honestly, why did you brought this (W) discussion thing up again? I mean we already had a thread about that already. In fact, we had millions of threads about that in the previous years as well as this year. Many, if not, all of them have been talked about to death. Sit back and wait.

Edited by RollOver

Yea the (N) had problems in the 1990's because Astoria line was underserved its no way Astoria can't go back to its 1990's service levels.

The 179s are going on the (Q) most likely to bump off a few more 160s to Jamaica since QBL is supposed to be CBTC they want all the lines to be Fully NTT. But thats still in the Air. Jamaica is Not surrendering any R160's even if the (W) returns although I hear its not. more (N) trains will be added, that was and still is the plan.

Still don't understand what all this new assignment speculation is all about... the original plan makes the most sense. Keep the R179s based out of 207 and pitkin only, run them on the (A) & (C). Bump four R46 trains back to Jamaica, and reassign four R160 trains from Jamaica back to Coney Island to service the (Q) extension.

Edited by Fan Railer

Still don't understand what all this new assignment speculation is all about... the original plan makes the most sense. Keep the R179s based out of 207 and pitkin only, run them on the (A) & (C). Bump four R46 trains back to Jamaica, and reassign four R160 trains from Jamaica back to Coney Island to service the (Q) extension.

This.

I was just going to say the exact same thing. Keep the yard assignments simple and base the 179s out of 207th Street and East New York.

They will likely be assigned to specific runs on the (A), like the R68A set is during the evening rush hour.

The R179s are going to be rare in the (A) they are most likely going to be used as emergency trains they are also going to send them to Lefferts before they test them in the Rockaways

They will likely be assigned to specific runs on the (A), like the R68A set is during the evening rush hour.

The reason the R68A is assigned to a specific run is because it's a borrowed vehicle from another yard, and having it follow the same schedule every single day means it always gets back to its home yard at the same time. But if Pitkin owns the R179s, why would they be restricted to specific services?