R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

The vibrations have nothing to do with the train voltage. An empty R160 weighs 85,200 lbs, while an R46 "A" car weighs 88,955 lbs.

A 10 car train of R160s weigh 85,2000 lbs with no passengers, while a train of all R46 A cars weighs 71,1640. Obviously, not all R46s are "A" cars, so the actual number is a bit lower, owing to the fact that a blind R46 "B" car is lighter. On a train-by-train basis, an R160 is far heavier than any of the 75 footers, which would explain why the R160s caused issues while the R46s didn't.

I don't know what is going on with the voltage issues, but those problems have nothing to do with the vibrations.

I know vibrations has nothing to do with voltage...What i was asking was 2 seperate things.... you answered the  (R) question...I just want to know about the voltage issues in the rockaways is what confusing to me

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two things:

First, how do you know that?

Second, that makes no sense. If that is the case, how are the cars of ENY even utilizing a test track with the purpose of intermixing the two? Uniformity saves money so the rest of the system having different specifications is counterproductive. 

Edited by LTA1992

http://www.alamys.org/media/61869/26_metrorail.pdf is a good presentation to look at. Canarsie CBTC cars require modification before they will work on the new system. Nowhere is there a requirement that the new equipment be made backwards compatible with existing lines- only that future lines keep the new standards. 
Queens CBTC RFP: web.mta.info/nyct/procure/contracts/77319sol.pdf
Culver CBTC RFP: http://web.mta.info/nyct/procure/contracts/74075sol.pdf

The NTT cars are just more sensitive to voltage changes in the system; they have a narrower operational voltage range tolerance because of they way the electronics are built. Most of the system uses power from Con-Ed, but the part of the system out in the Rockaways is supplied by LIPA/PSEG. There is apparently a noticeable voltage difference in this territory that does sometimes cause problems for NTT trains.

The NTT cars are just more sensitive to voltage changes in the system; they have a narrower operational voltage range tolerance because of they way the electronics are built. Most of the system uses power from Con-Ed, but the part of the system out in the Rockaways is supplied by LIPA/PSEG. There is apparently a noticeable voltage difference in this territory that does sometimes cause problems for NTT trains.

thanks now i understand

• 1 month later...

Major R179 updates.

Although the test train has been completed, MTA has yet again rejected the pilot in an audit inspection, and officially put the program on hold indefinitely.

At this time the MTA is very unhappy with the progress at Bombardier, because the aging cars on the (C) and (J)(Z) lines will be forced to stay longer. This now confirms what I previously mentioned that new cars will also show up on the (A) as well as the SAS portion of the (Q).

Delivery was originally expected to begin in early 2016, and was pushed back to late 2016. As of today, MTA says they are not banking on ramping up delivery until 2022 at the latest now. 

Unofficial word is that the MTA is now being pressured to tap Kawasaki and dump Bombardier.

The R32's MDBF is about 58,000 miles, whereas the R160/R188 average about 400,000 miles between breakdowns.

This means that MTA will now have to come up with millions of more dollars to keep the old trains in service much longer. More than $50 Million to be exact. Money that could have been used to upgrade infrastructure, and allocate to R179 cars. Now we all know why we've been seeing R42's out and about...

MTA awarded the contract to Bombardier because they came in $12 million less than Kawasaki. However in the official evaluation and award process, Kawasaki scored higher overall than Bombardier did.... That $12 Million in saving just evaporated.

Ladies and gentleman, the ish is definitely about to hit the fan! Enjoy the R42's and strange swaps. This has only just begun!

Edited by East New York

I really think they ( the (MTA) ) should start going with the best offer, instead of the lowest bidder. I'm always reminded of this saying, via the things that I buy, that look good, for a low price: You get what you pay for.

Edited by m7zanr160s

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ancient-subway-trains-won-replaced-2022-article-1.2323289

It looks like the R32 and R42 will still be at it for a while. What is it with the R32 and dodging retirement because it seems to be getting quite lucky in doing so.

As much as people complain about the 32's, they were built well and hold up better than some newer trains.