R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

The R179s are still delayed and as of right now the test train is now supposed to get delivered in July 2015 , due to the welding issues, If not cleared after testing and if the problem isn't solved it can be delayed even up to a year or more.

That's what I mean't. The R179s were to be delivered on December 2014, but got delayed to July 2015. I actually thought they were to be delivered last summer, but I think got the dates mixed up.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

[As long as they're not delayed AGAIN]

With this delay there's no way to retire all R32s by 2017 anymore , considering that they have to fix this issue then it will take 6 months-a year to test the rest of the R179s once built and sent into (MTA) property and if even succesful then slowely they can start retiring the R42s first then the R32s , the way everything is looking like they should give those R42s some type of sms for them to last at least by 2016-17 on the (J) and (Z) because they aren't in good shape at all....

Edited by R62AR33

The R42s are a small fleet (minority in the whole subway fleet in general) and aren't always in service, so it really doesn't matter. From my prespective, the (J) is almost always just R160s during the off-peak. Weather the R32s or the R42s get retired first doesn't count, because that's the whole point of the R179s. They're replacing anything below the R46s (not counting the SIR R44s).

• 2 weeks later...

So once the R179s come will they be assigned to a specific line, or be prepped to work on any line. Better yet will they start on one line and then intermix with the rest of the B-Division fleet? Like will we one day see R179s on the (Q) or other line.

So once the R179s come will they be assigned to a specific line, or be prepped to work on any line. Better yet will they start on one line and then intermix with the rest of the B-Division fleet? Like will we one day see R179s on the (Q) or other line.

The 4 car sets will be assigned to the (C)(J)(Z) lines since they have the oldest fleet in the system. As for the 5 car sets, some people say it's for the (Q) for 2 Avenue, and others say the (A) to stay with the R179s on the (C). There is no way to tell where the 5 car sets will go at this time.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

The MTA seems to have bad luck with orders as of lately. Deplayed orders seems to be common theses days. It's fascinating to know that the R32's outlived every other train from its time and will be older than the R46's when they retire. Now I wonder what the MTA would do if the R32's suddenly started problems and the R179s are not going to be here until 2017. The R42s are pretty much done for and if the R32's had problems all of suddenly I guess this will be a big lesson learned for the MTA.

Yeah, but the units on Staten Island are still in working order (somewhat). They could of giving them another SMS.

The ones on Staten Island are like the R42s, they're barely making it by. Those should have retired when the NYCT ones retired.

There's no choice and what would replace those cars? It won't be the R46 or such as the subway is short as is with the R44s retired. The one thing that has lessened the blow when the R44s were all retired was the M-V merge which allowed them to run shorter trains on QB and 6th av as well as trimming off unnecessary segments (V to 2nd av and M to Chambers or Bay Parkway).

Edited by Grand Concourse

There's no choice and what would replace those cars? It won't be the R46 or such as the subway is short as is with the R44s retired. The one thing that has lessened the blow when the R44s were all retired was the M-V merge which allowed them to run shorter trains on QB and 6th av as well as trimming off unnecessary segments (V to 2nd av and M to Chambers or Bay Parkway).

Did the MTA actually used all their R-160 options, or were there others that were allowed to expire? 

If they did that, what would of replaced them? -_-

Probably shuttle buses but that wouldn't be enough. Other transit authorities may step in and help but I kind of doubt that. At the moment the MTA can't afford to lose anything. The fact that it's 2014 and we still have train from 1964 is amazing. The R32s were suppose to be retired about 10 years ago.

More like 15 years ago. The R32s were originally scheduled to be replaced sometime before 2000.

The (MTA) 's biggest problem is that they retired the smees to fast.... they went scrap happy and assumed that they didn't have to wait to see how to the R160s performed, i agree the R40 slants and alot of the R42s had to go BUT they should have kept the Best of the R38s and R40M's  , had alot of them stayed the (MTA) wouldn't be in this situation that is a lesson learned not to retire cars so fast. With the R44s retirement it made it much worst , that is why you see R32s on the (A) and (C) and the R68/A on the (A) . What is saving them from a car shortage is the R32s and remaining R42s...

Edited by R62AR33