R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The R179 is "supposed to be" lighter than the R160. However now that the structure has been reworked this may not be the case. We will have to see what the R211 has to offer as well.

How significant is this structural reworking? Is there a cosmetic difference?

I have a question. Do you guys think it would be better if the 179 have strips maps since they're only going to be (C) and (J)(Z). I say that because 1. The (C) will have their own amount of cars 2. And the (J)(Z) will have their own plus they have extra R160 trains. 3. Save money that can be used lol. It's just an opinion not trying to start an argument lol

I have a question. Do you guys think it would be better if the 179 have strips maps since they're only going to be (C) and (J)(Z). I say that because 1. The (C) will have their own amount of cars 2. And the (J)(Z) will have their own plus they have extra R160 trains. 3. Save money that can be used lol. It's just an opinion not trying to start an argument lol

Nah, I would imagine cars will be swapped between the (C) and (J) from time to time.

And the (J) shares 160s with the (M), 179s will most likely be on the (M) too.

Strip maps are outdated and FINDS are more affordable these days. Plus, passenger information clarity comes first. 

Strip Maps are not outdated. They are more sustainable, cost less energy, and are extremely useful on basically every system that doesn't use intertracking.

...AKA, most of the cities with metro systems.

Strip Maps are not outdated. They are more sustainable, cost less energy, and are extremely useful on basically every system that doesn't use intertracking.

"Sustainable"??

I beg to differ.

Reprogramming a FIND over the course of 40 years is MUCH more sustainable than printing out new stickers or entire strip map cars when something must be changed.

Nah, I would imagine cars will be swapped between the (C) and (J) from time to time.

Potenial lines the R179's can be on is the (C)(J)(Z) and probably (M). One can very well show up on the (A) but that will be very rare and only happen because of some disruption.

Most cities with metro systems operate completely isolated 2-track lines. So naturally it would be more useful. But this system is not them.

"Sustainable"??

I beg to differ.

Reprogramming a FIND over the course of 40 years is MUCH more sustainable than printing out new stickers or entire strip map cars when something must be changed.

That's true, but I'm under the assumption that for static lines that won't change anytime soon, it's more sustainable from an energy perspective.

Most cities with metro systems operate completely isolated 2-track lines. So naturally it would be more useful. But this system is not them.

True, true.

The 188s came with interior strip maps instead of FINDs to be completely compatible with the converted 142As. If the MTA wanted to put out the money to upgrade the 142As line maps to FINDs, the new cars would've come with them as well. It makes no sense to incorporate those very dated strip maps in more modern trains. In fact, the FINDs themselves are becoming quite dated and I hope they shift toward something along the lines of LED/LCD screens for the next version of line maps when it comes to designing the 211s and later cars.

Also remember there is no point on using FINDs on the R188s when their only for the (7)<7> its a waste of money and resources... Now finds would make more sense on the R142s on the (2) and (5) because they always swap cars at Flatbush,

Edited by R62AR33

"Sustainable"??

I beg to differ.

By Lance:

The 188s came with interior strip maps instead of FINDs to be completely compatible with the converted 142As. If the MTA wanted to put out the money to upgrade the 142As line maps to FINDs, the new cars would've come with them as well. It makes no sense to incorporate those very dated strip maps in more modern trains. In fact, the FINDs themselves are becoming quite dated and I hope they shift toward something along the lines of LED/LCD screens for the next version of line maps when it comes to designing the 211s and later cars.

It would be nice if the MTA would use the lcd screens on the FIND to play TV type news feeds etc (like they do on the PATH) and maybe run some ads to get revenue. They could charge more than for just the static poster ads.

Anyone know of a forum for just the FIND on here?

Edited by subwayboy

I agree. On the PA-5's, the tv screens always display news of the day and weather. It just makes me wonder why the R160's can't display those. The only things they've been showing are MTA related stuff.

Like P3F said, displaying news and weather will generate a lot more revenue.

Edited by Bracamonte

The 160 FIND's were once demonstrated showing ads, and even the crude R143 RYG LED screen was supposed to carry ads (I don't even think they're on anymore), so I don't know what the (MTA) is doing. (Likewise, unused retail space in the new Jackson Heights and Myrtle-Wyckoff station buildings).

The 160 FIND's were once demonstrated showing ads, and even the crude R143 RYG LED screen was supposed to carry ads (I don't even think they're on anymore), so I don't know what the (MTA) is doing. (Likewise, unused retail space in the new Jackson Heights and Myrtle-Wyckoff station buildings).

They're still on, still showing the same thing they been showing since they were delivered lol

I don't really see the R179s on the (M), the (M) is fine the way it is while the (C), (J), (Z) have the oldest equipment in the system but I can be wrong let see what happens when the R179s come

I don't really see the R179s on the (M), the (M) is fine the way it is while the (C), (J), (Z) have the oldest equipment in the system but I can be wrong let see what happens when the R179s come

They will be on the (C), (J), (M), and (Z), and if they come delivered CBTC-ready, you may see them on the (L) too