SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

1 hour ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Don’t know, I had only gotten on at 42nd.

By the way, I just caught an R46 (Q) at Newkirk, think it might be a rerouted (R)

To say a train went BIE because the storm door glass was missing is ludicrous and asinine. You don’t even have supporting facts to make such a claim bro. 🤦‍♂️

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, VIP said:

To say a train went BIE because the storm door glass was missing is ludicrous and asinine. You don’t even have supporting facts to make such a claim bro. 🤦‍♂️

In the photo you can see the other car is empty as they were clearing that one out before taking it out of service. A dude with a toolbox had come by and they kept the train there for a few minutes that ended up delaying a (D) behind it. The car numbers were 2832-2833 IIRC. 

45 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

In the photo you can see the other car is empty as they were clearing that one out before taking it out of service. A dude with a toolbox had come by and they kept the train there for a few minutes that ended up delaying a (D) behind it. The car numbers were 2832-2833 IIRC. 

Ok, being taken out of service versus BIE are very different occurrences though. I’m not saying I don’t believe you, it’s hard to believe a signal malfunction, a trip, debris, or someone pulling the emergency cord led to that discovery. 

3 minutes ago, VIP said:

Ok, being taken out of service versus BIE are very different occurrences though. I’m not saying I don’t believe you, it’s hard to believe a signal malfunction, a trip, debris, or someone pulling the emergency cord led to that discovery. 

I thought BIE was a term for being taken out of a service and not a cause for it, my bad.

11 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

I thought BIE was a term for being taken out of a service and not a cause for it, my bad.

Its ok. My apologies if I came off strong. BIE= brakes in emergency. The situation you witnessed is referred to as a “12-11”

9 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Don’t know, I had only gotten on at 42nd.

By the way, I just caught an R46 (Q) at Newkirk, think it might be a rerouted (R)

(R) to 96 St at 7AM, makes a run as a (Q) to Stillwell Av for C.I Yard access. 

2 hours ago, EphraimB said:

Why is the (N) still being called the Broadway Local when it goes Express?

If you mean the info boards at Coney Island, those were programmed when the (N) was a Broadway Local (between 2010-2016) and the programs simply weren't updated after the 2016 service changes.

11 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Are there any timers around 49th St on the (Q)? It seems to always drag through there and also seems to have really slowed down between 57th and 96th.

Northbound there’s a one shot in the station (49), a set of 2 shots between 49 and 57, and then again a one shot in 57. Southbound there are a bunch of 2 shots entering 42. Those all predated SAS, and AFAIK there have been no changes made since SAS, so sadly can’t speak to the runtime issues. 

Edited by RR503

26 minutes ago, RR503 said:

Northbound there’s a one shot in the station (49), a set of 2 shots between 49 and 57, and then again a one shot in 57. Southbound there are a bunch of 2 shots entering 42. Those all predated SAS, and AFAIK there have been no changes made since SAS, so sadly can’t speak to the runtime issues. 

Northbound between 57/7 and Lex/63 that curve has 2 shots almost the entire way, i think those were put in during the 2016 rehab/resignalling of the BMT 63rd st connecto. 

Just now, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Northbound between 57/7 and Lex/63 that curve has 2 shots almost the entire way, i think those were put in during the 2016 rehab/resignalling of the BMT 63rd st connecto. 

Correct -- GT30s if my memory is working.

44 minutes ago, RR503 said:

Any reason for them to be there? Seems a bit unnecessary given the switches are rarely used at 57th and none are located at 42nd.

17 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Any reason for them to be there? Seems a bit unnecessary given the switches are rarely used at 57th and none are located at 42nd.

Some are holdovers from the era when the (Q) turned at 57, but if I had to guess the majority are mitigating control line deficiencies (areas where the signal design does not provide enough stopping distance for safety) meaning that removing them would be complex. Expect the majority to stay until CBTC or some other major resignalling. 

On 3/23/2019 at 11:12 PM, Calvin said:

Not sure when this started but Bedford Av on the (L) inside the tiles are off on the side and lights in the middle are all off, temp lights were on on the bulbs. 

I saw this at least back in late February. While it sure doesn't look good I find it...kinda interesting to see the station practically gutted while still being open. A peek behind the curtain of sorts, IMO

R188s are coming out clean other than the 160s at C.I Yard. Some units got washed on the outside looking brand new. 

Also, for those interested in G/Os, R142As on the (6).. may come back....this weekend

Edited by Calvin

My friend sent me a picture of a new R46 floor. It’s gray and has black specks.

Also on another note, some of the R160’s like 8653-8657(I believe) have like new interiors. It’s Similar to 8722-8727, the one that got security cameras and all that. I only realized by looking at the ends of the cars. Idk how to describe it but it’s not exactly a new interior lol

8 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

My friend sent me a picture of a new R46 floor. It’s gray and has black specks.

Also on another note, some of the R160’s like 8653-8657(I believe) have like new interiors. It’s Similar to 8722-8727, the one that got security cameras and all that. I only realized by looking at the ends of the cars. Idk how to describe it but it’s not exactly a new interior lol

8653-8662 and 8713-8722 were the original pilot sets so they came in before the MTA spec'd the stainless steel.