R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Passing word along (from a Bombardier employee) that the original test train that failed the initial inspections will be scrapped and a new test train is being built. Unsure if this affects delivery timeline or not. Test train numbers: 3000-3009.

Are there any pictures? I doubt it.

I am not surprised about the numbering at all. Its really that bad?

Passing word along (from a Bombardier employee) that the original test train that failed the initial inspections will be scrapped and a new test train is being built. Unsure if this affects delivery timeline or not. Test train numbers: 3000-3009.

I know it's probably just coincidental because of the current car numbering availability, but it's kind of funny that, once again, almost that exact same car number sequence is giving Bombardier and NYC Transit headaches.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just like DBZ revived Frieza Im reviving this thread thats right :angry: anyway does anyone know when the first R179 test train is supposed to arrive?​

You still have a few years to go. Last we heard the first R179's will be built sometime after 2019.

The R32's are expected to last for another 6-7 years.

The original retirement date for all R32's was suppose to be 2019 because the (MTA) thought that the R179 order was gonna be on track and then order the R211's (which hopefully, they pick bombardier to do).

:lol::lol::lol::lol: I think Bombardier is done, at least for a while. When they finish their R179s, then MAYBE we can consider bringing Bombardier back. Edited by MysteriousBtrain

With the financial turmoil the company is currently embedded in, the MTA would be wise to expand their list of car builders and move away from Bombardier. While both they and Kawasaki are familiar with the transit system, it doesn't do anyone any good if they can't deliver, nor does it help if there's only one viable option for car builders. Bombardier's production problems go way beyond the 179 order and I'd rather the MTA not just default to one builder, if not for anything else, for the sake of reasonable bids. We cannot afford price gouging because of a monopoly.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised the MTA hasn't joined the TTC and announce any type of legal action against Bombardier for failure to deliver a product within a reasonable amount of time. Kawasaki has managed to deliver their cars within a couple of years at most of winning the bid for purchase, even if there were a few minor hiccups. Bombardier has had the project since 2012 and we won't see the first car until late next year at the very earliest.