R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

And furthermore, there are only a handful of R32s in work service. Work cars are occasionally put back in service (3718 comes to mind), but it's not all that common. The 9th Ave set (3642, I wanna say?) and the 207 cars (3511?) have been out of revenue service for a while. Obviously with A Div cars it's a different story, as those single 62As are used.

There's another one I think that usually does garbage duty in the summer and is brought back by Fall

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why don't we take the R32's/R42's/R38's that are in service as work trains and revert them back to passenger service?

There are no R38 or R42s in work service.... but you do have those 2 set moth ball R42s laying Around at 207 that have been there for a few years now but it is not known what they will do with them.

There are no R38 or R42s in work service.... but you do have those 2 set moth ball R42s laying Around at 207 that have been there for a few years now but it is not known what they will do with them.

Well those two cars are suppose to be for when the R42's were in a 10 car set and placed on the (A) but that hasn't happen in a while.

those R42's retired in December 2009 and were scrapped in 2013 (Dumb move)

the SIRT R44's are worse than the R32's, their bodies are shot and they ride like shit, this is another problem the MTA is facing (behind the scenes) i don't know how they can hold up for another 7-10 years

This is why Kawasaki should have gotten the order, even if the order came in, some R32's would have still stayed until the R211's due to increased service, with this being delayed, you can kiss the (W) goodbye until the order is completed, this is going to set everything back 7 years, this is why MTA should have a reserve fleet instead of scrapping everything they see, they should have cherry picked the Best R44's and threw them in storage instead of scrapping all of them, some didn't have bad frames but the first batch of cars had very bad frames and they were shot

All I can say is, being from Canada, I'm damn proud of the way our Bombardier is performing on this R179 order, "eh??" (not!!!!)

Bombardier seems to be losing their touch. Anyone who has been following the progress of Toronto's Flexity order should not be surprised that they're also not doing their best work on the R179 order.

Well, it's a good thing Kawasaki took the 188 order. I really do hope Bombardier is being penalized for these extensive delays. It's not like they're new to the game here. They've been building subway cars for the better part of 30 years. This is beyond ridiculous.

Bombardier seems to be losing their touch. Anyone who has been following the progress of Toronto's Flexity order should not be surprised that they're also not doing their best work on the R179 order.

Yes, I see you're a fan of our good ole' TTC.  Yes, we are pretty unhappy with Bombardier here in Toronto too. They've been having some corporate trouble, and on on the stock market to boot.  No wonder.

Yeah wasn't there at least 64 R44's that were in ok condition sitting at Piktin or 207 for a few years before the MTA decided to scrap them. I know the MTA regrets that decision. It is crazy how everything under the R44's were suppose to be gone today but a problem the (MTA) was already aware of caught up to them which cause the R32's and some R42's to retire. Now I really wonder what the MTA would have done if they scrapped and retire every R32 and R42 before the R44's really started showing their problems.

That is true. If the MTA did scrap the R32's and R42's, the least thing you would be seeing is service cuts and fleets spread out all around the system. Lets see what the (MTA) has messed up so far:

Shortage in Westchester Yard (6)

R179 Order Hold Up

6$ Million to be spent on keeping the R32's on their feet until 2022.

Besides, why was the test train rejected yet AGAIN.

Edited by Javier

How the hell is any of that the MTA's fault? Moreover, how is keeping the R32s going a screw up? Would you rather they retire them all and have a shortage? Since you brought up car shortages as complaint 1, I'm guessing not!

The test train was rejected because it was found unsatisfactory

How the hell is any of that the MTA's fault? Moreover, how is keeping the R32s going a screw up? Would you rather they retire them all and have a shortage? Since you brought up car shortages as complaint 1, I'm guessing not!

The test train was rejected because it was found unsatisfactory

It kinda is MTA fault because they went for the LOWEST Bidder for the R179 contract which was Bombardier. 

Did I say that it was the (MTA)'s fault?

Yes, you did.

I quote: "Lets see what the (MTA) has messed up so far:

Shortage in Westchester Yard (6)

R179 Order Hold Up"

Bombardier is not some no name, low end nobody that they needed to do a background check on. They are a major player in the transit market that have built rolling stock for the MTA before.

It kinda is MTA fault because they went for the LOWEST Bidder for the R179 contract which was Bombardier.

And Bombardier has been making subway cars for how long? They are not new to the business and have been responsible for many orders of subway cars.. the R62As, which, despite their many teething troubles, they still managed to get delivered according to schedule, the R142s, not to mention countless customers for trams, subways and trains overseas.

Yes, you did.

I quote: "Lets see what the (MTA) has messed up so far:

Shortage in Westchester Yard (6)

R179 Order Hold Up"

Bombardier is not some no name, low end nobody that they needed to do a background check on. They are a major player in the transit market that have built rolling stock for the MTA before.

And Bombardier has been making subway cars for how long? They are not new to the business and have been responsible for many orders of subway cars.. the R62As, which, despite their many teething troubles, they still managed to get delivered according to schedule, the R142s, not to mention countless customers for trams, subways and trains overseas.

Actually the R62As had to reset it's 30 day testing 3-4 times before they were able to deliver them. The R142s had a ton of issues when the pilot train started testing

Actually the R62As had to reset it's 30 day testing 3-4 times before they were able to deliver them. The R142s had a ton of issues when the pilot train started testing

The R62As: Yeah, but:

1) the test train arrived according to schedule, and

2) despite the many technological problems, Bombardier still managed to deliver the fleet on time in 1987.

I have not heard much about issues with the R142s, but I'm assuming that they were your standard teething troubles. Despite the fiasco with the R62As, the (MTA) thought they were competent enough to build the R110Bs and R142s. So, again, how is the (MTA) to blame for thinking that Bombardier would be able to produce the rolling stock in a timely fashion?

those R42's retired in December 2009 and were scrapped in 2013 (Dumb move)

the SIRT R44's are worse than the R32's, their bodies are shot and they ride like shit, this is another problem the MTA is facing (behind the scenes) i don't know how they can hold up for another 7-10 years

This is why Kawasaki should have gotten the order, even if the order came in, some R32's would have still stayed until the R211's due to increased service, with this being delayed, you can kiss the (W) goodbye until the order is completed, this is going to set everything back 7 years, this is why MTA should have a reserve fleet instead of scrapping everything they see, they should have cherry picked the Best R44's and threw them in storage instead of scrapping all of them, some didn't have bad frames but the first batch of cars had very bad frames and they were shot

It's pretty understandable here. But the problem is (in my opinion) is the passenger complaints or rider adovacy groups. They have been calling for new trains to replace the R32's and 42's.

It's pretty understandable here. But the problem is (in my opinion) is the passenger complaints or rider adovacy groups. They have been calling for new trains to replace the R32's and 42's.

At this point it doesn't matter what they think , they can complain about them all they want the R32s and R42s are still here to stay until 2022..

The R62As: Yeah, but:

1) the test train arrived according to schedule, and

2) despite the many technological problems, Bombardier still managed to deliver the fleet on time in 1987.

I have not heard much about issues with the R142s, but I'm assuming that they were your standard teething troubles. Despite the fiasco with the R62As, the (MTA) thought they were competent enough to build the R110Bs and R142s. So, again, how is the (MTA) to blame for thinking that Bombardier would be able to produce the rolling stock in a timely fashion?

R142s had a lot of issues worst than the R62As. The R142 didn't finished delivery until 2003 and it was supposed to be finished by mid 2002. The Option order (7751-7810) were originally supposed to be R142s but it was switched to the Kawasaki and its techinaqually called the R142S (not the same as the R40 Slants). They also had to go through major overhaul back in 2006-2007 which was why R142As ran on the (6) for that period and R62As ran on the (4) . And as for other countries someone mentioned it was having trouble with international cars having issues for years

R142s had a lot of issues worst than the R62As. The R142 didn't finished delivery until 2003 and it was supposed to be finished by mid 2002. The Option order (7751-7810) were originally supposed to be R142s but it was switched to the Kawasaki and its techinaqually called the R142S (not the same as the R40 Slants). They also had to go through major overhaul back in 2006-2007 which was why R142As ran on the (6) for that period and R62As ran on the (4) . And as for other countries someone mentioned it was having trouble with international cars having issues for years

And yet... the (MTA) thought they were trustworthy enough to build the R179 order. Go figure.

Mind, I don't think they'll be so receptive to Bombardier in the future!

And yet... the (MTA) thought they were trustworthy enough to build the R179 order. Go figure.

Mind, I don't think they'll be so receptive to Bombardier in the future!

Lol I meant R142As ran on the (2) during the R142s work back in 2006-2007. And they chose Bombardier because they chose the cheapest bid out there which is sad