R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Might as well merge the R179s with the R211 order now.

MTA already considered this, and would have added options to the R179 order. They decided not to do this, and work with vendors, suppliers, and engineers to create a new car with a near identical platform. One of the major reasons they decided not to merge the programs was when the R46 retrofit was scrapped, and SIR was added to the R211 roster. At this point, it is quite late in the game to add SIR specs, and if MTA stays with Bombardier on this one, it is going to be a major evaluation point when specs and RFP's are rreleased on the R211.

Even thought the first of the R211's will arrive (if they are on time) as the last of the R179's are coming in, this cannot be done. They are separate procurement programs, and the specs of the R211 have not been finalized other than the fact that the trains will look similar, and be the same length.

They are also under different capital programs, which the R211 has not been fully funded yet. There is no way to merge the programs without spending tens of millions more. MTA is loosing out now, and all of this is going to cost upwards of $70-$100 Million more than initially expected.

As for the R142's, they came in on times, but had major teething problems.... One of the main reasons only R142A's were selected for conversion to R188's.

Edited by East New York

Sigh, this issue why the test train was rejected again is because of more frame issues and truck issues. But where are the pictures for the test train I wanna see how it looks.

I wanna know why dosent the (MTA) just scrap the idea and order more R143's/R160's for the (C). This is getting ridiculous.

Man, those construction delays on the 2nd Avenue subway turned out to be a blessing in disguise for the MTA as far as PR goes. Imagine if that project would have finished on time and end up not having enough equipment to make service?

I said in another thread that at this rate they were one budget shortfall away from having the R32's make it to 60 years in service and it looks like it might happen...

Sigh, this issue why the test train was rejected again is because of more frame issues and truck issues. But where are the pictures for the test train I wanna see how it looks.

I wanna know why dosent the (MTA) just scrap the idea and order more R143's/R160's for the (C). This is getting ridiculous.

They can't order anymore because Kawasaki and Alstom already finished delivering what they were supposed to be delivering. And you can't go back to a previous order after 5 years.

Man, those construction delays on the 2nd Avenue subway turned out to be a blessing in disguise for the MTA as far as PR goes. Imagine if that project would have finished on time and end up not having enough equipment to make service?

I said in another thread that at this rate they were one budget shortfall away from having the R32's make it to 60 years in service and it looks like it might happen...

The only thing I think the MTA is worrying about is the (W) train since Astoria needs a secondary line there.

They should drop the R179 order and increase the R211 order from 940 to about 1,280 cars (80 cars in 4 car units and 1,200 cars in 5 car units). That would solve the problem this would be a fresh start for the TA and Kawasaki should get the R211 order. 

Even though this sounds like a great idea, there is no way we can wait until 2023-2028 for cars that have yet to be designed, built or tested. Not only that, but what if some type of delay happens with the R211? Then we are completely screwed, and right back where we are now.

Let's not forget that when the test train finally arrives, it will still have to undergo a 12 month test, then MTA will conduct an audit inspection. AT that time, if they are satisfied, the production cars will be built, but if not, there will be further delays.

At this time, it would be wise for MTA to see this whole thing through with Bombardier.

Honestly for me right now, I hope that the R179's don't end up like the R44's. Already, the passengers and rider adovacy groups are getting pretty fed up with the 32's right now. The MTA has to take this into consideration. Also, it looks like the MTA needs to find other train companies to construct subway cars rather than just Bombarider and Kawasaki.

Honestly for me right now, I hope that the R179's don't end up like the R44's. Already, the passengers and rider adovacy groups are getting pretty fed up with the 32's right now. The MTA has to take this into consideration. Also, it looks like the MTA needs to find other train companies to construct subway cars rather than just Bombarider and Kawasaki.

Most of the 160s was built by Astom.

Even though this sounds like a great idea, there is no way we can wait until 2023-2028 for cars that have yet to be designed, built or tested. Not only that, but what if some type of delay happens with the R211? Then we are completely screwed, and right back where we are now.

Let's not forget that when the test train finally arrives, it will still have to undergo a 12 month test, then MTA will conduct an audit inspection. AT that time, if they are satisfied, the production cars will be built, but if not, there will be further delays.

At this time, it would be wise for MTA to see this whole thing through with Bombardier.

Kawasaki seems more trusted them Bombardier btw I got a question is having most R179 4car units is a good ideal or not?

I feel like the R46 and SI R44 retirement will be delayed as well. I know the MTA is mad too because the R32's and R42's are a risk keeping them for another 8 years. That is more money being thrown at old cars when it should be used for service improvement and other things. I thought the MDBF was so bad on the R42's that the MTA was thinking of retiring the remaining 50. Shouldn't the spare R32's be enough to cover most of those R42's. All I know is that all the 1960's trains need to go and I feel it when I ride on some of those trains. I remember one Saturday riding an R42 and it was jerking so bad I thought the train was going to break. It did go out of service and back to ENY afterwards though.

And furthermore, there are only a handful of R32s in work service. Work cars are occasionally put back in service (3718 comes to mind), but it's not all that common. The 9th Ave set (3642, I wanna say?) and the 207 cars (3511?) have been out of revenue service for a while. Obviously with A Div cars it's a different story, as those single 62As are used.