R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

They will likely be assigned to specific runs on the (A), like the R68A set is during the evening rush hour.

The R179s are going to be rare in the (A) they are most likely going to be used as emergency trains they are also going to send them to Lefferts before they test them in the Rockaways

As we all know, the (A) runs 38 trains during the rush as indicated by Joe Korner. Since only 40 R179s are in five-car sets, only half of them will be in service and the rest as spares.

36 trains of R46s and 2 trains of R179s.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As we all know, the (A) runs 38 trains during the rush as indicated by Joe Korner. Since only 40 R179s are in five-car sets, only half of them will be in service and the rest as spares.

Possibly more than 2 R179s will be on the (A) because there would be more spares since half of them would only be in service

Odds are the 179s will go to either CI or Jamaica, one of those MTA documents posted on one of these transit message boards showed the 143/160/179s all use the same parts. The (A) line's fleet is maintained at Pikin Yard, can't see the TA wanting give that shop parts for only 4 train sets....

Is this what the MTA actually does? Why not run all of the R179s and if it breaks down, replace it with an R46? :huh:

Is this what the MTA actually does? Why not run all of the R179s and if it breaks down, replace it with an R46? :huh:

that's what I wish what would happen put the R179s on the (A) put the R46s on the (C) but most of them are not going to be full length only spares are going to run on the (A) for an emergency or AM or PM rush hours

Alright, maybe that's not what they actually do...they're probably run all of them regardless of the spare ratio. Both the four-car sets and five-car sets will be maintain at the same shop anyway.

Odds are the 179s will go to either CI or Jamaica, one of those MTA documents posted on one of these transit message boards showed the 143/160/179s all use the same parts. The (A) line's fleet is maintained at Pikin Yard, can't see the TA wanting give that shop parts for only 4 train sets....

Exactly, hell they might be able to mix match them with R160's. And if they can, the (A) is definitely not getting them and niether is the (C)... im almost sure the (C) is getting the "Hand me down" 160's from ENY

that's what I wish what would happen put the R179s on the (A) put the R46s on the (C) but most of them are not going to be full length only spares are going to run on the (A) for an emergency or AM or PM rush hours

Again... why??? Why would they pay so much money to buy new trains, only to restrict them to peak runs or emergencies? How on earth does that make sense?

Alright, maybe that's not what they actually do...they're probably run all of them regardless of the spare ratio. Both the four-car sets and five-car sets will be maintain at the same shop anyway.

Yeah, that sounds more likely. A train is a train, the (MTA) won't care if they have to replace a dead R179 with an R46.

Exactly, hell they might be able to mix match them with R160's. And if they can, the (A) is definitely not getting them and niether is the (C)... im almost sure the (C) is getting the "Hand me down" 160's from ENY

Is that what we're calling them now? Trains that are less than 10 years old are considered "hand me downs" now??? Christ.

Again... why??? Why would they pay so much money to buy new trains, only to restrict them to peak runs or emergencies? How on earth does that make sense?

Yeah, that sounds more likely. A train is a train, the (MTA) won't care if they have to replace a dead R179 with an R46.

Is that what we're calling them now? Trains that are less than 10 years old are considered "hand me downs" now??? Christ.

The R179s are mainly going to be on the (C),(J), (Z) that's why you rarely see them on the (A) some full length cars are going to run on the (A) but it has to go through testing first before they can actually put them in service

Correct. It's similar to the 48 R42s on the (J). They can always run at any given time until they break down and replaced with an R160, as the R160 is the majority of the (J) fleet. Not counting the current R32/R160 swap, actually.

@R3216068E: Remember that only 4 trains of R179s will be in five-car sets and the rest of the R179 fleet will be four-car sets, and those four-car sets will end up on the BMT Eastern Divsion and the (C) train.

Edited by RollOver

The 160's were supposed to be compatible with the 143's. (They're apparently not even completely compatible with the 160's using the other propulsion). So I wouldn't count on compatibility with 179's.

So what we end up with is a handful of oddball equipment that can't run with anything else. If they do go to 207/Pitkin, then they probably should be the fthe Rock Park shuttle. OPTO lines should be priority for the extra NTT's. I would say the (G) (The 160A-2's were originally said to be for that line), but I'm not sure if there will be enough. 

What they really should have done was stick with the original plan, instead of flipping the number of 4 and 5 car units.

I still don't think CI will get the 40 car sets since they'll be oddballs, but the R179's will be very different from the R160's, mainly the trucks so they'll be oddballs, the trucks will be like the R142 trucks

The only thing that might make the R179's to CI possible is the simple fact that Jamaica would need more R160's, 4-5 trainsets to be exact for (F) service and CBTC, the original plan is for CBTC to be active only on the express tracks, the (F) will need to be 100% R160 for this to happen, those R46's will have to go somewhere,probably the (A) for extra service

And who knows some 8 car unit R179's might pop up on the (G) it would make sense to do that if CI is getting 40 R179's, plus by the time the R179 order is complete (late 2017-early 2018) the ridership on the (G) might increase since it's becoming a feeder route and may need more cars added, but who knows what could happen

It is possible for the (G) to get R179s the (G) was one of the routes the (MTA) originally planned to put the R179s I doubt it would get R179s but if a couple of R179s do pop on the (G) where will the 4 car sets of R68s go? I know they are definitely not going back to the (N) or the (Q) so would they go to the (B)

Let's not complicate things further and keep things simple as is. The four-car R179s are only going to the (C) and the BMT Eastern Division. Period. The (G) can't have any R179s because there wouldn't even be enough for it anyway, not to mention that it's 300 feet unit long. It makes little to no sense to give its R68/A fleet to the (B) when that line already has enough trains for service and spares in its entire fleet. Once a line has enough trains for service and spares, how does it make sense to shift the cars around like that? The days of spreading every fleet of cars amongst the system and/or oddball fleets are done. Each and every car type is assigned to only one shop, and each shop (aside from ENY) has one or two car types assigned for maintaince and inspection. That's how they keep costs down.

The 160's were supposed to be compatible with the 143's. (They're apparently not even completely compatible with the 160's using the other propulsion). So I wouldn't count on compatibility with 179's.

So what we end up with is a handful of oddball equipment that can't run with anything else. If they do go to 207/Pitkin, then they probably should be the fthe Rock Park shuttle. OPTO lines should be priority for the extra NTT's. I would say the (G) (The 160A-2's were originally said to be for that line), but I'm not sure if there will be enough. 

What they really should have done was stick with the original plan, instead of flipping the number of 4 and 5 car units.

It's not that they are incompatible propulsion wise. The MTA figured out back in the 80s that trains generally run better when they all are of the same type and propulsion. That's why you don't see mixed trains like back then.

What's your point and justification? The R46s provide full-time OPTO service on the Rock Park Shuttle. Obviously, the five-car R179s can cover the entirety of the Rock Park shuttle fleet, which is a pretty wide range.

However, the likelihood of seeing the five-car R179s elsewhere except the (A) and the Rock Park shuttle is minimal at best. There's no point in them going to Jamaica (not that I'm accusing you for saying that, just saying in general of course) since CBTC on the QB line won't even be fully automated until mid or late 2020 (?) and the R46s won't be leaving for another 5-10 years. And there's no point in them going to Coney Island either, especially since the (Q) already has enough trains for its permanent reroute to SAS.

They only need a few more R160 trains and those few more R160 trains would obviously be from Jamaica in exchange for a few more R46 trains from Pitkin, meaning the (F) will run a bit more R46s than it does now. The five-car R179s and the four-car R179s (as well as any R160s transfered from ENY) will all be maintain together at 207th Street Shop.

Edited by RollOver

Let's not complicate things further and keep things simple as is. The four-car R179s are only going to the (C) and the BMT Eastern Division. Period. The (G) can't have any R179s because there wouldn't even be enough for it anyway, not to mention that it's 300 feet unit long. It makes little to no sense to give its R68/A fleet to the (B) when that line already has enough trains for service and spares in its entire fleet. Once a line has enough trains for service and spares, how does it make sense to shift the cars around like that? The days of spreading every fleet of cars amongst the system and/or oddball fleets are done. Each and every car type is assigned to only one shop, and each shop (aside from ENY) has one or two car types assigned for maintaince and inspection. That's how they keep costs down.

I'm just curious to what the (MTA) Will Do, Are They Going to be smart about it IMO they should keep the car assignments simple and let 207 st yard and ENY do the maintenance yeah there are only 300 trains coming so there won't be enough R179s to go around anyway since 207 st yard is equipped to handle NTTs they should be mainly on the (C), (J), (Z) and of course some should be on the (A) for an emergency or AM or PM rush hours

You'll also see the four-car 179s on the (L) (if any of the 179 cars become equipped with CBTC) and (M) too, since 92 out of the 372 R160s transfered from ENY to 207 are obviously permanent on the (C). The four-car R160s and the four-car 179s can run on the (C) and the BMT Eastern Division at any given time.

And the five-car 179s can run on the (A) as full 600 feet units and/or the Rock Park shuttle as 300 feet units via OPTO service at any given time too.

Edited by RollOver

You'll also see the four-car 179s on the (L) (if any of the 179 cars become equipped with CBTC) and (M) too, since 92 out of the 372 R160s transfered from ENY to 207 are obviously permanent on the (C). The four-car R160s and the four-car 179s can run on the (C) and the BMT Eastern Division at any given time.

And the five-car 179s can run on the (A) as full 600 feet units and/or the Rock Park shuttle as 300 feet units via OPTO service at any given time too.

True but i doubt they would put it on the Rockaway park (S) its pointless to purchase new trains and put them on (S) lines and of course the R179s are going to be equipped with CBTC the (MTA) would be wasting their money trying to upgrade the system with CBTC if they are not going to purchase trains equipped with CBTC

What's your point and justification? The R46s provide full-time OPTO service on the Rock Park Shuttle. Obviously, the five-car R179s can cover the entirety of the Rock Park shuttle fleet, which is a pretty wide range.

However, the likelihood of seeing the five-car R179s elsewhere except the (A) and the Rock Park shuttle is minimal at best. There's no point in them going to Jamaica (not that I'm accusing you for saying that, just saying in general of course) since CBTC on the QB line won't even be fully automated until mid or late 2020 (?) and the R46s won't be leaving for another 5-10 years. And there's no point in them going to Coney Island either, especially since the (Q) already has enough trains for its permanent reroute to SAS.

They only need a few more R160 trains and those few more R160 trains would obviously be from Jamaica in exchange for a few more R46 trains from Pitkin, meaning the (F) will run a bit more R46s than it does now. The five-car R179s and the four-car R179s (as well as any R160s transfered from ENY) will all be maintain together at 207th Street Shop.

Because if you throw NTTs out there, it eliminates the need for you to "enable yourself*". NTTs are perfect for OPTO lines.

*Enable yourself: All cars after the R42s (sans R62/As) have door enablers that act like a secondary lock on train doors. Whenever a T/O gets to any station, he must push a button corresponding to the side the doors will open on which allows the C/R to open the doors on that side. You don't push the enabler, the doors won't open no matter what the C/R does.

Now in OPTO mode, you are both theoretically a T/O and a C/R at the same time. At every station, you still have to enable the doors (T/O), plus open the doors on the corresponding side (C/R). On the NTT cars, in OPTO mode door enabling is disabled (shuttle mode) and you can just open and close the doors on any side without the need to "enable yourself" since the train already knows its just you in there.

That's what he means...