SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

3 minutes ago, S78 via Hylan said:

Crowding will happen during the rush no matter what you do. Extending the (J) would not provide “service diversity” as you put. You’re just throwing another issue into the mix. 

I’m all for improving passenger service, but  not if it entails extending a line aimlessly. It  didn’t work with the brown M and it won’t work with the (J).

Of course crowding will happen during the rush — I mean they call it rush hour for a reason, right? The issue is relative crowding. Concentrating your loads onto a small set of lines sets up single points of failure, and makes said lines operationally ‘brittle’ (higher dwells, less crowding margin). That contributes to disruption impact in that more people are impacted than is necessary and in that the disruption itself is wont to cascade temporally. 

Adding the (J) is definitionally creating service diversity — BMT riders have more Lower Manhattan options, which in turn helps keep them off other lines. And then, of course, 4th local gets more frequency. The key is to do it well (so schedule things properly) and to run the service at a high enough frequency that it is relevant. The Brown M suffered especially from the latter flaw — it’s 6-7tph simply wasn’t adequate for folks who had access to the 20tph IRT lines at Barclays, or even the 10tph (R). Frequency (and also service hours — off peak service allows folks to really rely on a service option) begets ridership. 

Do I believe that more service is *the* solution here? No, I hope to have made that clear in my posts in the other thread. But there’s more to it than just service levels.  

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Calvin said:

There are new stickers telling those to STOP walking between cars when the train is moving: (Stay onboard: Do not walk unless there's an emergency).. Seen on a 160, and 142. 

Some may feel like it’s a waste but these are needed just like the “Do not hold doors” and “Do not lean on doors” stickers. Main reason; Lawsuit prevention. So now if someone walks in between cars while the train is in motion, and gets hurt or killed, the Tranist authority isnt liable. Their defense will be “Rules/regulations and signage” citation would state something like this “Plaintiff failed to abide or acted in negligence” 

56 minutes ago, VIP said:

Some may feel like it’s a waste but these are needed just like the “Do not hold doors” and “Do not lean on doors” stickers. Main reason; Lawsuit prevention. So now if someone walks in between cars while the train is in motion, and gets hurt or killed, the Tranist authority isnt liable. Their defense will be “Rules/regulations and signage” citation would state something like this “Plaintiff failed to abide or acted in negligence” 

I know its mean to say, I hope those ppl get penalized if they cause service disruption intentionally. Like in Japan, the ppl(and their family members) will be fined and need to pay the loss if they attempt to suicide in the subway system. 

11 hours ago, mine248 said:

This one doesn't really follows the MTA design guidelines, but it gets the point across.

To a degree it makes it immediately stand out – it's big and red, and has a giant "STOP" written on it. Reminds me of the new fare evasion ones they've put up all over fare controls around the system

9 minutes ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

Yup, that's correct, I don't know if it was scrapped but it is presumed so for now.

I was surprised at how long they left it in the storefront after the Asics store closed down. They cleared pretty much everything else out a long time ago. Over a year if I'm not mistaken. 

Radiolab from WNYC did a story about the sound of the R142's inverters, and how it sounds like "Somewhere" from West Side Story. The specific part of the show begins at about 55 minutes in; it's about 20 minutes long. It's a good listen, and I really enjoyed the piece https://www.wnycstudios.org/story/asking-another-friend

Edited by Enjineer

11 hours ago, Enjineer said:

Radiolab from WNYC did a story about the sound of the R142's inverters, and how it sounds like "Somewhere" from West Side Story. The specific part of the show begins at about 55 minutes in; it's about 20 minutes long. It's a good listen, and I really enjoyed the piece https://www.wnycstudios.org/story/asking-another-friend

Ok that was pretty awesome... I never noticed that.

I've never been a fan of that noise (I prefer the MITRAC sounds myself) but its pretty cool that it sounds like West Side Story

7 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

but its pretty cool that it sounds like West Side Story

I remember the NYT did an article from at least a decade ago on this coincidence, but they definitely didn't go into as much detail for the reason as to why. I really liked the casual explanation of how the inverters work, and how they make the sound, since I never really grasped that before. 

I've also come to like the ONIX sounds more in the past few months – when the HVAC is off I like hearing the motors whirring up along with the inverters on the R160s. 

Edited by Enjineer

On 3/11/2019 at 5:45 PM, VIP said:

The announcements are designed as VIP said to cut the lawsuits as the information has been posted for the person to read. Whether he or she reads and chooses not to follow it is their business but now the TA can state for the record that the person had been warned prior to not following the posted rule.

It is the same thing with the "Caution; Bus is turning" as it gives a warning to pedestrians and motorists that either the bus is turning from one street to another or is pulling out of the bus stop. This is another one of those ideas that came out of the failure of either a motorist or most likely a pedestrian to look and wait for the bus to do what it is supposed to do and is an outcome of our litigious society.